Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

She was the "worst person" on countdown last night!

My take on this...

It's not what she said, it's how she said it [[classless). She has a right to her opinion about homosexual and how the fine progressive citizens of New York made it legal for them to join in holy matrimony. She doesn't have to take anything back or change her mind about the issues, although she did apologize for HOW she said it.

That said, it still makes her a loon, but she does represent the citizens of Troy. Now I can only assume since majority of the citizens in Troy voted her into office that Troy is a city made up majorly of loons. No skin off my back, but I'll will certainly keep this in mind of course when deciding where to spend my retail dollars in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by ismoakrack View Post
    Let's see, she's overweight, dressed like she came out of 1982, and surprise surprise...she's a conservative Christian who thinks it's okay to make a ludicrous statement like that, shortly before running for mayor! Then gets defensive about it!!!

This is exactly the type of small town crap that makes intelligent Michigan people flee for greener grasses.
    So very true.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    That said, it still makes her a loon, but she does represent the citizens of Troy. Now I can only assume since majority of the citizens in Troy voted her into office that Troy is a city made up majorly of loons. No skin off my back, but I'll will certainly keep this in mind of course when deciding where to spend my retail dollars in the future.
    I am a citizen of Troy and while I'm not going to rally for her resignation or attempt to recall her, I will definitely campaign for her opponent in the next election. [[Which sadly won't be until 2015.)

I daresay that it is not the intelligent who 'flee'...that would be the emotionally reactionary response. Still valid, but not the intelligent action...unless one is directly challenged and chased away.

The strength of those who showed up to protest...THEY are the intelligent ones. Heroic, even.

I haven't watched the video yet...I've heard it is over five hours long...but from a few of the transcripts I've read there was some powerful admonishment delivered.

The one I just finished reading from a woman who used to be a Troy resident...who received awards and kudos until the instant she decided to come out of the closet [[when she was run out of town by ignorance and phobia)...is one of the most poignant statements I've ever read. If that didn't make a dent in this callous mayor's psyche, there is no hope for her.

Sincerely,
    John

My take on it is that It is requested by some that she also change her opinion re. same sex marriage along with apologizing for her comment, per what I've read on the story. That's not going to work, and she'd not be taken serious from any perspective to do an about face like that.

Some people [[liberal and conservative believe it not) have a live and let live attitude [[tolerate) re. homosexuality yet don't support same sex marriage.
    My take on this...

It's not what she said, it's how she said it [[classless). She has a right to her opinion about homosexual and how the fine progressive citizens of New York made it legal for them to join in holy matrimony. She doesn't have to take anything back or change her mind about the issues, although she did apologize for HOW she said it.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-06-11 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    My take on it is that It is requested by some that she also change her opinion re. same sex marriage along with apologizing for her comment, per what I've read on the story. That's not going to work, and she'd not be taken serious from any perspective to do an about face like that.

Some people [[liberal and conservative believe it not) have a live and let live attitude [[tolerate) re. homosexuality yet don't support same sex marriage.
    Then you don't have a "live and let live" attitude. " Live and let live" would be to support equal access to full citizenship while not caring who availed themselves of marriage. Basically, if you don't want a "gay" marriage, don't get one. "Live and let live " is not an excuse to deny basic equality to a minority group.

lets try this old timey one on for size.... some people [[liberal and conservative) have a live and let live attitude [[tolerate) re: black people, yet don't support laws to end segregation.
    Last edited by bailey; December-06-11 at 11:09 AM.

My take on this...

Very well said!

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    lets try this old timey one on for size.... some people [[liberal and conservative) have a live and let live attitude [[tolerate) re: black people, yet don't support laws to end segregation.
    Not really that old-timey. Actually, that's pretty much Rand Paul's stance on the issue.

Yep, that perspective was true [[and remains so in the the hidden and not so hidden thoughts of some today) and since race and sexuality are equated the same, gay marriage will be legal in the US - all states, eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    ....lets try this old timey one on for size.... some people [[liberal and conservative) have a live and let live attitude [[tolerate) re: black people, yet don't support laws to end segregation.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-06-11 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    This new Mayor McCheeze is one klassy broad, she is. See, you're not the only one that can throw around slurs and perjoratives, mayor.
    I get that you were being sarcastic, and I can't believe I'm the first one to say this after 1.5 pages of comments, but throwing around sexist pejoratives is not a good way to criticize someone for throwing around homophobic pejoratives.

According to today's paper, the mayor of Troy is pulling down $135.00 a month. One could say, you get what you pay for, or you could say she is overpaid, or you could say the largest city in Michigan to have a volunteer fire department has a long-standing love affair with being a tad cheap.

In any regard, Ms. Bighair is not long for her office. A foot that big has a tendency to repeatedly find itself in one's mouth. We can look forward to more great comments on any number of issues.

I find it refreshing to learn that not every stupid politico is named JoAnn Watson.

Thank you. I was waiting for that observation to emerge.
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I get that you were being sarcastic, and I can't believe I'm the first one to say this after 1.5 pages of comments, but throwing around sexist pejoratives is not a good way to criticize someone for throwing around homophobic pejoratives.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-06-11 at 08:03 PM.

Slur or not, the Mayor of Troy is protected under the First amendment of Bill of Rights. She had the right to say being gay is wrong. Just like white person calling a N-word to a black person. It's offensive to me and could hurt my heart, but I rather turn the other check and rebuke and pray for the prosecutor.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Slur or not, the Mayor of Troy is protected under the First amendment of Bill of Rights.
    What's your point? The constitution limits the governments powers and no one suggested she be arrested or fined for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Slur or not, the Mayor of Troy is protected under the First amendment of Bill of Rights. She had the right to say being gay is wrong. Just like white person calling a N-word to a black person. It's offensive to me and could hurt my heart, but I rather turn the other check and rebuke and pray for the prosecutor.
    Yup, and expressing our outrage over her comments is also a first amendment right. Hopefully the Troy voters will be also exercising their right to never vote this hate monger into office again.
    Last edited by Scottathew; December-06-11 at 04:17 PM.

I feel sorry for the Mayor. She must be a bit queer to say these things about New York and give that thin skinned "in your face" confrontational crowd [[all 10 of 'em) the opportunity to criticize her for her natural inclination based on the way she was born. I would have thought they would have been as understanding of her being different as they are for themselves.
    Last edited by coracle; December-06-11 at 05:22 PM.

Yikes! Now you've really opened a can.... LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    I feel sorry for the Mayor. She must be a bit queer to say these things about New York and give that thin skinned "in your face" confrontational crowd [[all 10 of 'em) the opportunity to criticize her for her natural inclination based on the way she was born. I would have thought they would have been as understanding of her being different as they are for themselves.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    According to today's paper, the mayor of Troy is pulling down $135.00 a month. One could say, you get what you pay for, or you could say she is overpaid, or you could say the largest city in Michigan to have a volunteer fire department has a long-standing love affair with being a tad cheap.

In any regard, Ms. Bighair is not long for her office. A foot that big has a tendency to repeatedly find itself in one's mouth. We can look forward to more great comments on any number of issues.

I find it refreshing to learn that not every stupid politico is named JoAnn Watson.

What a great post.

[[not being sarcastic)

Default Sorry, wrong about Troy

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    not an overwhelming amount of intelligence in Troy - they even voted to de-fund their public library [[fortunately some interested people got out and managed to reverse that decision)
    Wrong, latest Demographics on Troy are:
    For population 25 years and over in Troy:

• High school or higher: 92.2%
    • Bachelor's degree or higher: 50.0%
    • Graduate or professional degree: 21.8%

Not sure there are too many 80k+ areas that have that kind of higher ed level across it's population.

You dont live in Troy, and dont seem to know anything about it. The library funding was not about not valuing the library, it was about hijinx in funding it. No one ever expected it to close [[and it didnt), voters just wanted city bureaucrats to stop wasting money.

Not big on the sodomy thing? Big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Signman View Post
    Not big on the sodomy thing? Big deal.
    Maybe...maybe not, personally, i think she just doesn't like getting santorum on her sheets.

Occurrence Guest

The mayor of Troy is fat and ugly, and nobody cares that she thinks marriage should be between a man and a woman. If she's against gay marriage, then she shouldn't marry another woman. Nobody is forcing her to be a lesbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    and the left only believes in freedom when it comes to homosexuality and abortion....... other than that people are wards of the state.....
    And the right only believes in freedom when it comes to white protestant males, so what's your point, Dexter?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast