DetroitYES Mini-Film Festival presents two Detroit-themed films by German director Dieter Marcello.
READ MORE »

JOIN DETROITYES NOW
FREE AND FUN

DISCUSSING ALL THINGS DETROIT SINCE 1999

ENJOY DETROITYES?


AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 50 of 50

Thread: 30 Clifford St.

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Pic progress update:


  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    581

    Default

    Was just watching Season 3 episode 1 of top gear, lots of Detroit shots including this building when it still had the Laundromat signage on it

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Article and pictures from Curbed Detroit:

    If you don't recognize the building from our pictures above, it's because its last facade was literally BLOWN OFF over two years ago. In fact, our squat friend here has seen a lot of action over the past few years. Besides being firebombed, it's been the site of epic rap battles and intergalactic robot fights. And now the storefront on Clifford Street (where Griswold Street T-bones) is going to see even more action.30 Clifford Street is set to become a Bar Louie.
    http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...atery.php#more

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    217

    Default

    I’m not convinced that this is going to be a Bar Louie. If you look at the Google street map there is a “For Lease” sign on the building with a telephone number. If you run a Yahoo search on that number the first hit is the Albanian-American Chamber of Commerce Members Directory. Scroll down the page and you’ll find a listing for Louie's Ham and Corned Beef Shop with the same contact telephone number. Too much of a coincidence? Could be a Bar Louie, or it could be a bar named Louie’s – we’ll see!

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Feb 9th update.

    Name:  IMGP3956.jpg
Views: 1329
Size:  27.2 KB

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Feb 9th update.

    Name:  IMGP3956.jpg
Views: 1329
Size:  27.2 KB
    Certainly did a number on that place! Looks good though.

  7. #32

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    19

    Default

    With the dual gables and little half-round details, it seems they may have been making a conscious reference to the old firehouse. Kudos to the designers if they were. It's looking good, though the first floor windows or the entrance could have been a little larger.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    905

    Default

    It looks nice, much nicer than it did before the 'blow up'. Louie's is a great place, so also good news about the future tenant.

    Now possibly someday the grotesque apartment building next to 30 Clifford will get some type of improvements. That place always seemed to be the ugliest building on Washington Blvd. Isn't it the Claridge Apts.?

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    It looks nice, much nicer than it did before the 'blow up'. Louie's is a great place, so also good news about the future tenant.

    Now possibly someday the grotesque apartment building next to 30 Clifford will get some type of improvements. That place always seemed to be the ugliest building on Washington Blvd. Isn't it the Claridge Apts.?
    Yep... Dan Gilbert put a bid in on that building.... see his latest thread...

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    802

    Default

    This was 'stolen' from the other 30 Clifford thread, from a few years ago. User '48202' posted this image of 30 Clifford transformed for the film 8 Mile into a stylized version of Detroit's infamous Shelter night club.

    If I was the owner I would have pics on the wall of this building in every film it has been in over the years. What a cool way to get people to come to your bar, I mean the place has been used more for films than it ever has in real life.

    I wish they would've kept THIS facade up, it's gorgeous! Too bad the recent improvements have made it look more like a CVS than a unique urban building.

    Name:  30 Clifford.jpeg
Views: 793
Size:  39.7 KB

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Is that what it actually looked like or was it just for the movie?

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ismoakrack View Post
    Is that what it actually looked like or was it just for the movie?
    Movie magic, my friend.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    59

    Default

    I agree, really looks like a cvs coming, the brick color is out of place. I love the 2003 picture, mash-up, organic, no-self conscious, and how the optometrist letters got all scrambled like a crossword puzzle.
    Last edited by mpow; April-10-12 at 12:42 PM.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpow View Post
    I agree, really looks like a cvs coming, the brick color is out of place. I love the 2003 picture, mash-up, organic, no-self conscious, and how the optometrist letters got all scrambled like a crossword puzzle.
    That facade would not have lasted very long since it was mad out of wood with a foam covering.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    942

    Default

    Name:  clifford.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  25.7 KB

    Looks like they were filming the new Transformers in DC.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,359

    Default

    I was walking by tonight and the front door was open. A single construction worker appeared to be locking up. He let me take a look inside and as you can see from the photo, nothing much has changed since Lowell posted a photo two weeks ago. However, the outside now has windows which you can see in the second photo. I think they really add more warmth to the facade. I asked the worker if they would be open soon and he kinda laughed as he said they still had a lot to do. His estimate: December.

    Name:  IMG00227-20120416-1850.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  28.4 KB
    Name:  IMG00230-20120416-1853 (1).jpg
Views: 498
Size:  26.2 KB

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Does it bother anyone else that the gables in the parapet wall aren't quite centered over the windows below?

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andrew.w View Post
    Does it bother anyone else that the gables in the parapet wall aren't quite centered over the windows below?

    I believe they are actually, the picture is just a little deceiving. You realize the building doesn't have a flat front right? It kind of curves around a little.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,359

    Default

    Name:  30cliffordright.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  34.7 KB

    Name:  30cliffordleft.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  32.4 KB

    I walked by 30 Clifford again today, and decided I would try to settle the gable debate. Frankly, to the naked eye, it is hard to tell. But I snapped a couple of photos and overlaid a couple of lines to show the relationship of the gables to the windows. From that, it appears the left gable is definitely off-kilter, and the right possibly also, but only a little. Sorry for the truck parked in front, but I think you get the "picture" from the pictures.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Name:  30cliffordright.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  34.7 KB

    I walked by 30 Clifford again today, and decided I would try to settle the gable debate. Frankly, to the naked eye, it is hard to tell. But I snapped a couple of photos and overlaid a couple of lines to show the relationship of the gables to the windows. From that, it appears the left gable is definitely off-kilter, and the right possibly also, but only a little. Sorry for the truck parked in front, but I think you get the "picture" from the pictures.
    You are correct, and the left one is much worse. To add to the visual impact, the fact that the first floor facade includes the 1-2 foot 'jut' out to the right side makes you feel like the whole bottom got shifted off center from the gables. I would have made that extra first floor piece visually separte from the rest of the first floor facade...

    I'm just glad its a bar. When i first saw it in its recent state I throught for sure it would be a strip club, what with the smaller first floor windows and small door opening.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andrew.w View Post
    Does it bother anyone else that the gables in the parapet wall aren't quite centered over the windows below?
    A bigger problem is that the kitschy gables are a completely unnecessary embellishment of an already poorly conceived facade by a builder (or an owner) pretending to be an architect. Whoever decided upon the final design really squandered a great opportunity to improve a rare intact Detroit streetscape with a new storefront. Too bad there wasn't some kind of design oversight by the HDC or DEGC. Can't complain about the new investment though. If it's any good, I'll patronize the place.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGinthe313 View Post
    I’m not convinced that this is going to be a Bar Louie. If you look at the Google street map there is a “For Lease” sign on the building with a telephone number. If you run a Yahoo search on that number the first hit is the Albanian-American Chamber of Commerce Members Directory. Scroll down the page and you’ll find a listing for Louie's Ham and Corned Beef Shop with the same contact telephone number. Too much of a coincidence? Could be a Bar Louie, or it could be a bar named Louie’s – we’ll see!
    Has anybody heard any more definitive news on the occupants? The construction worker I talked to seemed clueless, but when I mentioned Louie's he perked up. But he didn't know the difference between a Bar Louie or a Louie's Ham and Corned Beef. He did, however, point out where the bar was going. That doesn't seem consistent with a deli.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cramerro View Post
    You are correct, and the left one is much worse. To add to the visual impact, the fact that the first floor facade includes the 1-2 foot 'jut' out to the right side makes you feel like the whole bottom got shifted off center from the gables. I would have made that extra first floor piece visually separte from the rest of the first floor facade...

    I'm just glad its a bar. When i first saw it in its recent state I throught for sure it would be a strip club, what with the smaller first floor windows and small door opening.
    Hmm guess they are off, crappy. And yeah if it was a strip club I'd protest or something... the other one near by is bad enough. And on another note... I was disappointed to see the sides of the new 30 clifford facade has been spray painted "tagged" already!

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Way back in the 50's, there were 3 pizza places to go to after being at a movie downtown, there was Famous, across from the Fox, LaLanterna's, on Griswold
    and there was Luigi's and if I'm remembering right, I believe it was in this very building. Is anyone out there old enough to remember where Luigi's was
    located?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •