Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
This topic leaves me scratching my head as to what makes a good hockey bar. Is it the biggest TV screens available? Is it the availability of good food? Is it the service? Is it the amount of Wings jerseys & hockey sticks hung off the bar?

Or is it more of the people there?

Because to me, if I go to ANY bar where there's even a glimmer of a good Wings game on the tube and I'm surrounded by good knowledgeable enthusiastic friends- it's going to be a good hockey bar. I'm not exactly one to rant and rave to total strangers about the game but do like surrounding myself with good fun folks- and my circle of friends have frequented places like Mr. B's, Z's Villa, Bookies and the occasional coney island with a flickering set.

It's all about the company that one keeps.
Good thought.

When I consider a "Good" hockey bar, I immediately think of high-definition TV's scattered around the bar for viewing ease. High-def hockey is pretty solid. I also like to have the volume of the game up throughout the bar so I can focus on the play by play. We have pretty good announcing with Ken Daniels, Mickey and Murph. It's worth it to me to hear their insights. I could go without Jon Keating however, although he's more or less adopted by now.

But another thing for a good hockey bar would have to be lots of fans and team pride. Throw in some good swill on tap, "red wings shots" when they score and some good eats and ya got me. Maybe a long [[big) bar would be nice too. I like sitting at the bar for some reason. Quick service is a plus.

After that it's all the regular stuff like clean premises/bathrooms, modestly priced, good parking....... all that small business mumbo jumbo.