Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

It was the tone of the Chrysler commercial that seemed to resinate with those who really enjoyed it.

The city looked so beautiful, steam billowing from the street and lights twinkling all around. The people looking so real and dapper. Powerful voices to channel the emotion.

No sun to improve the picture. No swedish models to sell the car. Our city was portrayed to be what people like me see everyday.

13million+ youtube viewers can't be wrong.

God, I love Detroit.

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    It was the tone of the Chrysler commercial that seemed to resinate with those who really enjoyed it.

The city looked so beautiful, steam billowing from the street and lights twinkling all around. The people looking so real and dapper. Powerful voices to channel the emotion.

No sun to improve the picture. No swedish models to sell the car. Our city was portrayed to be what people like me see everyday.

13million+ youtube viewers can't be wrong.

God, I love Detroit.
    See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. It's a commercial, not a piece of art. You're not going to have screenings for this at the DIA in 10 years.

The ad agency who made the commercial is based out of Portland, Oregon, and the guy who did the narration has lived in Grand Rapids for all 30 of the years he has lived in Michigan. I guess I'll have to excuse myself if I don't really buy into the "emotion" expressed in the ad. All I see is clever advertising and video editing designed to sell people a product.

If 13 million+ youtube viewers can't be wrong, than Justin Bieber must be the next Mozart.

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. It's a commercial, not a piece of art. You're not going to have screenings for this at the DIA in 10 years.
    That's a matter of opinion, which you're entitled to, but not a matter of fact. If I think it's beautiful, so what. Why do you even care? Nobody suggested it was a piece of art or that it deserved a place at an art museum.

The ad agency who made the commercial is based out of Portland, Oregon, and the guy who did the narration has lived in Grand Rapids for all 30 of the years he has lived in Michigan.
    What does this have to do with anything?

If 13 million+ youtube viewers can't be wrong, than Justin Bieber must be the next Mozart.
    But we're not talking about Justin Effin Bieber. We're talkin about that badass Chrysler commercial that people ALL OVER THA WORLD were talking about.

You are the one comparing it to someone's idea of art, not me or anyone else who posted. The commercial just makes me happy when I see it. What the hell is wrong with that!?!
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; November-11-11 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    I don't have a boat but the Chrysler 300 floats mine as well as the guy who designed it....yummy...

Attachment 11176
    Yum, indeed. Is he an option you can get with the car?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Yum, indeed. Is he an option you can get with the car?
    If he was I wouldn't be driving a Focus...

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    If he was I wouldn't be driving a Focus...
    Can you imagine Chrysler's market share if he came standard?

The whole Super Bowl ad thing was hilarious.

You know things are bad here when people get pumped up and inspirational over a fricken television COMMERCIAL.

I remember someone on this board said they got up and gave a round of applause at a Super Bowl party or something when that commercial came on. Others said they got goosebumps. These people need professional help.
    What did you do... start posting here because you got tired of posting your "logic" on the Free Press Message Board?
    Last edited by Gistok; November-11-11 at 09:16 PM.

Only for people that don't know the difference between 13 year olds who listen to the same insipid noise on their ITUNES, and educated adults that can see that there are 2 sides to every story....

lilpup Guest

You just might, you never know. It did, after all, win FIVE, count 'em, FIVE top awards at the Cannes creativity festival.

http://www.autotrader.com/research/a...-up-awards.jsp

The ad agency who made the commercial is based out of Portland, Oregon, and the guy who did the narration has lived in Grand Rapids for all 30 of the years he has lived in Michigan. I guess I'll have to excuse myself if I don't really buy into the "emotion" expressed in the ad. All I see is clever advertising and video editing designed to sell people a product.
    Yeah, the director broke in with the video for "Smells Like Teen Spirit", perhaps it might be more D if Campbell Ewald was the agency?

Occurrence Guest

There are plenty of creative and talented people in Detroit that are passionate about the city. Why couldn't Chrysler hire these locals to do the commercial instead of some folks in Portland? Seems like they don't have very much confidence in this city,

Hell, I'm sure people here would have done the commercial for free, and they could have donated all that money they payed Portland to charitable causes in the city. Maybe feed some children or something, or buy some students school supplies.

No need think outside the box I guess.

lilpup Guest

going to a non-local company was outside of the box

not a lot of great ads coming out for Chrysler prior to that one

http://www.teamdetroit.com/

Well...Ford uses local talent...not seeing a whole lot of Detroit pride.
    Last edited by animatedmartian; November-12-11 at 06:51 AM.

On the topic of outside talent, local talent can sometimes suffer from a myopia that outsider don't have to deal with when viewing from afar. What locals think is cool might be to them, but not the outside. I am sure the inventors of Lederhosen in Bavaria made a huge hit locally even though they generally appear laughable to the outside world.

Even during the darkest years of Detroit's decline, when we had driven off the cliff and were in free fall, I recall with amusement how many of my European friends had a much different, sometimes reverential, view of Detroit. They saw the greatest beyond the turmoil of the moment. What was considered bad and shunned here was attractive and fascinating to them.

That seems to have been the case here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    On the topic of outside talent, local talent can sometimes suffer from a myopia that outsider don't have to deal with when viewing from afar. What locals think is cool might be to them, but not the outside. I am sure the inventors of Lederhosen in Bavaria made a huge hit locally even though they generally appear laughable to the outside world.

Even during the darkest years of Detroit's decline, when we had driven off the cliff and were in free fall, I recall with amusement how many of my European friends had a much different, sometimes reverential, view of Detroit. They saw the greatest beyond the turmoil of the moment. What was considered bad and shunned here was attractive and fascinating to them.

That seems to have been the case here.
    Well said Lowell. There is also the fact that Wieden/Kennedy were not worried about ruffling any feathers, and managed to sell this concept about a resilient Detroit to Chrysler.

Commercials are a funny beast. You can love some, hate others and respond viscerally or not depending on the way you are shaped to deal with them. We are not in the "Father Knows Best World" that brought forth GM's Futurama in the late fifties. Advertizing today incorporates some of the cynicism of the world at large. The innocence of Looney Tunes has been evacuated, and kids now are bound to understand the world in terms of "Family Guy" and "The Simpsons" variety of humor. So while the message of Chrysler equating itself or its product with a maligned Detroit will sound overblown or downright twisted to some, it does the "trick" as far as emotion goes.

Why does it work? Well for one thing, folks are primed in the "what else can go wrong category". In the US; the post Nixon, Viet Nam era that brought about more cynicism, and more pushing of the avant-garde in art and in society, managed to reduce our understanding of meaning vs experience to the level of media interference. The "Medium is the Message" was all about that.
    The biggest successes, indeed the most powerful companies are the ones dealing in media, whether Google or Apple or Microsoft, they are all about the medium.

So in a sense, the idea of a Detroit that used to vaunt an all-powerful industrial face to the world has been upended in order to present a maligned, downbeat image of a city in search of solutions. Chrysler also benefits from the fact that american automotive industry is thrown into the mix, not just Chrysler. In fact, folks everywhere can relate to industrial demise, not just Detroiters, which makes it all the more potent.

I am ambivalent about advertizing, I dont like the lies, but I enjoy the cleverness when it is well done. I also have fewer reservations about it than I used to, because I have witnessed more and more platitudes piled on top of unmemorable stuff in the heady world of Fine Arts. I am not often blown away by the music I hear or the Visual Arts I see, and it is the same with advertizing and film in general. But what I like about the Chrysler ad, is that it resumes the condition of Detroit in fewer banalities, and more truth than most. This is where it gets me on an emotional level.

On outside talent; frankly it is a non-issue. Think about it in terms of the immigrants who made Detroit. The folks in LA sure as hell dont ask Diana Ross for a proof of citizenship to SoCal...

The story of my life. References to my city or anything involving it in a positive sense usually earned me the sympathetic nod and pat on the back.

Now, [[one at a time) I'm getting the last laugh, hehehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    With Seger on tour, why oh why didn't they ask him ? It would seem Bob could put on a pretty good halftime set, and what better place ?
    Younger people [[18-30) don't really care for Bob. Jay-Z, LMFAO, Rihanna, Nicki Minaj would be better picks. I would even try to get tickets to the games if they had these type of acts showing up every home game to do half-time.

Suburban people from Michigan seem to be the most negative on the city of Detroit than those who don't even live in the state. They're the only people I hear who make comments like "Nuke the city" or "build a wall around it"
    Last edited by ThisIsForTheHeart; November-12-11 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Back on topic

Actually Lowell... what non-Bavarian Germans [[the other 90% of the populace) laugh at is that schmaltzy Americans fly all the way over there to pay good money to view what the rest of Germany sees as is kitsch.... [[along with Cookoo Clocks and Yodeling).But then again... if dog chew toys had been invented before Lederhosen.. the world would be a different place!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Actually Lowell... what non-Bavarian Germans [[the other 90% of the populace) laugh at is that schmaltzy Americans fly all the way over there to pay good money to view what the rest of Germany sees as is kitsch.... [[along with Cookoo Clocks and Yodeling).But then again... if dog chew toys had been invented before Lederhosen.. the world would be a different place!

Actually, in Canada, Lederhosen are frequently used as dog chew toys.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    On outside talent; frankly it is a non-issue. Think about it in terms of the immigrants who made Detroit. The folks in LA sure as hell dont ask Diana Ross for a proof of citizenship to SoCal...
    No, but Tucson Police will ask her to blow into a straw when she's outside a closed Blockbuster Video @ 3 AM. If it makes anyone feel better commercial filming in L.A. fell off[[score Canada...) after 2000 as "revenge" by management for the SAG Commercial strike...Wieden/Kennedy do good work. Next thing you know you guys will vent about Walter P. sticking his Chrysler Building in NYC...

Loved the original Super Bowl ad and am a total homer but make no mistake about it. This is a marketing campaign to pull money out of the suckers who believe it. When the big three really come back home is when people should believe and support it. Unfortunately in today's world that's not gonna happen. So do as you please! I'll still be a Mopar guy at heart until they totally dissolve into Fiat.

Interesting views. So much has changed since the days when driving an import in Hamtramck was a no-no. I am not even American but I had tears in my eyes after seeing the Super Bowl ad. If people think it is only an ad, fine. But there are people who live this thing every day. I don't like the modern cars too much although if new Challengers and Rams would be available in Europe without huge protectionist taxes I would have one of each. I had the opportunity to get a full tour of the Warren Truck plant and it was a delight to see the dedication to their product. Either you love Chryslers or you don't.The commercial didn't make me teary eyed because it is some empty words that talk me into something, it is because it is my reality and the ad agency captured it 100%. But if it makes more people to wake up and buy American, great. That's what an ad is supposed to do.

It is interesting to hear about the whining regarding the company ownership...I hate Fiats, they are a piece of crap...but at least Chrysler has survived after Daimler pumped it dry. After the difficult years with the Germans there are still quite a bit of car guys at Chrysler and it shows. One can only wonder how much better off The Big Three would be without the idiotic government regulations and one sided treating of the import competition. US should put similar taxes on imports than the countries who send the government subsidized cars your way. And the "bailout"...people seem to forget that Chrysler has already paid it back..and Ford is the good guy? Doesn't it feel pretty obvious that the Ford guys got some inside info about what would happen and thus they re-organized their loans just in time?

This has been much of our struggle all along, lead by a self-flagellating local media who seemingly determined that they best way to make to most money was to target the more affluent and populous outide-the-city-of-Detroit audience with the message, "Ain't it awful in Detroit; aren't you glad you live where you do?"

Fortunately that has largely reversed in recent years and the local media is sometimes falling over itself to focus positive things about Detroit and espouse a more metropolitan vision. "Cutting off the nose to spite the face" turned out to be bad for all, the metro, our auto industry products, our self worth and our overall image.

The main question now is- how long can we ride the fake tide of positive spin? Both media mindsets are reactionary stances to deep seated social problems, many of which are rooted in the affluent areas...

Default I left Detroit in 1973

The Chrysler ad had a positive impact on me. I follow this forum with the hope that, through it, I will be able to sense the moment signalling the shift from the downward spiral to the leveling-off point. Obviously, there will be no clear line of cleavage between the trends, but I feel that this ad is one of the things that demonstrates the willingness of one element of the Detroit auto industry to acknowledge the loss of credibility they have experienced as well as their intention to stand by the area while attempting to remedy the malady.

I have lived in San Francisco for over 35 years now and lately have begun to hear positive buzz regarding the viability of Detroit as an acceptable location for living, IT, and edge.

Those who are not emotionally affected by Madison Ave are, of course, entitled to their perspective. I feel, personally, that emotional engagement is one of the engines that drive the joy of living.

I am blessed with a retirement that provides me discretionary income as well as available capital for investment. I am a small potatoes investor, but I believe it is people like me that fill a valuable space between the mega-developers and those struggling to save their homes.

I made an investment focused trip to Detroit and other parts of MI exactly two years ago. It is my * opinion * that the mood, energy level, and general perception of Detroit has undergone a positive change in that brief time.

Whatever happens, I feel the worst has passed. And if this area could weather this experience of recent decades, I feel confident that the future will bring a unique and totally unforseeable resolution.

Love and best wishes to all who participate in this forum.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast