Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Demolition has begun.

The National Trust for Historic Preservation is on the case. They sent out a mass email a few minutes ago. A colleague got this one at her office in Chicago:

TAKE ACTION NOW: DETROIT ICON SCHEDULED FOR DEMOLITION
    Stop the Demolition of Tiger Stadium

For nearly 20 years, Tiger Stadium has been the focus of a local and nationwide effort to preserve an icon of baseball. As one of the last remaining historic ballparks, the National Trust for Historic Preservation included the stadium on the list of 11 Most Endangered Places in America in 1991. Although partial demolition of the stadium took place last year, the remaining portion of the ballpark was slated for redevelopment that would preserve historic elements as retail, office and community space, and preserve the playing field itself and the lower deck seating as a venue for youth baseball.
    This vision was lost on Tuesday, June 2nd when the economic development arm of the city voted to follow through with complete demolition of Tiger Stadium.
    Demolition equipment was on site the following day, despite protests from preservationists, baseball enthusiasts and local activists.
    Demolition may take place as early as June 8th.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:
    WRITE THE CITY COUNCIL TODAY! [[link)
    Express your outrage with demolition of Tiger Stadium. Let them know that redevelopment of this iconic historic place could transform it back into a thriving center of community activity.
    Then, call Mayor Dave Bing's office at 313-224-3400 and voice your support for Tiger Stadium. He needs to know what protection of the stadium means to the City of Detroit and people across the nation.
    Learn more about Tiger Stadium on PreservationNation.

National Trust for Historic Preservation
    1785 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
    Washington, DC 20036
    202-588-6000 / 800-315-6847
    members@nthp.org / http://www.preservationnation.org/

They have started the demolition on the third base side.... Truely no vision....

This is a fantastic day for Detroit. After years of delay, we finally begin construction on the George Jackson Gardens. This new site will feature:

• Dirt;
    • Weeds; and
    • Trash.

In related news, a group of U.S. Senators were seen in Washington, DC drinking champagne and debating what they should do with the $18 million in federal money that would have otherwise gone to Detroit for the obstructionist OTSC plan.

I'm supporting Barrow.

I bet other once-great industrial cities like Boston, Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are just pissing themselves with envy at the modernization of Detroit, while they have all those ugly old eyesore buildings hanging around. Suckers!

What kills me is that the City of Detroit went out of their way to make a statement, and that statement is, "Fuck off, dear residents." Getting a contractor to mobilize on a Friday afternoon, you ain't exactly getting his bargain labor rate. Way to be prudent with taxpayer dollars, George Jackson!
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; June-05-09 at 03:41 PM.

While I don't necessarily agree w/the demolition happening right now, it appears to be imminent. So, what's next? Is the Conservancy going to at least try to save the field and perhaps even the dugouts? Is a "Field of Dreams" of sorts out of the question? Could someone in the know please provide any thoughts/clarification on any possible next steps?

They started at 3:41, mauled on the lower deck stands for a few minutes, then stopped. Not sure why.

It appears an injunction is being issued but unfortunately they were in such a hurry they have now taken a portion of the upper deck....

I am surprised they didn't pull a Madison/Lenox and knock down all the supports first.

By the way, is the clubhouse still there under the stands?

Both clubhouses are still intact.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanoutdoors View Post
    It appears an injunction is being issued but unfortunately they were in such a hurry they have now taken a portion of the upper deck....

WAIT. Part of the upper deck is gone?!?!?!

Does look like they started to clip the upper deck...check out the pics at the link below...

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...ium-demolition

Just a quick question... in bringing the stadium back to some semblence of Navin Field, wasn't the upper deck going to be removed anyway?

Also as an FYI... only 2 "specific" historic structures that were ever on the National Trust's annual "List of 11 Endangered Historic Places" were torn down.... a Motel in Reno Nevada [[after it was on the list), and the Madison-Lenox [[while it was on the list). Tiger Stadium was on the list about a decade ago, and would make it #3.

No wonder George Jackson is not highly thought of by the National Trust.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news..._tiger_stadium
    I like this one a little better...

Default Crain's Detroit

The following must read hit my e-mail last night--thought I'd share it with the group:

Please open the link below which is a column by Mary Kramer, the publisher of Crain's who you know is one of the most influential opinion makers in town. The column seriously questions the DEGC's actions and gets into how Rick Ruffner's offer to help in the redevelopment was totally ignored. If at all possible, could you help send this around like wildfire? This needs to be sent to all the media, the City Council, and the Mayor. Also, open up the link that refers to the reporters story.

Mary Kramer column:
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/section...insdetroit.com

Crain's article:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...E/906059989/-1

I have a couple of photos from yesterday, including a look at the damage done to the upper deck, over at www.buildingsofdetroit.com/places/tiger. Just click on demo pix. They're the last ones added to the gallery.

Maybe Geo. Jackson will attack Mary Kramer and call her a liar too. What's wrong with Detroit? Why can't it attract new business? Because you have people like Geo. Jackson in charge who operate on pay-to-play basis and only reward friends [[Ilitches) and family and can't be bothered to assist anyone who isn't in the right circles. Thank you to Mary for finally giving voice to what so many of us having been saying for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    Maybe Geo. Jackson will attack Mary Kramer and call her a liar too. What's wrong with Detroit? Why can't it attract new business? Because you have people like Geo. Jackson in charge who operate on pay-to-play basis and only reward friends [[Ilitches) and family and can't be bothered to assist anyone who isn't in the right circles. Thank you to Mary for finally giving voice to what so many of us having been saying for a long time.
    Oh, get real. What do *businesspeople* know about economic development???

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Oh, get real. What do *businesspeople* know about economic development???
    I sincerely hope that was a bit of sarcasim

Default Aerial Image of the demolition June 6, 2009

6-6-2006

Attachment 1582

Thanks for sharing the pic, FlyByDon!

...they definately took a bite out of her during those couple hours...

As I look at Flybydon's picture, and reflect on the plethora of ignorant comments on this thread, two things come to mind.

First, there is clearly, an awful lot of orange in the demolition debris, which tells me that they are tearing it out, remaining seats and all. As a taxpayer in the city, I am disgusted that such waste is taking place right in our faces. On this board, people who missed the first and only auction, have expressed interest in purchasing seats. The OTSC expressed interest in taking possession of remaining relics to use for fundraising activities. And instead, the DEGC made a horrible deal, which requires all those remaining seats to be destroyed and landfilled. With that kind of shortsighted decision, it is no wonder we still have an incinerator and are so far behind the rest of the country in recycling policy. Arrogance at it finest.

The other thing that screams at me when I look at Don's picture is that beautiful four acres of greenspace, and how much I would like the opportunity to walk upon it before they tear it apart. Did you know that the OTSC has twice requested permission to use that space for events that could be used to both educate the public about its mission and raise the necessary funds to carry it out. And both times they were dismissed by the city and DEGC. Think about it. The greatest asset in the campaign to create public awareness and support of the OTSC was denied to them. Why? Liability? Insurance was offered. OTSC doesn't have the experience to arrange such an event, so the Parade Company was contacted. So WHY? Is it possible that there are powerful people that don't want to see the OTSC actually succeed?

It it pretty clear to me what is what.

Four more Aerial images added to the pages from 6/6/2009

http://www.aerialpics.com/G/TigerStadiumDemo.html

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast