In a rebuttal to a earlier statement about GM starting to build rail and busses. Even if there was no non-compete clause built into the sales/purchase agreement, the costs to re-enter these businesses would be astronomical. Time factor to acquire equipment, design and test product, then to secure a market. In other words, adding a new "player" to a already loaded field. There is only so many units that can be absorbed by the market per year. And with the current crisis, equipment replacement is being deferred until profits return. And you are going up against established companies, albeit you used to own them!

I previously [[last year) worked in what was supposed to be a recession proof business, commercial truck sales/service/parts. When in the space of two years, it would go from "Fix everything, yeah, replace the radio speakers too, they buzz, my driver complains, and put on a new driver's seat too, it's breaking down" to "Air conditioning's broke, too bad, he can roll down the windows, just repair what I need to pass D.O.T." this should tell you a lot.