Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    ...Had a thought, why not relocate the GCP people mover station to over Woodward between the Broderick Tower and Aloft David Whitney? Both will have accessibility from street level and inside of building. Expand the station and modernize it, or should it just need to be left alone?
    That actually sounds like a great idea, it could be a shared station for both the M1 rail and the People Mover. It would make sense to actually connect the two.

Chicago has a few stations downtown where you can very easily get from the EL to the subway stations for easy transfer.

I also left out that for esthetic and simplicity, the new station can be all glass construction so it doesn't block out sun light and doesn't block view down woodward.

Quote Originally Posted by astongraham View Post
    I also left out that for esthetic and simplicity, the new station can be all glass construction so it doesn't block out sun light and doesn't block view down woodward.
    My thought exactly, that will make a difference. Experiences and functionality will make that station the hub of downtown. M-1 rail should be involved with the GCP station redesigned option.
    Last edited by gthomas; March-14-14 at 09:45 PM.

Well since the curbside plan for M1 is to promote the businesses along the route... how do you know that the plan will be for the main connector will be an external entrance to the GCP PM stop? Perhaps the plan is to use the David Whitney Building entrance as the main connector between the 2 systems? It would help the retail businesses planned for the David Whitney Arcade.

Here is a potential diagram of the GCP stop with the stop actually just south of the Himmelhoch's Building...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M-...dering_6x4.jpg

How is work progressing? Seems like their opening date is fast approaching.

6. Default

UPDATE Dec. 15: Exterior night lighting to the Whitney is switched on as opening nears.

Jump to latest discussion ->>

Work has been continual but today's power wash is the first noticeable visible change. Our alabaster city is beginning to gleam.

I cannot wait for them to finish this.

Beautiful! I've been looking forward to the power wash and new windows. That place is going to be fantastic.

Amazing how much dirt builds up on these buildings over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Work has been continual but today's power wash is the first noticeable visible change. Our alabaster city is beginning to gleam.

OK Lowell... did you pick up the wrong image? That image is the same one from the original poster's first post on this thread... from 3 years ago...

Never mind.... BuildingsOfDetroit changed his original 2011 post with the current 2014 updated image [[just to confuse us!)... my bad!

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Never mind.... BuildingsOfDetroit changed his original 2011 post with the current 2014 updated image [[just to confuse us!)... my bad!
    When these long-running thread revive, we put the image in the first post and at the end. That way a newcomer who is unaware of the thread gets the latest along with the original.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Amazing how much dirt builds up on these buildings over time.
    No doubt.

I remember the Ford Rouge plant in Dearborn. Fifty years ago cars would get pitted from the pollution from the steel mills. Rust on cars was a big problem.

If the problems are only 'dirt' on these very, very old buildings, pretty lucky.

It's funny how you forget what a building is supposed to look like after you are so used to seeing it a certain way for so so long. Nice to see this thing cleaned up.

If only someone would power-wash the Book Tower now.....

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post

If only someone would power-wash the Book Tower now.....
    ...and the south side of the Broderick.

Opening on track for winter 2015:

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...l#incart_river

Quote Originally Posted by bassab View Post

oh god for some reason when i think 'winter' i think of like november/december... but it's early 2015 as in jan/feb..

i hate how it keeps getting pushed back but a project of this magnitude, especially with it being historical def takes time.. i don't care how long it takes as long as they do it right.. also i'm really shocked they may not be open for the 2015 NAIAS... I would think they were DEF trying to have the hotel portion at least open by then.. would obviously be a nice boost

Most businesses and developments don't open in the time set by them. Their first floor retail usually open a year or so after the hotel, condo, or office buildigs had opened. La Cave still hasn't opened in the David Scott building
    Most

yeah What's up with that ? the La Cave had that sign up forever ? they should just take it down and get someone else in there

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Most businesses and developments don't open in the time set by them. Their first floor retail usually open a year or so after the hotel, condo, or office buildigs had opened. La Cave still hasn't opened in the David Scott building
    Most
    Not to mention they still have yet to illumiante the building like promised.

Quote Originally Posted by restoretheroar View Post
    Not to mention they still have yet to illumiante the building like promised.
    Talking about The Broderick? I've posted this before, but I've been pretty disappointed with the rehab. Of course the new residents is a great thing...but some issues I have are below...

a) Not lit up at night
    b) South side of building was never power washed
    c) The fake wall they put up between Broderick and I believe the nightclub. Perfect spot for retail. Of course they could develop that at some point.
    d) Restaurants just have never opened. Big wasted opportunity thus far to create foot traffic.
    e) I was inside once...it's nice, but felt a touch...tacky.

Looks like the developers are expecting the apartments to be completed sooner than expected. It's great to see the apartments and pricing on the site now.

http://davidwhitneybuilding.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tuere View Post
    Looks like the developers are expecting the apartments to be completed sooner than expected. It's great to see the apartments and pricing on the site now.

Quite pricey, by Detroit standards. Developers, take note!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Quite pricey, by Detroit standards. Developers, take note!
    Good for them if they can get that much.

A little frustrating for me right now. Looking for a studio or one-bedroom in Midtown or Downtown in the spring hoping to pay $700-750. I understand downtown is too expensive for me [[David Whitney is certainly higher-end than I deserve), but it just seems really tough to find a decent place these days. I may wind up staying out in Royal Oak or moving to Ferndale if I can't find a spot.

I'll be 28 and one of my issues with Midtown as well is a lot of the residences are more geared towards undergrads which I'd prefer to avoid. Would love a studio apartment in Midtown that is geared more towards working professionals.

Blah...rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuere View Post

Thanks for the link Tuere.... I looked at those apartment floors.... I bet those inside apartments facing the lightwell are going to be a tough sell.... no views whatsoever....

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast