Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
has ownership finally been settled? I want to see this entire site demolished or completely redeveloped. ..to have that entire campus serve as unofficial "ruins tourism" from now on is extremely poor vision for re-visioning the city.. "preservation" has its place, but I have a real problem with what I consider "ruin fetishism", where in a city with wide-scale blight, derelict factories/warehouses/apartments/storefronts, some people think these places should be allowed to remain untouched "on principle", remaining eyesores for the immediate community [[99% of whom don't have the money to just purchase and fix-up themselves), and no redevelopment happens that could provide jobs and tax-income for the city.. even if it were turned into public parkland, [[Packard Park?), that would be preferable to being a convenient area where wanderers/scrappers can die from falling floors, etc., and drug/gang maniacs can take kidnapped people and dump bodies..
Agreed, but the realities are probably that no one has the economic means to tear it down and recycle it. It was built at a time of great wealth, resources and optimism and in 1903-1940's dollars. Now, one would need a HUGE organizational effort combining the city, state and federal agencies and bodies to properly reduce it, recycle it and clean up the soil. It's probably a "mini" SuperFund site. I don't think it will happen anytime soon.