Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Ummm, Fenway sells out because the fans love the Red Sox, not the stadium. The Silverdome used to sell out 80,000 seats and it was a piece of crap. I'm glad you can write in condescending tones and act like a general dickhead, but I was just trying to counter your argument that "If Fenway works in Boston, Tiger Stadium could work here."

Geeez, DY has gotten a little crazy. If you make a counter point to anybody they immediately attack with vitriol. Relax dude, and thanks for your very thought provoking post.

Sorry double post edit.

Thank you for putting me in my place as you countered my opinion and many others incredibly well. Not being a "general dickhead" just a footsoldier leaving the hard work to posters such as you.

Default Demo Co.[Farrow] calls police on fans on Trumbull and they blow Farrow off! priceless

anbody catch this awesome act of defiance on Trumbull this afternoon?

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/sports/090609_tiger_stadium

Fans Get Testy with
    Stadium Guards
    Updated: Tuesday, 09 Jun 2009, 7:37 PM EDT
    Jason Carr
    DETROIT - Some fans of old Tiger Stadium got a little testy Tuesday with security at the ongoing demolition. The two sides were literally on opposite sides of the fence.

When FOX 2 arrived, fans were already gathered to mourn the passing of the old ballpark and not having much luck seeing through the fence.

"They ought to let people embrace the moment because the moment's not going to be here very much longer," said one bystander.

Then, with a snip, cut, snap, one daring Tiger Stadium enthusiast dropped part of the fence, allowing a painful panoramic view of the hulking structure that means so much to so many.
    "Sad to see. My kids won't be able to come down here and see where Babe Ruth hit home runs," one fan said.

Within minutes of the tarp being somewhat surreptitiously lowered by fans outside the gate, security guards in a golf cart show up and put the tarp back up blocking view from the street. Suddenly, one unnamed fan got into a spat with security. She yanked on the canvas tarp and he tugged it back under the fence. Guards say they are calling the police. Across the street, two officers peel out and head the other way, presumably to a more serious crime than fans taking photographs of the demolition.
    Matt has made two trips in one day. "A lot of people just don't appreciate it. I'm an ex-baseball player, but this defined my childhood. It's just sad to see right field the way this was," he said.
    Last edited by sherryrazor; June-09-09 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sherryrazor View Post
    Matt has made two trips in one day. "A lot of people just don't appreciate it. I'm an ex-baseball player, but this defined my childhood. It's just sad to see right field the way this was," he said.
    That ain't normal.

These people can stand on the pedestrain bridge over 75 and see the what remains of the stadium. Why hassle the security guards?

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    That ain't normal.

These people can stand on the pedestrain bridge over 75 and see the what remains of the stadium. Why hassle the security guards?
    These people can go to hell -- right? Maybe we should try to give them a high five for demolishing it?

See you at Comerikka, asshole, YEAH RIGHT! As If -- Ef you and the Hummer you rode in on.

Go to hell. Go spend your $$ at the Pizza Baron's Playground. Ill - itch is breaking out the champagne now that our historic ballpark and the real plan the OTSC had is now his wet dream -- LANDFILL -- think he'll invite you in his luxury box? Got season tickets? Go watch your effing Tiger games at that joke of a ballpark, and make the RIch man richer. Make sure your wear your best Brooks Brothers suit -- asshole!

I am in no mood for creeps like you.

GO PENGUINS!!!!!!!
    Last edited by sherryrazor; June-10-09 at 01:03 AM.

Jesus, Sherryrazor, did you just lose your Little Caesar's delivery job? Get over it, it's done!
    Anyway, the security guards aren't responsible for the demolition. They don't have a choice where they're stationed so, if you really want to freak out on someone, go for the man in the crane or dozer. It won't make a bit of difference
    Last edited by Alley; June-10-09 at 07:07 AM.

OMG, it's a baseball stadium....do some of you mourn the death of a human the way you mourn the old ballpark? I'm as sentimental as they come and I hate to see it gone too but come on, it's done. People have candle light vigils for children who are abducted and found buried in cement by a river. Instead of embracing the tearing down of a ballpark, go embrace family and friends which, in my opinion, are most important.

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    OMG, it's a baseball stadium....do some of you mourn the death of a human the way you mourn the old ballpark? I'm as sentimental as they come and I hate to see it gone too but come on, it's done. People have candle light vigils for children who are abducted and found buried in cement by a river. Instead of embracing the tearing down of a ballpark, go embrace family and friends which, in my opinion, are most important.
    I can pretty much guarantee that she does not. Sherry hates people, probably because she hates herself. She seems to have lots and lots of issues to work out before she can achieve any semblance of normalcy. Sherry, I wish you, and your mental health services providers, the best of luck.

Sherry hates the Bush Crime Family, Republicans and Endless War for Oil
    Sherry hates Rush, the Drug-Addled Gasbag
    Sherry hates Bill-O the Clown
    Sherry hates Sean Manatee
    Sherry hates what Ill-itch and his ilk have done to what used to be our National Pastime
    Sherry hates fans of these jackasses.

....shall I add Alley, Maof, and detmich to my shit list, are you blowhards already covered in the above categories?
    Last edited by sherryrazor; June-10-09 at 09:44 AM.

Maybe you should work on diffentiating between blowhards and people actively participating in debate before you go off to edit your shitlist.
    You're the one going off on tangents. You don't encourage others to voice their ideas if they don't agree with yours??

Quote Originally Posted by Alley View Post
    Maybe you should work on diffentiating between blowhards and people actively participating in debate before you go off to edit your shitlist.
    You're the one going off on tangents. You don't encourage others to voice their ideas if they don't agree with yours??
    I don't find her comments any more disturbing than, "Jesus, Sherryrazor, did you just lose your Little Caesar's delivery job? Get over it, it's done!"

Thanks for the support, East Detroit: I meant to tell you I like that you don't call yourself Eastpointe!

I forgot one thing in my previous post:

GO PENGUINS!!!! They seem like they got a fine young team.

Quote: "GO PENGUINS!!!! They seem like they got a fine young team."

They have two good players and a decent goalie, ANNNDD the refs on their side. We we're cheated out of at least 8 minutes of 5 on 4 hockey last night again. We would have won. I'm glad, the Wings can slaughter them here Friday to the cheers of the Detroit crowd. Really liked how their player shoved our player into the net and dislodged it on purpose when we were about to score. They are shit players and should not even be in the playoffs.

I gave money to the OTSC not because I thought the structure was worth saving, but because the actual baseball field was worth saving. Detroit doesn't need another huge weed-filled block. The baseball field is where the great memories occured that everyone remembers.

Is there a significant amount of money left in the OTSC? Why not use the remaining funds to maintain the baseball field and plant a few trees? I'd donate again to that cause.

The battle to keep the stadium is lost, but we've got to set our sites on something positive for the area. I think it can be sustainable without a ton of money.

Blarf Guest

They could have used the stadium to host professional wiffle-ball games.

I believe Alley can defend herself but there was no nasty name calling on her end. That's just down right childish. This seems to be the only way some people can communicate and it's just not cool. Adults should have decent conversations and good arguments but the name calling is wrong. Now, if you get me in a dither..........

have the "developers" who are interested in the site been publicly identified yet?

I think they are the same developers who are developing the Hudson's block. Both sites are sooooo marketable now, they can be put out as a 2 for 1 RFP..

"Is there a significant amount of money left in the OTSC? Why not use the remaining funds to maintain the baseball field and plant a few trees? I'd donate again to that cause."

What makes you think that the DEGC would let that happen? They have no interest in letting anyone have use of the site.

They publicly admitted yesterday that they have no developers lined up for the site.

detmich Guest

Isn't there a stadium in Warren that needs to be saved?

"What makes you think that the DEGC would let that happen? They have no interest in letting anyone have use of the site."

Canceling groundskeeping and removing the backstop/trees would not be hard once a developer has a legit plan for the site. The DEGC would merely be letting the conservancy maintain the grounds.

A funded group that doesn't want ownership, who don't need to build much of anything to achieve their plan, and would keep the entire site clean is a win for the fans of the field, the neighborhood, and no skin off the nose of the DEGC.

I guess I don't understand the complexities of dealing with cities and outfits like the DEGC.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post

They publicly admitted yesterday that they have no developers lined up for the site.
    If you were a business or developer would you want to have your name or company come out right now and have to deal with the bad PR? You let the dust settle and make the announcement in a few months.

Just saying that's a possibility. They probably got nada.

Rob, all of your comments are sensible. Sensible is not part of DEGC's vocabulary.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I gave money to the OTSC not because I thought the structure was worth saving, but because the actual baseball field was worth saving. Detroit doesn't need another huge weed-filled block. The baseball field is where the great memories occurred that everyone remembers.

Is there a significant amount of money left in the OTSC? Why not use the remaining funds to maintain the baseball field and plant a few trees? I'd donate again to that cause.
    The fundamental problem with preserving only the field is that you need to have something that generates enough money cover the cost of mowing the grass, picking up trash and so on. Under the OTSC plan, banquet facilities and such would have provided this.

Once there's no stadium, there's no money for the field itself.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast