Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    I like when people shout out for a recall but don't recommend who would take over the position and do a better job.

Alright, lets recall Bing. Then what? Who takes his place? Who is more qualified for the job?

I'm no Bing fan, but it's not ALL his fault. The entire city government as a whole doesn't function. One single man can't fix everything. Nothing is going to change or get done unless everyone is on the same page. The clowns on city council are just as much to blame. Maybe the citizens of this city should stop voting for idiots.
    I am very disappointed in Dave Bing as my mayor. I think that he is a good guy, and his heart is in the right place, but he is not the strong, decisive leader that we need right now. Basically, he is the Detroit version of Granholm.

He hasn't turned out to be the strong reform leader that everybody hoped he would be, but that doesn't mean that he should be recalled. Recalls should be saved for corrupt, unethical, or completely incompetent elected officials.

As a side note, I take offense to people calling our current city council members "clowns", and asserting that we "should stop voting for idiots".

I will grant that the last city council had a few clowns that were elected based on name recognition [[Monica Conyers and Martha Reeves, for example), but they were swept out of office by a Detroit electorate that was very disappointed by their petty antics.

I don't agree with every opinion held by every member of our current city council, but I certainly don't think that they are idiots, nor have they done anything that could even be considered idiotic, unprofessional, or out of line. In many cases, the current city council has pushed for more extreme reforms to the city budget and governance than the mayor has.

I am tired of people asserting that our elected officials are "clowns", and that Detroiters should stop voting for "idiots".

If you are going to make this broad indictment of our current city government, please give some specific examples to back up your claim.

^^ Agreed. This council is far from perfect, but they are far better than the previous one. I'm disappointed by many decisions they've made [[not making further cuts to their budget for one). But there will always be grandstanding on elected bodies like this, and posturing by those that want to move up the ladder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2