Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default City council...a miracle maker?

It struck me as amusing that city council gathered together as one and announced they would get it together and find solutions to the city's lack of dough.
    How are they going to get the city unions to cough up more concessions?
    I'm all for believing in miracles so I'm all eyes and ears waiting for the good times.

They just dont want to be usurped by a financial manager like the DPS board. Too bad they lack all of the talents and capacities that Charles Pugh says they have [[if they had them, we wouldnt be in this mess).

I can't wait [[I probably won't live to see the day) until Detroit finally, I mean FINALLY, hits rock bottom. Just when you think the city can't go any lower, it drops 2 or 3 levels. It will be a cause for celebration that day, because then Detroit can finally for the first time in its history start moving forward again.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    I can't wait [[I probably won't live to see the day) until Detroit finally, I mean FINALLY, hits rock bottom. Just when you think the city can't go any lower, it drops 2 or 3 levels. It will be a cause for celebration that day, because then Detroit can finally for the first time in its history start moving forward again.
    Sorry for a quote. I apologize. Give me a "Office BYE"

Nothing more than a plea to save their jobs.

I can't wait for the Emergency Financial Manager to step in and run the show.

They'll be a lot more wailing and gnashing of teeth then. Once the union jobs are gone, you might as well turn out the lights. Opps, they're already out in parts of the city.

I don't see why anyone would be dumping on the council. The council [[most notably Gary Brown, who is practically a Republican when it comes to fiscal issues) has been calling for more and deeper cuts for years. It's Bing who has been responsible to keeping them at bay and rearranging deck chairs. It's Bing who is the chief executive and administrative authority for the City of Detroit; he's the one that has the authority to make hiring and firing decisions [[through his management), not the city council.

One thing that hasn't been discussed, if receivership were to happen, is the possible impact on DPD. An EFM has the power to basically come in and do as they please. The problem is, approximately 900 members of DPD are eligible to retire, and if they don't like what is offered, they could walk, and DPD could be nearly cut in half...depending upon whose fudged numbers you believe regarding current manpower. Before somebody suggests Wayne County could step in, this isn't Pontiac, and WCS lacks the manpower to cover 900 vacated positions.
    Last edited by Supersport; November-06-11 at 01:34 AM.