Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 30 Clifford St.

Default 30 Clifford St.

Drove by this building today [[small building across from the synagogue) and the facade has been removed. Rehab? Tear down? Vandals?

Updates added by Lowell... April 2, 2012

Progress continues on 30 Clifford.

I even got a peek inside.

View in October 2011

View in 2003

Turning it into a bar, that's according to one of the fellows working on it last week.

Progress to date...

The front of this building was "exploded" during the filming of a movie, Red Dawn, I think. So it's been sitting since it's movie experience. Glad that something positive is happening now!

Default Wall thickness!

What is the history of this building? Why does the west wall look so thick? Did it once have an additional floor?

Am I thinking about another spot... or did a Big Boy once exist in that building??

The facade on google maps seems like it used to be a club or bar prior to the Red Dawn use.

Btw, here the clip from the shooting.

This place was also used as St Andrew's in the Movie 8 Mile.

There used to be a fire station there:

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/d/dpa1ic/x...ll;q1=Clifford

Not sure if the remains are part of the new building.
    Last edited by MikeM; October-25-11 at 08:04 PM.

Don't forget transformers 3, it was featured more than any other Detroit location in the movie, even featured in promotional material

Talked to one of the owners recently while walking by. Going to be Bar Louie.

Another stunning Romanesque fire station we no longer have. The lot is vacant as of 1929.

OMG, can you imagine the traffic congestion at closing hours at that intersection?!

In a few months, you will be able to find an image of the new facade.

In the dictionary, next to the term clusterfuck.

ugh. I know what I'd do if I had a club...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Am I thinking about another spot... or did a Big Boy once exist in that building??
    IIRC, an optometrist was located there in the 80s and 90s.

agrahlma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    Would this be the same Bar Louie that is at Great Lakes Crossing?

http://www.barlouieamerica.com/home/

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    Might as well be a Cheesecake Factory or House of Blues!

The Big Boys was a block south. It later became a chinese place. It as well as a shoe store was torn down to expand the questionable bar.

It takes all kinds DP. I once even stumbled into a TGIFriday's in Chicago's Magnificent Mile for a drink. I say -- if this is indeed a chain place moving into this location -- that's one more good sign for the CBD. Even more so because it isn't in the usual hotspots: stadia, Greektown, Ren Cen, etc. I'm not familiar with Bar Louie, but I took a look at their website and it looks like a decent place. All of their Michgian locations appear to be in upscale suburban settings. They've got one at Laurel Park Place. If they brought a couple of neighbors such as chain stores Parisian and Von Maur along with them, would that be a bad thing, too? If indeed Bar Louie is locating here, I'm sure they won't get all the hype surrounding the coming of Whole Foods, but two or three joints like this will probably add more jobs than WF and take fewer tax credits.

Now, if only we could get Arby's down here again!

Name:  cowshed.jpg
Views: 4503
Size:  65.7 KB

After it was a firehouse, it was the Cow Shed.

transformers 3

I believe it was a dry cleaners at one point in the 80s.

I'm glad this was posted. Detroitbob and myself saw when the work first started and were wondering what the heck was going on.

Default Building on Clifford being rehabbed

Anyone know what the building on Clifford street between Washington Blvd. and Woodward is going to be? It's the building that was "blown up" for the Red Dawn movie..

Thanks,

Check out this thread "30 Clifford" from last month....
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...30-Clifford-St

Thanks Kathleen! I searched for "clifford" but didn't get anything.. A "Bar Louie" will be cool there I think. As long as too many of the patrons arn't from the nearby stripclub [[not a fan of 80% of the people/crap I see coming out of there)..

From 2002 or so:
    Name:  DryCleaners.jpg
Views: 3833
Size:  21.9 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast