Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Fun female characters in Detroit's history?

hello! I am wondering if anyone can tell me some fun interesting characters from Detroit's past that are female? I was thinking along the lines of hazen pingree or coleman young, just interesting people that happen to be female?
    Last edited by kick22; October-26-11 at 03:24 PM.

Didn't we have a thread like this a while ago? Rosa Parks, etc.?

I only recently found out about Sophie Lyons, "queen of the underworld."

is there? I am just trying to come up with a good costume for halloween and wanted something good, fun and from Detroit's past and really couldnt think of any interesting female from Detroit's history [[other than some motown peeps and rosa parks) but i wanted someone with a spooky story

Quote Originally Posted by kick22 View Post
    I am just trying to come up with a good costume for halloween and wanted something good, fun and from Detroit's past and really couldnt think of any interesting female from Detroit's history [[other than some motown peeps and rosa parks) but i wanted someone with a spooky story
    Let us know who you ended dressing up as!! And post a photo too!!

Quote Originally Posted by kick22 View Post
    but i wanted someone with a spooky story
    Well, if you want spooky/evil, there's Alberta Easter.

But you'd probably have people shooting at you.

Le Nain Rouge? Seems an easy costume for man or woman...

How about Mary Beck, first woman elected to Detroit City Council. She served from 1950 - 1970. As noted in the Detroit Free Press obituary, Dr. Beck was remembered by her political opponents and her colleagues on the Common Council for several other things as well - "her unusual hats" and the "swear box," which, in an era when the council chambers were "outfitted with spittoons and stained by cigar smoke," she initiated to fine councilmen who used profanity during sessions, with the proceeds going to charity. "For two decades she was a presence in city politics, and when she left it would never completely be a man's world again."

You're looking for a fun and interesting character: Lily Tomlin aka Ernestine the telephone operator. She's a Detroiter: Crossman ES, Hutchenson MS, and Cass Tech HS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9e3dTOJi0o

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    You're looking for a fun and interesting character: Lily Tomlin aka Ernestine the telephone operator. She's a Detroiter: Crossman ES, Hutchenson MS, and Cass Tech HS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9e3dTOJi0o
    My mom remains convinced to this day that she worked the switchboard in the basement of Kern's with Lily back in the 1950s.

Well I don't know about "fun"... but how about "funny" [[in a twisted sort of way)...

Here we have an image of 3 former important women in Detroit...

1) the left one would win for the "Aunt Esther's Gorilla Cookie Mold" award...
    2) this middle one would win for the "Mommy Dearest Reenactment Award" in public meetings...
    3) and right one would win an award for "I know music and little else..."
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gistok; October-26-11 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Well I don't know about "fun"... but how about "funny" [[in a twisted sort of way)...

Here we have an image of 3 former important women in Detroit...

1) the left one would win for the "Aunt Esther's Gorilla Cookie Mold" award...
    2) this middle one would win for the "Mommy Dearest Reenactment Award" in public meetings...
    3) and right one would win an award for "I know music and little else..."
    Or you and a friend can go as a couple:

Name:  kwame & barbara.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  31.3 KB

How about Emily Gail? With her pigtails and her "Say Nice Things About Detroit" campaign?

http://community.detnews.com/blogs/i...009/07/02/p701

Emily Gail now lives in Hawaii and has a "Say Nice Things About Hawaii" campaign. Emailed her and got a very nice reply a few years ago.

I don't know about "fun," but when it comes to being a character, one could make an argument for Martha Jean the Queen. She was one terrific lady and she could definitely be a character at times. RIP Queen! God Bless You, we love you.

Though she's not that funny, activist Millie Jeffrey should get a mention here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millie_Jeffrey

The late Councilwoman Irma Henderson gets my vote, she had dignity, style, grace and poise....BUT...hold on to your ass if you pissed her off.

Who has that photo of Stella? That was pretty scary.

Marilyn Turner from the channel 7 news...way back and the morning show called Kelly and Turner

Barbara-Rose Collins.

Also Custer's wife, Libby Bacon Custer, was from Monroe, MI

Not strictly Detroit but Sojourner Truth was a Michigander from Battle Creek

A very energetic lady, my auntie: Lottie the Body

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    A very energetic lady, my auntie: Lottie the Body

What a coincidence! Just finished watching a DVD "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" - the story of the [[unrecognized) Motown house band - The Funk Brothers. In one segment the orignal band members are talking with Lottie and about the old days when they used to play at a club where she performed.

Good times.
    Last edited by Packman41; October-28-11 at 09:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast