Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Yes she has.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Yes she has.
    Says who? I heard she was gathering it up, hadn't quite got all of it as of 10-27-11

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Says who? I heard she was gathering it up, hadn't quite got all of it as of 10-27-11
    Says Ficano:

http://detnews.com/article/20111027/...verance-payout

I don't know too much about Kim Worthy, but someone not politcally connected to all the entrenched people is imperative to clean up the government.

I wouldn't be too concerned about her [[or anyone's) bureaucratic experience. If she's smart and decisive she could handle it. I'll have to read up on her; maybe she can be the one to fix things. It just seems like there is such a web of friends and relatives getting plum gigs, regardless of competence. And that is to say nothing of thinking of being an honest public servant, trying to get maximum services at a minimal cost to taxpayers. Whoever is the next county exec needs to be ready to kick ass and remember that they aren't there to either make friends or make money. Here's to hoping...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I don't know too much about Kim Worthy
    Rumor had it last election that she was considering a run at County Executive. Maybe she'll give it try next time around.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Rumor had it last election that she was considering a run at County Executive. Maybe she'll give it try next time around.
    Kym Worthy has garnered a lot of respect not only in Wayne County, but all of Michigan [[not that it matters). She stood up to the Kilpatrick machine, and never wavered.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Kym Worthy has garnered a lot of respect not only in Wayne County, but all of Michigan [[not that it matters). She stood up to the Kilpatrick machine, and never wavered.
    Gman I mostly agree with you. While respect from the rest of Michigan won't matter much for her election, it will do wonders when it comes to initiatives like regional transit and support for Detroit-based cultural institutions. When people in Oakland and Macomb Counties- to say nothing of further out in Michigan- look at Kwame and Ficano they have to ask themselves, "why the F*** would we join up with that?" If Kim Worthy is an honest and efficient public servant, and she were elected CE, it will be more enticing to Wayne County's neighbors, let alone better for it's citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Meh. I like Kym Worthy some. She thought her whole term was going to be a simple one, releasing a stream of press releases about gun violence and running buy-backs. Then the Kilpatrick thing fell into her lap. She works for the county, and has to deal with disengaged city voters and highly engaged voters from Livonia, Dearborn, Downriver, Romulus, Canton, etc. No, I don't think I'm going to pat her on the back too much for how she handled KK. She knew what she had to do to distance herself from them and score points with the voters.

For instance, what did she do about Karen Plants and Mary Waterstone for all the years we knew about that fiasco? Nothing. And she should be ashamed of that. No statements about wrongs, just constantly putting off comment until those cases are resolved. Not too cool, Kym.

This kind of municipal corruption is rampant in Wayne County. The difference between McNamara and Ficano is that McNamara could manage it effectively. Mullin will be gone be before Thanksgiving, maybe as early as next week. Ficano will be gone by St. Patrick's Day. In order to run a corrupt empire in the long run, you need a ring of fall guys and plausible deniability surrounding you. Neither Mullin nor Ficano was smart enough to get that.

A question: is there a public official in Wayne County who could clear up the corruption and institute real integrity in staffing & contracts, and bring actual transparency to Wayne County government? I am not proposing anyone. I truly don't know.