Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Matilda Dodge was an interesting character. Shortly after she married one of the Dodge Brothers both the Dodge boys kicked off and the company became hers. She was instantly one of the richest women in America and showered the City with things such as the Wilson Theatre [[Music Hall) and loads of money to the DIA. She was also instrumental in starting what would become Oakland University.

I heard Kay Everett was alot of fun!

Stromberg2

I wish I'd saved the issue of Vanity Fair of ten or so years ago that had an article about a wealthy lesbian powerboat racer who contested a lot of races on the Detroit River with Gar Wood in the 1930's. She retired to a privately-owned island in the Caribbean. A very far-out character, whose name I can't recall, but I bet some boat-racing historians will know it.

Not really "fun," but certainly notable -- Viola Gregg Liuzzo:

http://www25.uua.org/uuhs/duub/artic...olaliuzzo.html

Emily was the one that came to mind. We used to get a kick out of her store in Trapper's Alley when it first opened. All kinds of goofy trinkets and novelties. It was almost worth the trip downtown alone.

Fanchon Stinger

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    A very energetic lady, my auntie: Lottie the Body

What a coincidence! Just finished watching a DVD "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" - the story of the [[unrecognized) Motown house band - The Funk Brothers. In one segment the orignal band members are talking with Lottie and about the old days when they used to play at a club where she performed.

Good times.
    Last edited by Packman41; October-28-11 at 09:10 AM.

That female boat racer was Betty Carstairs. Google her. She was definitely an interesting character. You'll need a little Lord Tod Wadley.

Emily Gail now lives in Hawaii and has a "Say Nice Things About Hawaii" campaign. Emailed her and got a very nice reply a few years ago.

I don't know about "fun," but when it comes to being a character, one could make an argument for Martha Jean the Queen. She was one terrific lady and she could definitely be a character at times. RIP Queen! God Bless You, we love you.

^ you betcha!

How about Cassandra and Cossandra Rutherford from the Fireworks fiasco in 1991?

Quote Originally Posted by kick22 View Post
    I am just trying to come up with a good costume for halloween and wanted something good, fun and from Detroit's past and really couldnt think of any interesting female from Detroit's history [[other than some motown peeps and rosa parks) but i wanted someone with a spooky story
    Let us know who you ended dressing up as!! And post a photo too!!

Spooky story....well it's gotta be Monica or Barbara Blows Collins!

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Matilda Dodge was an interesting character.
    Woo-hoo!! Matilda Rausch, daughter of German immigrants, left her home in Ontario to attend business school in Detroit ... met and married John Francis Dodge, inherited his fortune [[as DetroitPlanner said), then married lumber baron Alfred Wilson and received the bulk of his estate when he passed away. She was the 43rd Lieutenant Governor of Michigan, the principal designer of Meadow Brook Hall and [[as DetroitPlanner noted) the co-founder of the Oakland campus of MSU, later Oakland University. Was involved in politics, banking, finance, and philanthropy - seems to have been an all-around good gal. What a lady!!

How 'bout Jackie Gordon, wife of the TV gadfly Lou Gordon? Jackie read the "viewers' questions" each week, and she was elegant, poised, and a great asset to her hubby:

^^^ Helium hair. LOL! j/k

Ruby M. Zahn, founder of Progressive Civic League; crusader for justice in prisons & other institutions; also against cruelty to children & animals during 1900s-1940s. she was also a suffragist, and fought to ban liquor at dance halls

lived at 96 Monterey

Quote Originally Posted by kick22 View Post
    but i wanted someone with a spooky story
    Well, if you want spooky/evil, there's Alberta Easter.

But you'd probably have people shooting at you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2