Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Judge Rules Tiger Stadium Demolition Can Proceed

Just got word from Downtown.
    Last edited by Lowell; June-21-09 at 12:36 PM.

Well they better hurry, the scrap money is needed by June 15th.

And history in Detroit continues to repeat itself. Another opportunity to improve the area is lost forever.

I can't wait to see the wonderful use of the land that I have no doubt is coming!

What a sad, short-sighted decision. I guess that this fight is over. It's a pity that the 400k used to demolish this historical structure couldn't be used elsewhere in Detroit.

I bet Farrow had the demo equipment fired up to start whacking as soon as the judge's ruling came down. Anyone at or near The Corner?

Somewhere, the corners of Ilitch's mouth are twitching into something like a rictus. [[It's as close as he gets to something called "smiling.")

DetNews has a short story up. Says appeal is possible, but it doesn't look good.

http://tinyurl.com/m6l452

And Freep posts right behind it, though it's an AP story, not staff:

http://freep.com/article/20090608/NE...tion+to+resume

Motion for appeal denied, eh? Well, that's the ballgame, folks.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news..._Fate_of_Tiger

Quote Originally Posted by rajdet View Post
    Is that from today?

crawford Guest

Great news! I guess the suburban obstructionists will have to cling to another abandoned, half-demolished wreck.

I can tell you that 99% of the residents of the area that I have spoken with, including myself, backed the conservancy on this one. It's more like, the suburbanite DEGC board is obstructing what the residents want.

Quote Originally Posted by lo_to_d View Post
    I can tell you that 99% of the residents of the area that I have spoken with, including myself, backed the conservancy on this one. It's more like, the suburbanite DEGC board is obstructing what the residents want.
    agreed 100%. i'm not a corktown [[i'm in woodbridge) resident, but i speak with residents and drive through the area almost daily. that neighborhood doesn't need another parking lot. hell, TS is actually generating money! didn't they shoot a film there last friday? way to go, DEGC! the travesty of "progress" marches onward...
    Last edited by d&p; June-08-09 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by d&p View Post
    agreed 100%. i'm not a corktown [[i'm in woodbridge) resident, but i speak with residents and drive through the area almost daily. that neighborhood doesn't need another parking lot. hell, TS is actually generating money! didn't they shoot a film there last friday? way to go, DEGC! the travesty of "progress" marches onward...
    I'm excited about the new bumper crop of empty chip bags and broken liquor bottles that will spring up on the overgrown lot. Should be a boon for Corktown.

It is a sad day in Detroit, Bing is just perpetuating the cycle of corruption in the city. In a time of bought politicians it is so sad to see this cycle continue... I do not see the city telling Bing that his plans for the watermark condo's are no longer viable... And I do not see the EDC rushing to tear down the Brewster Projects which have most definitely added blight...

As a corktown resident and someone who sees the positive economic impact of the stadium even in its current form I must say it is senseless and frustrated by the negative impact this will now have on my community... No matter what they put there, it will never be what the residents of this area will be in agreement with... It makes little to no sense to do this, but makes even littler sense to be done without getting more input from the conservancy and the community. Poor planning and No Vision!

They were already demo'ing that part last week before they were stopped, no?

I heard that Novi was pushing legislation through Lansing to build a new Tiger Stadium, though the DEGC will get to vote one last time whether or not to proceed with demolision. If they once again approve to tear it down, tax money will be directed to Novi to build a new one.

The city most CERTAINLY has plans for The Corner. They've most CERTAINLY got SOMETHING up their sleeves. But they've never said so publicly. They dissed the good people of the Conservancy. They dissed Senator Carl Levin. And they DISSED my main man Ernie Harwell. They've got SOME nerve.

I say we look into the city's agreement with MCM/Farrow and get the TRUTH about all this. Expose all the lies. And find out what, if any, conflict of interest Judge Edwards had here. I'm no attorney, but I'm an educated bloke, and I felt like the city was going to get its ass handed to it in court this morning.

I suppose I'd make a horrible lawyer ... but I smell a rat.

Meanwhile, Dave Bing's continued silence is deafening.

Bing and Jackson will chalk this up as "progress" and will trot out promises[[lies) about future redevelopment. Another demo. contractor makes a buck. Check out the campaign contributions and connect the dots.

Perhaps it's a shame it's finally coming down, but face it: there is absolutely NO economic advantage to trying to preserve it.

Always follow the money.

Now that I think of it, I'm kinda GLAD the Tigers lost the Series in '06.
    Mike Ilitch doesn't DESERVE a World Series victory.

May they come oh, so close again this year, but blow it, just so Mikey can feel the frustration of failure yet again.

I think I know why they lost in '06:
    I now know why Leyland decided not to start Kenny Rogers in Game 5.
    I now know why the Tigers pitchers made all those throwing errors against the Cards. ...

It was The Curse of Tiger Stadium.

The only way to break the curse?
    I don't know.
    But I hope Mike Ilitch NEVER figures it out!

Can you really blame Ilitch for moving the team to an infinitely more comfortable stadium? I mean, the Yankees left Yankee Stadium and it will be demolished soon... Why should Tiger Stadium stand?

Quote Originally Posted by GREENTROIT View Post
    Can you really blame Ilitch for moving the team to an infinitely more comfortable stadium?
    How do you think Comerica Park is infinitely more comfortable?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast