Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Let them shoot you at Crime Scene One. Never, ever go to Crime Scene Two, if you can help it!

Streetlights - please.

I don't even want to bother wasting the energy looking up this thread, but...

To WhomEver made that lame-ass argument against Jeremy's use of the term 'rich kids'...to those without, EVERYONE with anything looks rich. If they present themselves easy pickings, they will eventually get picked. It is the way of the streets, and exists in every major metropolitain area all over the world, throughout history. If you choose to ignore it, you will be a victim at some point.

Jeremy spoke his point very well.

The Cass Corridor portion of Midtown needs special attention, or the whole damned experiment may indeed fail.

But Mayor Bong needs to find another grower to bust, instead. Go figure.

No cheers on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by detroittrader View Post
    I've always considered everything bounded by Warren, Fisher [[I-75), The Lodge and Woodward as Cass Corridor.
    Yup except, I-94 not Warren is considered the north end of it for many old-timers. Hillbillies on the lower end, hippies, students, artists and bohemians on the upper end and pimps and hoes in between. Cass Corridor carries history and meaning. The name Midtown is so bland, uninspired and has almost no meaning. I think that is what burns long time denizens most.

Tempest in a teapot. I am just happy that the entire area is on such a great upswing!

This is becoming a redux of http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1202853922

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I don't even want to bother wasting the energy looking up this thread, but...

To WhomEver made that lame-ass argument against Jeremy's use of the term 'rich kids'...to those without, EVERYONE with anything looks rich. If they present themselves easy pickings, they will eventually get picked. It is the way of the streets, and exists in every major metropolitain area all over the world, throughout history. If you choose to ignore it, you will be a victim at some point.

Jeremy spoke his point very well.

The Cass Corridor portion of Midtown needs special attention, or the whole damned experiment may indeed fail.

But Mayor Bong needs to find another grower to bust, instead. Go figure.

No cheers on this one...
    By your logic..."anyone with anything" is automatically "presenting themselves as easy pickings" and therefore "going to get picked".

So you're saying maybe if they looked more like homeless people, raving lunatics, or prostitutes then they wouldn't have caused so many problems for themselves.

Next time I go out I'll be sure to grab some clothes from the hamper, piss myself, and drink a pint of whiskey so nobody will think of ripping me off. And shame on me for being white.

I don't know what other "major metropolitan area" you hang out in [[Perhaps Gary, Indiana, or Mogadishu, Somalia?) but unless you're in the worst neighborhoods of most cities, your average person can walk around with little chance of falling victim of armed robbery.

I'm sick of bullshit "crime is in all cities!" excuse. Yeah, but not like Detroit. Even most American cities have cleaned up their act. In Detroit, just walking around minding your own business makes you "easy pickings."

I know people who have been stuck up, mugged, and SHOT and these people didn't look like or frankly have anything. They didn't ignore any imaginary Detroit rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    It's called the Cass Corridor because Lewis Cass owned everything between Cass and Third, from Michigan north. So there ya go, one long strip of land [["corridor") owned by Lewis Cass: Cass Corridor.

It's history, baby. You can't deny it.
    What about all those ribbon farms that went thru Downtown? Or thru Lafayette Park? It's a conspiracy I tell ya... a CONSPIRACY!!!

Luckily we got Campus Martius back from 50 years of highjacking the name for Kennedy Square...

Well since "MIDTOWN" is so hot commercially... may be we should name DOWNTOWN...."LOWER MIDTOWN"!!

When WE Baby Boomers are all gone... then the name "Cass Corridor" will go the way of "12th Street"... a notorious page in history...

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    I don't know what other "major metropolitan area" you hang out in [[Perhaps Gary, Indiana, or Mogadishu, Somalia?) but unless you're in the worst neighborhoods of most cities, your average person can walk around with little chance of falling victim of armed robbery.

I'm sick of bullshit "crime is in all cities!" excuse. Yeah, but not like Detroit. Even most American cities have cleaned up their act. In Detroit, just walking around minding your own business makes you "easy pickings."

I know people who have been stuck up, mugged, and SHOT and these people didn't look like or frankly have anything. They didn't ignore any imaginary Detroit rules.
    Or you could compare Detroit to Chicago, Cleveland, and Youngstown, which are also rust belt cities...but it's better to use hyperbole and imply that we're as bad as Somalia...But that's ok, because "most American cities have cleaned up their act". True, and so have some areas of Detroit. It's not like there hasn't been improvement in the Corridor since the 80s!

All I was suggesting is that a rapid influx of affluent or apparently affluent people, many of whom have disposable income, into a historically low-income area, leads to robberies. Which is not a debatable fact. Instead of bitching about how bad Detroit is, let's try to create a better community. The mentality of "detroit is shit" is what leads to mentalities like those of my old neighbors. They were a group of rich suburban kids who moved into an apartment building on Forest, trashed it, and would routinely throw beer bottles at homeless people on the street from their balcony. Respect is a two way street.

I plan on calling PLD and asking them why they have been so slow to fix the lights in a "desirable" area of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    But, as others pointed out, it's a branding effort from a PR agency, so what do you expect?
    Lets get a beer and discuss this somewhere in the Necklace District.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Lets get a beer and discuss this somewhere in the Necklace District.
    Hahaha.

http://detroit.apartmenthomeliving.c...strict-detroit

"Nothing says happiness, excitement, joy and freedom like living in Necklace District apartments for rent in Detroit! Each day is a breath of fresh air with many new adventures for local residents to enjoy and be living proof that Detroit apartment living is like no other! Hi, I’m Trey, the Official Detroit apartment living guide and I am looking forward to helping you find a fun place just like the hundreds of happy residents who I’ve helped find Detroit Necklace District apartments for rent."

By your logic...

Where in the HELL do you understand that I was BLAMING anyone except the f'in' perpetrators of crime?!

I was showing another perspective of how Jeremy's use of the term 'rich' is fully understood on the streets by those who do not have, but want. Some crime is borne of 'need', but I'd venture a guess that is very rare.

Go off on someone else, 'Pole, your misunderstanding is glaring. Ignorance is never pretty.

Crime DOES happen anywhere and everywhere...and the shinier your bling, the bigger a target you appear to those so inclined. Doesn't put YOU at fault, don't even attempt to pin that idiotic a statement on me.

To some, it is enough to see someone with fairer complexion and a smaller build that makes 'em a target. Your cry about those who suffered crime without attracting it reveals your lack of common street sense.

Sincerely,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; October-25-11 at 02:13 PM.

So tired of the if-you-get-robbed-it's-your-own-fault mentality here. Of course nobody owns up to it, but the victim is always blamed somehow. I've lived so many places, and there's nothing like it anywhere else. it's the biggest single impediment to Detroit's renewal.

detroitjim Guest

Why would you expect anything else from the Cass Corridor?

Got to get some dem snaps ! .......You Know.

Yep, and the area above that until you get to West Grand Blvd has been known as Midtown... but as others have said the name is not the issue. The increasing CRIME is the first issue!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by detroittrader View Post
    I've always considered everything bounded by Warren, Fisher [[I-75), The Lodge and Woodward as Cass Corridor.

Ravine Guest

What a classic DY thread this one has become. The argument has uprooted the topic and taken its place.

If you walk around in a high-crime area, the more you look like you got somethin,' the more likely it is that you will be accosted and, probably, robbed.

Of course, one should be able to walk around anywhere, with anything, without having to worry about being victimized. But, the streets of Detroit are not as they should be, so a wise citizen will comport themselves in accordance with how things are.

So, call it "blaming the victim," if you insist, but walking around, alone, un-armed, and looking like a Have, in an area teeming with Have Nots, especially one with no goddam working streetlights, is foolish and-- yes-- "asking for trouble."

Sure, no matter where you are or how you look, if you are accosted in any way, you have been wronged, you are a victim, and 100% of the fault is in the character & behavior of the attacker, but you can work toward forestalling that victimization by being aware of your circumstances, alert to your surroundings, and not making unnecessary, or downright stupid, mistakes.

Being In the Right is great, but-- speaking as a 36-year resident of Detroit [[including the area under discussion, back when it was a bit grislier than it now is)-- it's even better to arrive home, safely, where one can comfortably sit around and split immaterial hairs about who was to blame when something bad, that was somewhat likely to happen, happens.
    Last edited by Ravine; October-26-11 at 12:44 AM.

I lived at Second and Prentis in 1988/9...loved the view up and down Second Avenue. We had two windows that protruded from the building and from the third floor, I often would sit watching over the street. Fell deeply in love with the city with my first stay away from home...and the troubles were much greater in that area at that time.

Back then, WSU Public Safety wasn't quite the force it grew to be, and there was another hired security firm also patrolling the area. The city cops were basically worthless, even though their shop was less than six blocks away.

We watched for predators...one night I saw a fellow quickly cross the street stalking a young woman. I knew if I yelled, it could get weird and direct attention our way...so I merely jingled my keys out of the open window. The perp freaked, knowing someone else was possibly moving his way...and changed course immediately. The woman made it to the next building safely.

Although the Bronx was across the street, we walked to the Old Miami almost daily when it was warm. There were a few blocks that were no-man's land...but somehow not one of us ever had trouble beyond smashed windows and ransacked glove boxes. [[somehow the fuckers always broke the MOST expensive window in the damn car, too!)

I did know someone from that time who always poured a glass of water on his crotch to make everyone think he was crazy and homeless...and it would dry before he'd make it to class. He did it just to get to school without hassle.

The perps are always at fault, anyone who understands my words any other way is beyond help. But, as Ravine clarified, behavior and attention and appearance can either encourage or discourage predators from making you their prey. Go on with your bad self, bling on, and pray. Because you'll need divine help at some point.

<sigh>

I'm going to try to get some sleep.

Sincerely,
    John

DPD needs to target the hoodlums that operate in the area you describe [[and I know it well). Bust people for outstanding warrents, pull them over for expired tabs and wreckless driving, and I'm sure plenty of other stuff will turn up in the process. Oh, and there is a year-round youth cerfew in Detroit. Enforce it.
    Why would want people stopped who drive safely?

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    I thought j to the's post was pretty good. Just a guy trying to be honest about how he sees it.
    Wow, back when I lived down there-- yes, Buddy Holly already had died-- the Beethoven was a place where you tried to get an apartment if you couldn't get a good one.

And "wreckless driving" is considered to be a Good Thing, here in the state of Michigan. I dunno how they see it, beneath the M-D Line. They have some funny ways, down there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Why would want people stopped who drive safely?
    Daniel, why are you up so late?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2