Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I don't care how incompetent Detroit elected officials were and are. The only question that I am concerned about when it comes to the EM/EFM controversy is this. Are we, or are we not, citizens of the United States?

Does United States citizenship only apply to those who are smart, competent, and prosperous? Does it not apply to those who are foolish, ignorant, or poor?

Does every free adult citizen of the United States have the right to elect representation?

Does every free adult citizen of the United States have the right to elect representation, unless they are residents of the city of Detroit?

Look. You can't pick and choose whether or not to abide by the Constitution based on whether you like the outcomes of elections. It would be nice if we could. I believe that the most disastrous electoral choice in recent United States history was the controversial Presidential election of 2000. I believe that the financial and social consequences of that election will be far longer lasting, and have more implications for all of our lives, and for the planet, and perhaps even for the species, than the silliness of Detroit political grandstanding.

Yet you don't hear me, or anyone who thoughtfully agrees with me, advocating for the widespread disenfranchisement of the United States citizenry.

I have told you before that I think some of you are making a very dangerous argument, one that you will come to regret. They are coming for you, and your children, and your grandchildren, next. And it's only because many of you think that you're somehow above it all that they're able to fool you every single time.

Keep it up. I would dearly love to be wrong. But it's frightening that many of you, and those running around the city running their mouths, fail to recognize the endgame. For once, something is bigger than Detroit and its terminal dysfunction. Pay attention.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on bankruptcy, which is the alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    I would be interested to hear your thoughts on bankruptcy, which is the alternative.
    That's the way it SHOULD be handled anyway

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    That's the way it SHOULD be handled anyway
    That's the way Detroit's financial situation will likely be handled. We're not the first city to be in this position, and we certainly won't be the last.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    That's the way Detroit's financial situation will likely be handled. We're not the first city to be in this position, and we certainly won't be the last.
    That's kind of my point...if you are going to do a Chicken Little, end of human rights [[with the usual racial bend) bit with respect to the EFM, I am interested in your position on bankruptcy, which will most certainly be worse.

I am interested in your position on bankruptcy, which will most certainly be worse.
    The outcome will pretty much be the same either way for Detroit proper, so I don't see your point here...

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The outcome will pretty much be the same either way for Detroit proper, so I don't see your point here...
    I am sure there are those who would prefer a bankruptcy out of spite just because a lower bond rating will hurt the state as a whole more [[and, by proxy, Detroit proper more). Anyway the point is why is the possibility of an EFM being slammed when the alternative is bankruptcy? What is the point of treating one as a trampling on the Constitution [[when it clearly isn't), without treating the other the same?

Anyway the point is why is the possibility of an EFM being slammed when the alternative is bankruptcy? What is the point of treating one as a trampling on the Constitution [[when it clearly isn't), without treating the other the same?
    How is bankruptcy trampling on the constitution? If you're financially insolvent then that's the proper recourse to take. Remind you, DPS is still buried in debt under a EFM. But now the citizens of Detroit have lost their right to vote for representatives from the community to manage their schools and the teacher's union have effectively lost their right to negotiate their contracts, both of which are quite possibly illegal. And it will stay this way until the job "according to the state" is considered "done" [[which could be never). There's no reason the same thing won't happen to Detroit the municipality. Bankruptcy would be quicker anyway. Judges have better things to do than sit on their ass and dictate what happens in Detroit forever like an EFM does. They'll do what's necessary and move on to their next case. Furthermore, Detroiters will have the choice to decide if they want to file for bankruptcy. No one will come in to tell them when and how to do it.

What is the point of treating one as a trampling on the Constitution [[when it clearly isn't), without treating the other the same?
    I'd argue it's clearly not very clear.

As for myself, I'm just not that interested in dictatorship.