Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Damn, where'd you find TIN? All I can buy is aluminum...or as the Brits say, aluminium.

That said, your imagined continuation is not beyond consideration. Start with flouride added to drinking water, like the overt Nazis did in their internment camps to make everyone docile and easily led. Add a mesmerizing individual screen for 'entertainment'. Don't forget to let everyone know that if they only watch it for 4 hours or less per day they are 'above average'.

I would wager that this interrupting sleep patterns is designed to get more folks on sleep-aiding and daytime behavioral pharmeceuticals, and increase the amount of night-time drinking and drug consumption. Anything to keep the populace distracted and disengaged...not thinking for themselves, but content to simply absorb everything the telly and computer serve up as their convenient 'truths'. No need to waste energy with that troublesome critical thinking.

Better to squelch all doubt first...and make the doubters look like fools. Sometimes they help!

Where's that tin foil, dude?

Cheer,
    John

Hey, it's scary without the flouride.

Flouridation, Nazis, and tin foil all in the same post: Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    5. The 60-cycle frequency of our electrical grid is reported to be the eighth harmonic of the 7.83Hz fundamental of the Schumann Resonance, what is commonly called the 'heartbeat of the planet Earth'. Oddly, the European electrical grid frequency of 50Hz is the 7th harmonic...probably answering the question of 'why' these frequencies were first used...they were likely the most efficient with long-distance propogation, and the testers didn't know what they were tickling.
    I'll just respond to this one. 60Hz was chosen, among a few other factors, because dealing with the mathematics behind electricity involves a ton of trigonometry. Using numbers that divide out easily from 360 makes this a lot simpler [[just like 120V) Doesn't seem like a big deal now, but when all you had was pencil and paper, and you were doing differential equations figuring out the power distribution network for a whole city, every little bit helped.

120V at 60Hz is also, more or less, the sweet spot for a bunch of electrical engineering problems - transformer and motor design, transmission line engineering for last-mile distribution, etc...

As for the Schumann resonance, it was theorized in the early 1900's, but the exact frequency wasn't determined until the 1950's, decades after the 60Hz standard became widely used. And it's not 60Hz, but 59.9 Hz - doesn't sound like much of a difference but if you are looking to hit a resonant frequency, it has to be spot-on. Also keep in mind that, while related in some ways, an electromagnetic field [[Schumann resonance) is NOT the same thing as the radiation produced by moving electricity.

Fascinating explanation, JBMcB.

Gannon, sometimes you remind me of Kepler, looking for the music of the spheres ...

FYI: I just sent Linda Moulton-Howe and George Noorey a link to this forum, specifically the entry about the Hum. Also sent them a link to the MindBox story. George is from the Detroit area [[Redford, I think).

It was always in the middle of the night, usually between 4:20 and 4:35 in the morning.
    4:20... Really? I WONDER what could be the cause...

To go off on a tangent raised by JBMcB; 50 Hz and 60 Hz were just a couple of the frequencies used early in the development of power systems. A footnote from a history of the Consumers Power Company will explain it better than I can:

When alternating current came into use in the early days of the electric
    business, there were no standards of alternation. Consequently, a wide variety
    of frequencies developed. Since many early frequencies were based on
    alternations per minute, they resulted in fractional cycles per second. This is
    shown in the following tabulation:

Alternations per minute --> cycles per second

2,000 = 16 2/3
    3,000 = 25
    3,300 = 27 1/2
    3,500 = 29 1/5
    3,600 = 30
    4,000 = 33 1/3
    4,800 = 40
    6,000 = 50
    7,200 = 60
    8,000 = 66 2/3
    10,000 = 83 1/3
    15,000 = 125
    16,000 = 133

Michigan had its share of these frequencies. The early 125 and 133 cycles of
    Jackson were soon changed to 60 cycles. The territory in Grand Rapids had
    several frequencies. The Edison d.c.-system gave way to 60-cycle alternating
    current; the hydro plant on the Flat River, however, generated at 25 cycles.
    Interurban lines between Grand Rapids and Muskegon, as well as between Grand
    Rapids and Holland, operated at 3,500 alternations per minute, or approximately
    29 1/5 cycles per second. When Rogers Dam was built in 1905, it was decided to
    use 27 1/2 cycles so that a 25-cycle load could be taken on by speeding up the
    motors by 10 percent, and yet the railway load could be readily taken on by
    slowing down the rotary converters by 6 percent. When Croton [Dam] was added
    two years later, it was decided to increase the frequency to 30 cycles, which
    could be readily converted to the 60 cycles existing in Grand Rapids and
    Muskegon and would cause less lamp flicker than either 27 1/2 cycles or 25
    cycles.

After several years, the 60-cycle service in Grand Rapids and Muskegon was
    changed to 30 cycles. When Stronach Dam was built in 1914, and 44,000-volt
    lines were run to Cadillac and Manistee, it was necessary to change those cities
    to 30 cycles since Stronach and later Junction [[Tippy Dam) were to tie into the
    western 30-cycle system.

Direct current resulted in fewer transmission losses, and the fewer cycles of
    alternating current, the lower the losses. So 30 cycles had some advantage in
    that respect over 60 cycles.But, the 30-cycle fluctuation became objectionable
    with incandescent lighting. Also, in the course of time, there was more
    standardization on 60 cycles throughout the country. Thus 30 cycles became a
    nonconforming standard for equipment, and at times customers had difficulty in
    providing equipment for 30 cycles.

So, every now and then, the idea of changing the 30-cycle system to a 60-cycle
    system was presented. Finally, the 1928 budget included an item for such a
    changeover.

In a press release, C. W. Tippy pointed out that the existing 30-cycle equipment
    meant superior operating economies for the company and that the changeover would
    not increase capacity, but actually reduce it. Tippy pegged the cost of the
    changeover at $60 per 100,000 customers.

When the project commenced in 1929, a great deal of preliminary work was
    necessary: surveying customers' requirements, providing 60-cycle feeds, etc.
    One thing that brought the changeover to a head at this particular time was the
    contemplated construction of Oxbow [[later called Hardy) Dam, which was to be the
    world's largest earth dam. The question arose as to whether it should be a
    30-cycle or a 60-cycle operation and whether the transmission line from it
    should connect into Grand Rapids or should go cross-country to Lansing so as to
    become part of the then existing 60-cycle system."

Any information out there about the design and construction of the EHV [[345kv) transmission grid in Southeastern Michigan? I think it was designed in the late 50's and finished in the 70's. Those circuits can be identified by the fact that they have a double conductor phase bundle and are usually hung vertically on transmission structures, allowing for two circuits per tower. A good example is the double row of towers that runs along the utility corridor that runs between Hoover and Schoenherr from about Jewell Rd. and 26 Mile Rd [[the Jewell substation) to the Stephens Substation.

Quote Originally Posted by takascar View Post
    Any information out there about the design and construction of the EHV [[345kv) transmission grid in Southeastern Michigan? I think it was designed in the late 50's and finished in the 70's. Those circuits can be identified by the fact that they have a double conductor phase bundle and are usually hung vertically on transmission structures, allowing for two circuits per tower. A good example is the double row of towers that runs along the utility corridor that runs between Hoover and Schoenherr from about Jewell Rd. and 26 Mile Rd [[the Jewell substation) to the Stephens Substation.
    The bundled conductors are a good clue to the voltage level, although I think some parts of the system were built to a higher voltage standard in anticipation of future upgrades. I can post some information for you later, but I'll do it over on the "electrification of Detroit" thread: http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...ion-of-Detroit

FYI: I just sent Linda Moulton-Howe and George Noorey a link to this forum, specifically the entry about the Hum. Also sent them a link to the MindBox story. George is from the Detroit area [[Redford, I think).
    Awesome! I love C2C AM =). George Noorey is from Dearborn. He always seems excited when people call from around the area =).

Quote Originally Posted by BEEAH View Post
    4:20... Really? I WONDER what could be the cause...
    One of the first times i smoked weed, I was driving my old, crappy high school car and had to pull over because I SWORE I could hear all these crazy sounds coming from the engine. After about 10 minutes I figured out that I was just hearing the engine's normal noise but was fixating on it.

^^^^
    Now that's funny....and so familiar!

Stromberg2

FYI: West Coast hunters found an enormous unit buried near an old industrial park in West L.A.
    last week. This thing was dead - not hooked up to power but was designed to hook up to the high voltage primaries. It also has the ability to generate at least 4 kinds of waveforms. No tracking transponder on it [[The east side Detroit one was the ONLY one of the ones that have been found so far that had a tracking beacon).

The L.A. find was very fortunate. Some scrappers found it with a metal detector and tried to sell it to a surplus shop. They didn't know what it was, so it was posted to an electronics blog somewhere and one the the Hunt Staff saw it and bought it from the surplus place for $10.

I paged Gannon.

This really has been one of the more intriguing topics raised here, along with the Windsor Hum.

Like I've said before: it reads like a Hardy Boys mystery.

FYI: West Coast hunters found an enormous unit buried near an old industrial park in West L.A. last week. This thing was dead - not hooked up to power but was designed to hook up to the high voltage primaries. It also has the ability to generate at least 4 kinds of waveforms. No tracking transponder on it [[The east side Detroit one was the ONLY one of the ones that have been found so far that had a tracking beacon). The L.A. find was very fortunate. Some scrappers found it with a metal detector and tried to sell it to a surplus shop. They didn't know what it was, so it was posted to an electronics blog somewhere and one the the Hunt Staff saw it and bought it from the surplus place for $10.
    An update: The West L.A. find was the last box to be found. That make it 2 years since the last find. This is probably good news as finding these things is usually possible only because they are still online [[and thus annoying people). If there are more out there [[probably are), chances are that they're dead [[disconnected or degraded so they don't work anymore). Its possible that the CIA killed the remaining live ones once they knew someone was on to them [[after the Detroit Three Mile Drive box was killed) and after public postings about MindBox Hunters looking for them. This is probably a side-program being run without authorization and the operators didn't want to get smacked by higher-ups for creating a political "incident".

New update: Another one was found on Jane St. near Newport in Detroit in late 2022. Just hearing about it now. Someone was scrapping out abandoned houses in the area [[not sure if illegal or not ). The thing got sold to a electronics surplus shop. Some of the local MindBox hunters scour the surplus shops looking for these things and found this. Took a hell of a lot of convincing to get the shop owner to tell the hunter who sold it to him. They were able to get the guy to say where he found it. It is an *IDENTICAL* design to the Three Mile Drive box. No transponder on this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2