Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    boneshaker Guest

The Detroit News is going after her "personal" life now.. As stated weeks ago.. Turkia went through an ugly divorce that she created. The News did print about the drug allegations of her ex at the time. This is just the start. Edmund Szoka is also involved with this mess as Crains Detroit reported last week.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...mullins_r.html

The exposure of Mullin risks someone shining a light on everyone else’s own, private mushroom farms of questionable arrangements with county government.

One might think this is akin to rats fleeing a sinking ship, but rats don’t build ships. This situation is as though the engineers and boosters who declared the Titanic unsinkable commandeered the lifeboats moments after that ship hit the iceberg. And then pointed a finger of blame at the ship's captain before fleeing from the disaster they created.

Turkia Mullin’s dismissal [[if that is what happens today) should be prologue to a larger inquiry into EdMcNamarastan—that is, Wayne County’s political class and the contractors with whom they do business.

After all, no one seriously believes John Rakolta, Cindy Pasky, the other EDGE Opportunities/Wayne County Business Development Corporation Directors, or EDGE's contributing businesses gave Mullin an annual bribe bonus simply out of some misguided notion of philanthropy. Right?

We get the oligarchy we deserve if we let this end today.

After attempting to deal with the above I agree with the above 100% , this is the beginning not the end.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Let's not forget that Worthy made her name in the trial of Walter Budzyn and Larry Nevers, two cops convicted of beating Malice Green. While she did go after Kilpatrick, a lot of folks are not going to be keen on a cop prosecutor. Just sayin'

It doesn't matter that she prosecuted those cops. They beat the crap out of Malice Green. Budzyn and Nevers were scumbags who got what they deserved.

The sad reality is that this kind of garbage happens all over the place. Who do you think finances most political campaigns at all levels of government? Contractors, vendors, and other business interests looking to get a cut of the public purse. When they aren't funding candidates directly, they are funneling money through the political parties, PACs and quasi-governmental organizations like Wayne County EDGE. Most people think that this happens behind closed doors. But much of it doesn't. A lot of this information was out in the open waiting for someone expose it. But no one wants to take the time to connect the dots. If they had, we would have been aware of the various webs of corruption a lot sooner.

Lawsuit and B-I-G payout time! This is going to get expensive. The airport board just made a decision....

Metro Airport CEO Turkia Mullin Fired

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...in-20111031-ms

detroitjim Guest

Morons from the board didn't even read her contract before firing her!

Now they owe her $750,000. Minimum .

Some goof responded " If I had a copy of the contract I would have read it"

Yeah how this is being "handled" she's got basic employee rights law on her side withstanding her shannigans. What a mess. Should have just let her keep the 200K, now the sky's the limit nearly!
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitjim View Post

I think what will end up happening is that the FBI, is going to dig up some real serious stuff on her and a deal will be made with her to give up the severance from her job at the airport or go to trial over the stuff uncovered.

At this point I think she is pretty much out of a job and can kiss the severance package goodbye.

In all honestly, her attitude is what took her down. She probably had an enemy at Wayne county, and when she left that person decided to make a few calls to channel 7 to open up the investigation.

All she had to do when she went on TV with Heather Cataldo at Channel 7 is to agree with everything that was said, and write a check on the spot to wayne county to repay the severance. Her justification would have been its the right thing to do, considering she is getting a bigger severance package from the airport and she voluntarly left her job.

But instead, she had to act like a little bitch and say that she was worth it several dozen times, and all it did was piss people off, which lead to a larger investigation

I think what will end up happening is that the FBI, is going to dig up some real serious stuff on her and a deal will be made with her to give up the severance from her job at the airport or go to trial over the stuff uncovered.

And THEN she moves to Dallas?!

I'm trying to keep up here, what station has the play-by-play?!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by detroitjim View Post

Yeah, the REST of us knew before the meeting...it was all over the press. I'm sure Ficano is all verklempt now, searching for his NEXT "strong leader" for the airport. Darned if he's going to have to be more careful requesting the kickbacks now.

What are the odds of the governmental agencies paid of the taxes taken from that 'returned' $200k will actually return it to the county? I'm waiting for THAT cage fight...

I agree, Claude. I don't think Turkia will sue, first of all, because she KNOWS what she did and what they will find if they keep digging. Just like Kwame, she will whoop and holler about how wronged she was and how she's a victim, but inside she knows she needs to have a seat because her reign has ended and she's likely going to prison at some point.

The airport consulted with their lawyers, and that's probably why they went behind closed doors on her, so they could talk about all of the dirt they have on her - notice the timing of that lawsuit filed yesterday? There's probably more to come and they know about it. I think they are very confident, after being legally advised, that they have a strong case against her and they can basically void her contract and not pay her another dime. These aren't City of Detroit lawyers, they know what they're doing.

Turkia would be a fool to go after them, with her suspicious background? Please, they will bury her and she'll never be able to show her face again. She'd better have a seat and STHU.

Interesting on the radio this morning, a lawyer pointed out the ethics probe surrounding her severance payout and the mysterious letter that was produced to support it - its possible she was involved in attempting to defraud the public with that letter, and that in itself is also an arrow in the Airport board's bow.

boneshaker Guest

Contract says disputes handled through arbitration. Can not get punitive damages in arbitration. Can not get a dime more than is outlined in arbitration. If Turkia sues in court for discrimination based on a protected status she then must testify under oath. With the FBI running around, she would be a fool to trade her freedom for a possible $million dollar settlement.

These aren't City of Detroit lawyers, they know what they're doing.

Hey! Careful with that broad brush. The only city attorney I've met is a brilliant and caring woman...who happened to catch a shitstorm for telling the truth about the 36th District Court!

Cheers!

The right decision was made. The girl had too much stink on her and it would have derailed the airport keeping her on as CEO. It is not like they could have put her in the back room and keep her out of sight. That said, it is time for find out how many more former Wayne County employees got this "severance package" for example Warren Evans when he left as Sheriff to become CoP for Detroit. We have known for years that he was collecting a pension from WC while he was Sheriff. Did they add more to the cookie jar?

Ravine Guest

I thought Turkia was her first name.

According to someone's research, when she was growing up, it was Turkie.

I'm sure she'll blame the 'mean boys' for how she ended up...always teasing her about her name.

Cheers!

The Metro-Airport Authority did their right thing to prevent their reputation to fire Mrs. Mullin. She has no right to take any severance pay while change jobs. She will not getting more severance pay from Metro-Airport, too. She can hire the highest lawyers in the world, but she will have to pay what she had done. And its going to cost our Wayne County taxpayers over $700,000 just to shut her mouth. Please repent your sins Mrs. Mullin and move on with your life. God will use you to better things rather than serving money!

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

For the 99 Percenters and the Spirit of Guy Fawkes, Neda, I miss you so.
    Last edited by Danny; November-01-11 at 10:22 AM.

I'm sorry, it's hard to follow exactly what's going on here.

What ethical rule did she violate again? I remember she got some huge severance package - was it illegal for her to receive it or something?

I'm not defending her or any of her bosses or anything, but I see a lot of allegations and stuff, I don't see anyone saying "She violated Michigan law xxx part yyy" while doing her job.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post

What ethical rule did she violate again? I remember she got some huge severance package - was it illegal for her to receive it or something?

I'm not defending her or any of her bosses or anything, but I see a lot of allegations and stuff, I don't see anyone saying "She violated Michigan law xxx part yyy" while doing her job.
    I'm with you on that. What exactly did this woman do? She took a severance that was offered.

HER behavior in getting the severance is not the issue. The issues should be the behind the scenes stuff about why she got the job[[s) she wasn't qualified for and why the County gave her a severance [[either by contract or by a wink and a nod) from a job she voluntarily left.

As someone said above, if this whole things ends with her getting fired....then we should [[those of us in Wayne county anyway) just quit bitching about how fucked up and corrupt the county government is.

It's very simple. Two months ago. Mrs Tukia Mullin used to work for the big boss Robert "The wife cheater" Ficano. Mrs, Mullin accepted a as CEO of Metro-Airport. Somehow from some source from Wayne County Gov't [[ possibly from Ficano) offered Mrs. Mullin a severance check. But a serverance check on only meant for people who got fired. Mrs Mullin took the check and did whatever she want with it. [[ Servence checks from most county governments are collected from taxpayers like you.). Someone whistblowed the situation and alerted the FBI. They went to Wayne County Seat and issue warrants and supoenas. So far Ficano is the main suspect, but haven't been charged, yet. Most county gov't employees haven't been charged yet, but questioned. Later the Metro-Aiport Board of Directors fired Mrs. Mullen for unjustifiable use of government funds and violation of their code of ethics. The rest is history!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Somehow from some source from Wayne County Gov't [[ possibly from Ficano) offered Mrs. Mullin a severance check. But a serverance check on only meant for people who got fired.
    Severance is a payout when an employee leaves an organization, not only when they are fired or laid off. It can be for any reason - it's up to the employer. If her employer gave her a check, and she didn't extort or blackmail anyone into giving it to her [[she may have, but I haven't heard any evidence of that) what did she do wrong?

Later the Metro-Aiport Board of Directors fired Mrs. Mullen for unjustifiable use of government funds and violation of their code of ethics. The rest is history!
    I heard that in the news today. What was the unjustifiable use of government funds bit again? The severance package she got? That's not up to her, that was up to her old boss. If she didn't get it under some kickback scheme or something [[again, she may have, but I haven't heard any evidence yet) why was she fired? What ethical code did she violate? Accepting a severance package? Is it up to employees to determine if their compensation is ethical or not?

Sorry, I still don't get it. Her employer gave her too much money - how is that her fault? Something more may be going on, but given the current evidence I don't see how it's more complicated than that.

I agree with JB's questions. In the instant situation, Ms. Mullin was transferred/promoted and accepted a severance package for leaving her old job. This severance pay was offered and accepted. If something was wrong with it, it was in the offering and shoddy methods of justification for it. So far nothing has come out to pin that part on her.

She did inflate her resume quite substantially, particularly pertaining to said prior job. Could that be the reason for firing her? Misrepresentations on applications are often grounds for immediate dismissal.

The hints and allegations regarding her past have come up because of the investigation into the severance, and cast doubts on her integrity which somehow was not in question before. So, maybe they fired her because they no longer trust her, and therefore feel she is not able to do the job for which they hired her. That flies in the face of the judicial system, since she has not been charged with anything, but it does go to the usual hiring method of checking references for reputation. If a reference raises a question, the hiring entity will usually pass on that applicant absent any overwhelmingly positive factors.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    She did inflate her resume quite substantially, particularly pertaining to said prior job. Could that be the reason for firing her? Misrepresentations on applications are often grounds for immediate dismissal.
    I hadn't heard that before, that makes sense.

The hints and allegations regarding her past have come up because of the investigation into the severance, and cast doubts on her integrity which somehow was not in question before. So, maybe they fired her because they no longer trust her, and therefore feel she is not able to do the job for which they hired her.
    I heard their reasoning, however, as far as external factors go into her suitability for continued employment, that stuff has to be in a contract if it doesn't directly involve her job. I haven't heard exactly what clause of her contract she violated. In fact, I don't think the board said exactly why they fired her, beyond vague ethical issues. It could be her resume, but then why aren't they saying that?

Severance is a payout when an employee leaves an organization, not only when they are fired or laid off. It can be for any reason - it's up to the employer. If her employer gave her a check, and she didn't extort or blackmail anyone into giving it to her [[she may have, but I haven't heard any evidence of that) what did she do wrong?

I heard that in the news today. What was the unjustifiable use of government funds bit again? The severance package she got? That's not up to her, that was up to her old boss. If she didn't get it under some kickback scheme or something [[again, she may have, but I haven't heard any evidence yet) why was she fired? What ethical code did she violate? Accepting a severance package? Is it up to employees to determine if their compensation is ethical or not?

Sorry, I still don't get it. Her employer gave her too much money - how is that her fault? Something more may be going on, but given the current evidence I don't see how it's more complicated than that.

In the U.S. the government's word serverance is a form of payment which a person get fired, not for other things. Let's put it into a clear understanding:

Sometimes, they may be offered for people who resign, regardless of the circumstances; or are fired Policies for severance packages are often found in a company's employee handbook, and in many countries are subject to strict government regulation. Severance contracts often stipulate that the employee will not sue the employer for wrongful dismissal or attempt to collect on unemployment benefits, and that if the employee does so, then they must return the severance money. Severance agreements are more than just a "thank you" payment from an employer. They could prevent an employee from working for a competitor and waive any right to possibly pursue a legal claim against the former employer. Also, an employee may be giving up the right to seek unemployment compensation. It is important to review a severance agreement carefully and contact an employment attorney to assist with the review. That is the U.S. Government term of the word severance pay not a corporate severance or other serverances.

Her employer offered Mrs. Mullen the check. She took it and didn't give it back. That's her decision. Mrs. Mullen was working for CEO of Detroit Metro-Airport that is competitor to other local airports in State of Michigan. That's a violation is U.S. Government severance payment policy! Now's she is paying the price and her reputation is ruined by moral decisions from the Board of Directors of Metro-Airport. What the FBI is looking for the link between some person in county gov't and the severance pay towards Mrs Mullin. How is the payment [[ from Wayne County taxpayers) was abused and what serious federal criminal charges when the perp is found. Mrs. Mullin would also be arrested for class one felony of larceny and extortion of U.S. government funds.
    Last edited by Danny; November-01-11 at 11:23 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast