Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit area table tennis

Any places to play table tennis around town? I'm not looking for anything highly competitive. Looks like there might be a club in Rochester Hills, but that's a little farther than I'd like to go ideally [[I live in Ferndale and work in Warren).

Thanks in advance. And if this thread should be banished to Connections, let me know.

Usually the churchs and community organizations have them. Probably also good to check local tennis clubs and similar others around.

Maybe once there are some entries we could start the Michigan table tennis map, kind of like the pinball map.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...ed5f0b1447eab1

The International School [[Middlebelt just north of 12 Mile) has a program on table tennis. Call them.

WSU has tables in the basement of the Student Center

PJ's Lager House has a ping pong table

http://www.pjslagerhouse.com/

Warren Community Center
    5460 Arden [[S.W. of Mound & 14 Mound Rd
    586-268-8400
    I played there about 3 years ago.
    They had 5 professional tables
    Doubles were played as well as singles.
    You did not have to belong to the center to play.
    Call to find out days and times

The best table tennis club in the Midwest is in Farmington.

http://www.fhttc.com/

There is actually a club that meets in Ferndale on Wednesdays from 6-10. There are some rated players around 1500 to 1800 that attend. My rating is about 1800 and I like to go once a month. PM me if your interested in the dates for Ferndale or Farmington. I also help run the Rochester Club and I'm about to move to Detroit and would like to play an advanced player/players while I live down there.

Default Try Drive Table Tennis Social Club in Downtown Detroit

Up to 8 olympic quality tables, lots of room, in a nice setting. They also have a food and beverage bar. They hold weekly tournaments there and pick up pong throughout the week. Pretty good competition. Open monday-saturday 11am-9pm
    313-962-1830

www.drive-detroit.com
    1441 Woodward
    Detroit, MI 48226
    [[Downtown Detroit)

Quote Originally Posted by cloud_wall View Post
    Any places to play table tennis around town? I'm not looking for anything highly competitive. Looks like there might be a club in Rochester Hills, but that's a little farther than I'd like to go ideally [[I live in Ferndale and work in Warren).

Thanks in advance. And if this thread should be banished to Connections, let me know.

Anyone remember "Ping Pong Diplomacy"? Memory says one person on the U.S. ping pong team that went to China in 1971 worked for Chrysler.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    Anyone remember "Ping Pong Diplomacy"? Memory says one person on the U.S. ping pong team that went to China in 1971 worked for Chrysler.
    Dell and Connie Sweeris of Grand Rapids were part of the US contingent that traveled to China for Ping Pong Diplomacy. Not sure if either of them worked for Chrysler. We still play ping pong at the Lager House on Monday nights. Fresh booze and good times are had.

Hi, you can look at the list of the sport venue at the sport social network. Maybe you will find there, what you look for.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    The leader of the U.S. delegation was U.S. Table Tennis Association president Graham Steenhoven, who was a Chrysler executive. Also in the U.S. group was George Buber, a metalworker from Detroit, and his wife Madeline.

Ready for some ping pong? I’m opening Pong Detroit in our temporary, part time location at Berts Warehouse in Eastern Market. We will be open Tuesdays Wednesdays and Thursdays from 5-11 pm for open play starting January 21st. Food, Drinks, Music and Pong!

I started a inner city youth table tennis training program at Clark Park last year to get kids off their devices and getting some exercise. With the larger space we will expand this program and also start a wheelchair and Senior program.

We are on all social media and the site is pongdetroit.com
    Please spread the word and hope to see some forumers there.