Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

M-1 is not a government agency, it is a private group that pledged $100 million for a 3.4 mile long light-rail system beginning at Jefferson Ave. This whole Woodward light-rail project went "off the rails" because it got expanded to a 9+ mile long system that brought with it a whole bunch of Federal involvement, which doomed M-1's plans.

If M-1 wanted to include the People Mover in their plans, they would have done so - but they were smart enough to not include it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    M-1 is not a government agency, it is a private group that pledged $100 million for a 3.4 mile long light-rail system beginning at Jefferson Ave. This whole Woodward light-rail project went "off the rails" because it got expanded to a 9+ mile long system that brought with it a whole bunch of Federal involvement, which doomed M-1's plans.

If M-1 wanted to include the People Mover in their plans, they would have done so - but they were smart enough to not include it.

There would be no way to build this without federal involvement. Woodward is M-1, a national scenic byway. Every project done to reconstruct it has used federal money. Reconstruction was to be part of the project as you can't build a railroad without shoring up its base first.

I believe the state and city subsidy was cut in half for the next budget year.I didn't say there wouldn't be federal involvement. The Bridge company is a private company that works with the feds. I'm well aware that M1 is not a government agency and I believe they originally vowed to build the smaller piece without federal money. Use the match for their bus system.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Reconstruction was to be part of the project as you can't build a railroad without shoring up its base first.
    A friend in the rail industry reminded me recently that the old streetcar rails remain under Woodward N of I-75. The railroad bed designed to handle light rail is in place. The rails were of the highest quality rail possible, exceeding today's standards, and likely could be re-used.

Reduce, reuse, recycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    A friend in the rail industry reminded me recently that the old streetcar rails remain under Woodward N of I-75. The railroad bed designed to handle light rail is in place. The rails were of the highest quality rail possible, exceeding today's standards, and likely could be re-used.

Reduce, reuse, recycle.
    Very Interesting. Was it only up Woodward they they pretty much pave over all of them or did they actually rip the other ones out?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post

Reduce, reuse, recycle.
    Whats the gage? New streetcars are a narrower gage than the old ones. Are they located along the curb like the millionaires want them? How much corrosion has happened to those incomplete and cut up rails? There are plenty of places where those old rails are missing due to reconstructions, utility cuts, new paver bricks.....

Whats the gage? New streetcars are a narrower gage than the old ones. Are they located along the curb like the millionaires want them? How much corrosion has happened to those incomplete and cut up rails? There are plenty of places where those old rails are missing due to reconstructions, utility cuts, new paver bricks.....
    Don't know the gage. I do recall that Detroit's streetcars had to be re-engineered to run in Mexico City. They are running down the center of the street, like every other streetcar system. [[Where'd this odd curb idea get its traction? [[pun intended)). I was them in Foxtown when they replaced the street, and they appeared to be in fine condition 20 years ago. Woodward's well maintained, and there's likely little moisture -- unlike Michigan Avenue where they're poking up all over the place.

There would be no way to build this without federal involvement. Woodward is M-1, a national scenic byway. Every project done to reconstruct it has used federal money. Reconstruction was to be part of the project as you can't build a railroad without shoring up its base first.
    So what you're trying to tell us is that
    a) Ray LaHood and a bunch of elected "seagulls" would have shown up here to announce the federal funding for the road reconstruction portion even if the project just involved the originally proposed 3.4 miles to be built with private funds
    b) the red tape associated with that federal road reconstruction funding would have been enough to cause the M-1 group to miss their ground breaking target by more than a year anyway.

Somehow, I don't think so. Expanding the system out to Eight Mile Rd. by using additional federal dollars was the kiss of death for light rail happening on Woodward Avenue anytime soon. Here's hoping that M-1 can keep thier consortium together long enough for a regional transit authority to be formed with a revenue source that is sufficient to fund the operation of both the BRT system and a 3.4 mile light rail system.