Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

I've bought each day, and haven't had trouble finding them [[CVS one day, gas stations the other two). The first two copies weren't very strong -- lots of regional type stuff that didn't interest me. But today's edition was much different, with stories from Oakland and Macomb counties filling the paper. Like nothing about Detroit, or even Wayne County. Strange, but interesting.

I don't know if that was a one day thing, or they plan to be a paper for the suburbs than anything Detroit. Not many ads in the paper though. They must have some major capital behind it to sustain virtually no revenue for any period of time.

It's at least temporarily dead. From Facebook:

< <
    Detroit Daily Press Due to circimstances beyond our control, lack of advertising, lateness of our press runs and lack of distribution and sales, we find it necessary to temporarily suspend publication of the Detroit Daily Press until after the 1st of the year. Once we can fix these things, we plan to be back stronger and more organized wh...en we return. This is just a bump in the road and not the end of the Detroit Daily Press.

> >

Just talked to a good friend who worked for the paper.
    My friend doubts paper will come back and has "folded for good."
    "I don't know if anyone even subscribed. the phones never did work. the computers, a joke. they didn't have software licenses. etc."
    Employees haven't been paid yet.
    Word on the street [[from a different friend): Paper launched now to try to tap holiday ad revenue, but they didn't realize firms' ad budgets were already in for the season. Without that cash, the company didn't have the revenue to stay afloat.

My take on it on CrainsDetroit this afternoon.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...FREE/911279996

They say they'll be back in January. Speculation that they rushed to try to get holiday dollars make sense. I'm waiting to hear back from 'em.

Hope they can pull it off. Having a third Detroit paper is fun.

Sorry for all the folks that are affected by this right before the holidays.

From the Freep, Detroit Daily Press suspends publication:

http://www.freep.com/article/2009112...ds-publication

The very latest from the owner of the Detroit Daily Press and what's going on/happened with it:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/shea

The examiner.com article he links makes some fairly serious allegations against the existing papers and their unions. That's a highly political source that has been unreliable in the past, and I'm not sure how much stock to put in it. Comments?

http://www.examiner.com/x-1800-Detro...ess-suspension

Wow, that's harsh. I don't know what to think of the Examiner piece, except I suspect it's exaggerated a bit.

Sorry but i'm not buying that story from the examiner... I really don't think that the News and Freep took a newspaper that thinks "Detroit'll" is a word [[yes, that's right. this "newspaper" ran a headline containing the "word" Detroit'll) seriously enough to bother blackmailing CVS into not carrying it?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4