Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    How right you are, excuse me for questioning the purpose of the local monopoly.
    If they are abusing their monopoly power, they are doing a lousy job of it. Their profit ratio is on the low end of what is typical for an energy company [[around 6% vs. 9% industry average)

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Protest shutoffs. Gimme a break. Pay the fooken bill. Problem solved.
    A man with regular power - f-you. You should live with the rest of us.

Please leave DTE from harm. They only are here to help you out. You are the consumer, we only do good, look at our flyers with happy people. Please be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgeabilly View Post
    • Events on November 1, 2011
      • March on DTE: Stop the Shutoffs!
        Starts: 1:00 pm
        Ends: 3:00 pm, November 1, 2011
        Location: Grand Circus Park to DTE Energy Plaze, 2000 Second Ave.
        Description: Our Neighborhoods need: Clean, Affordable Energy now! Make Energy Shutoffs Illegal! Stop Dirty Coal Pollution with Clean Energy Solutions! Promote Green Energy Jobs!
    I gave this some more thought and wanted to warp it into an outrageous statement, then justify my outrageous statement.

Outrageous Statement: This group is for huge increases in utility bills for everyone, including the very poor, that may not be affordable for everyone.

Justification: Clean energy will cost a lot more money than dirty energy, this will cause an increase in our utility bills. Allowing payment to be optional for utility bills will further complicate things by further increasing the cost of energy for those still paying.

Additional thoughts: As I stated previously, I most certainly am for green energy. I'd like to see a jobs bill focus on creating hydro, solar, wind, and nuclear power. We just have to realize that all this does have to be paid for, and I'd like to see some of it done through large federal projects, like the ones that created our dams and the interstate freeway system. However, a serious green energy bill will also involve higher energy bills to pay for more expensive, but cleaner forms of power.

By passing common sense green energy requirements we can slowly move to a much better mix between fossil fuels and renewable energy [[as well as nuclear). Allowing the price of energy to rise to pay for this will also make folks re-think how they use energy, and encourage folks to use less by using the most effective incentive; cost. By using less energy, it will allow us to use less fossil fuels [[because we'd use all available green energy first before burning fossils).

Utilities already have many educational and rebate programs for customers that replace old energy guzzlers with new appliances that meet certain efficiency requirements. I've taken advantage of a program that provided me with a $350 rebate on a $2,300 furnace I bought that was of a high efficiency.
    Last edited by Scottathew; October-30-11 at 07:44 AM.

Please leave DTE from harm. They only are here to help you out. You are the consumer, we only do good, look at our flyers with happy people. Please be happy.
    Yes, I understand you're upset with the reliability of your service. If the group was only protesting that, I would support them. DTE had issues this summer with prolonged brownouts\blackouts in Detroit, Ferndale, and Redford.

We also had several batches of large storms as well, including one that came after a hurricane, which left us with few crews to restore power. We need to encourage DTE to do better in the future, but do so with the understanding that there can only reasonably be so many resources to address these issues; big storms will cause big outages.

What I don't see you addressing is the main grievance this group has, which is that if you don't pay, DTE will eventually turn off your service due to non-payment.

This group believes that you should pay a higher bill so that some people don't have to pay. Some of those people don't have the funds to pay. However, other people do have the funds but simply choose to make other things a priority over having utilities.

I believe better options exist other than the forced subsidization of utility costs to only the people that are willing to pay.

For example, if this issue is very important to you, you may choose to donate and volunteer for a charity that provides assistance to folks in need. One such charity is here: http://www.thawfund.org/

In general, charities are run more efficiently and effectively than government-forced charity. In this example, instead of having people making a strategic decision to force paying customers to subsidize them, there instead would be a charity that can determine actual need and get dollars to the folks that need it most.
    Last edited by Scottathew; October-29-11 at 09:07 PM.

Hmm, stuff happens even when you've been faithfully paying for decades, on time and in full.

I think the subsidy thing is already in the minds of DTE, thus why they will cut you off fast if are not participating in the one of the Shut off Protection Plans [[spread the pay plans). My gas was on the verge of being shut off last year for the first time due to a financial emergency [[it happens). I explained to them my hardship and having never had a service interruption in 25+ years and all I got was rude talk. They refused partial payments, knowing that once they shut me off, the 'reconnection' fees would be nearly a third of the original bill!

Thankfully, I was able to get the moneys together and pay the balance on the bill before things actually got SHUT OFF! Now, I was not looking for a 'handout' just more time. I am back on one of their Shut off protection plans were I pay the same amount every month so hopefully, I will not have any more spikes in my usage causing a big bill! I've been on the plan before and one advantage is that you have a month or two with no bill owning as a credit.

If you are not on one of their "spread the pay" plans you can expect to have your utilities shut off if you fall behind even with a partial payment.
    Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Pay your bills and you won't get shutoff.

Otherwise, if we make shutoff illegals paying customers subsidize non-paying customers. There would be greater incentive to not pay your bill if the utility has no recourse to non-payment.

If you want to help people who can't afford to pay their heating bills donate to a charity; but don't force everyone to donate to your cause.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-30-11 at 08:25 AM.

Yeah, green will be extremely costly even at the infrastructure point for many years and while I somewhat support the initiatives in that direction I know it will mean even higher bills.
    Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    And it's funny that the people organizing this protest want both free energy, and also want more expensive green energy. So the want higher expenses for DTE, but less revenue coming because we want paying to be optional.

I wonder if those fly-by-night sales-commission based 'alternative' utility companies will be TROLLING the event, trying to get people to sign up for their plans. Concealing the fact that they are BUYING their power from DTE! Now they will cut you off faster than DTE if you fall behind on your bill!! LOL!

Default Regulated-that's a good one

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    You missed the point AGAIN the point was that DTE is regulated and YOU have some recourse for unecessary outages.
    Regulated, that's too funny. Where were the regulators when DTE was laying off linemen and paying huge executive bonuses while homes burned in Detroit. Ask over extended Detroit firefighters who had to babysit the downed lines about "regulators". If that's regulations, I'll take mine rare.

I have had tremendous luck strongarming DTE to do my bidding via the Michigan Public Service Commission. It's like calling the cops on them... they react quickly. So, regulation does do something.

I also buy American products to help keep locals in jobs so that they can pay their bills. And additionally, I give to THAW every month. [[http://www.thawfund.org/). But I'm sure the protestors are doing those two things already.

Now that's funny right there......

Occurrence Guest

The only problem I really have with DTE is that if you're going through hard times and miss a payment they are all over your ass, but when you pay your bills on time you can occasionally experience random power outages and you will only get power back when THEY want to fix the problem.

Regulated, that's too funny. Where were the regulators when DTE was laying off linemen and paying huge executive bonuses while homes burned in Detroit. Ask over extended Detroit firefighters who had to babysit the downed lines about "regulators". If that's regulations, I'll take mine rare.
    WOW the lack of some understanding of how your own PSC works is amazing! Regulated does NOT mean that every business decision that DTE must make is up for approval by the PSC primarily just the rate structure and the recovery of capital investments. It's aparent that DTE should invest in improving their infrastructure but GUESS WHAT? Your rates would go up and you'd be on here pissing and moaning about that and planning another assinine protest against "the man".

Why can't DTE have a ban on shutoffs just during the winter months [[heating season) like some other places [[DC comes to mind). Once we get to March or April everythings fair game. That way you don't have the bad publicity of someone freezing to death or using a gas stove to stay warm.

I remember that night. The City of Warren sent fire rigs into Detroit to help out [[no mutual aide contract). It was the first time Warren fire rigs went south of 8 Mile on a run since 1967.

Did they ever consider that the middle of a work day might not be the very best time for a protest?

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Why can't DTE have a ban on shutoffs just during the winter months [[heating season) like some other places [[DC comes to mind). Once we get to March or April everythings fair game. That way you don't have the bad publicity of someone freezing to death or using a gas stove to stay warm.
    TOTALLY agree as the utilities in GA have an agreement that no cut offs will happen if the projected temp is 32 or below.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    TOTALLY agree as the utilities in GA have an agreement that no cut offs will happen if the projected temp is 32 or below.
    How many days a year is GA at 32 or below as compared to MI?

Are you suggesting that would work here?

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    They don't? Pretty sure they used to at least. I know MichCon did.

A man with regular power - f-you. You should live with the rest of us.
    You know what they say about assumptions dude. Nice post, continue to stay classy.
    Not to mention, I believe the OP was about shut-offs, not outtages?

Overlook the very obvious bias of the linked website [[it was one of the first that came up after a search about utility shutoffs) and just look at the numbers;

For 2010;
    There are two primary gas and electricity companies in Michigan: DTE Energy, a merger of Detroit Edison [[electricity) and Michigan Consolidated [[gas), and Consumers Energy, also a combined gas and electric company. DTE, the larger of the two, is the main service provider for southeast Michigan, including Detroit.

According to MPSC’s monthly statistics, between January and May 53,040 households had their electricity turned off by DTE and another 31,729 had their gas service disconnected. Consumers Energy put 42,398 electricity customers in the dark during this period and disconnected another 35,200 gas customers. Altogether 84,769 DTE customers saw their utilities turned off during the first five months of the year compared to 77,598 homes by Consumers, a whopping total of 162,367 households.

The myth that utility companies are not allowed to shut off utilities in the winter is disproved by the MPSC statistics. January—one of the coldest months of the year—had the highest number of shutoffs for 2010, with 36,831 shutoffs between the two utility giants. On average, 30,000 households faced shutoffs each month of the five-month period.
    http://www.wsws.org/articles/2010/ju...mpsc-j21.shtml

For 2011;
    Statewide statistics for the frigidly cold months of January, February and March confirm that the utility companies have escalated their brutal policy of utility shutoffs. DTE shut off nearly 50,000 households during the period and the other local gas and electric company, Consumers Energy, shut off another 36,000 households.
    http://www.wsws.org/articles/2011/ma...heat-m04.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    The only problem I really have with DTE is that if you're going through hard times and miss a payment they are all over your ass, but when you pay your bills on time you can occasionally experience random power outages and you will only get power back when THEY want to fix the problem.
    Agreed. Also, if your power gets shut off, it can be done with a flip of a switch. Once you pay up & are eligible to get it back on, they have to submit a "work order" & have to "schedule it". It can take up to 4 days to get this work order scheduled. My sister in law experienced this a few years ago. They can turn off as fast as anything. We know they can turn it back on again just as fast, but they have to stick it to you for some extra days making you wait for them to get around to turning it back on. Kind of like when you did something wrong as a kid & your parents wanted you to "take the time to think about what you did". DTE wants you to take the time to think about not paying your bill on time, no matter what the circumstances were.

detroitjim Guest

Getting your utilities shut off at the time you will really be needing them has got to be a helpless feeling.
    I'd like to know what the statistics are on those who pay the past due bill after having their service cut off.
    I will guess that the number is less than 10%.
    I will also guess that those of whom,that have no intention of paying their bill , do nothing to keep their usage to a minimum .
    It seems that the usual attitude of today is "Fug dem, cut the heat on up" "They cant cut my gas off [[at least ,not now) " .Thats why you can travel around and see occupied homes with the front door open during winter.[[only the storm door closed) Or sometimes a window open [[maybe because its too hot inside and need to cool off a bit).

Rather than protest shut offs contribute to THAW or a charity that assists with utility bills as another poster suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Thames View Post
    How many days a year is GA at 32 or below as compared to MI?

Are you suggesting that would work here?
    Doesn't matter how manynjust the cut off temp.

If THAW would only pay folks to insulate their homes ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast