Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    I saw the show too and thought it was very interesting. I'm not familiar with cleveland but many of the neighborhoods shown seemed to be manicured and in fairly good shape. Also not much neglect and as compared to Detroit. Maybe they showed the better areas.

The sad thing is, it appears people are not moving back to Cleveland at an alarming rate either.
    Cleveland is culturally and economically very similar to Detroit, and has suffered a lot of the same consequences over time. The area has continued to sprawl ever-outward for decades, with negligible population growth. The East Side neighborhoods have been devastated due to outmigration.

There are pockets, however, especially on the near West Side, where neighborhoods have begun to gentrify in the past 20 years or so. There's still a long way to go, and I'm not sure demolition of the housing stock is the final answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    ...There's still a long way to go, and I'm not sure demolition of the housing stock is the final answer.
    Here, someone has to take a pragmatic look at what constitutes housing stock. A lot of it can never be cost justified to make safe, let alone comfortable. The housing stock, and neighborhoods for that matter, faired much better when there were more multi family and semi detached options.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGrixdale View Post
    Here, someone has to take a pragmatic look at what constitutes housing stock. A lot of it can never be cost justified to make safe, let alone comfortable. The housing stock, and neighborhoods for that matter, faired much better when there were more multi family and semi detached options.
    But at the same time, "vacant" doesn't mean "structurally unsound" or "unsafe". Unless you're George Jackson.