Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by urbanoutdoors View Post
    Kraig,
    I wish it was as simple as you make it but it is not. The city was given the stadium for $1 and didn't want to relinquish control over it when they voted on this 2 years ago. Instead they voted to allow plans to move forward but had to vote on the plan every step of the way thus giving council ultimate control of the fate of the stadium until they decided to relinquish it. It did not relinquish control of the stadium until just recently when it was believed they were relinquishing control so that conservancy plans could move forward as long as the EDC approved this... Instead the EDC decided to vote against it... I could be wrong on some minor details as I am just going off memory here and am going off my understanding from council hearings I attended.

In this economic state for the OTSC to do as well as they have is amazing. They were given an almost impossible task... The MOU made it almost impossible for them to meet deadlines yet they have done quite well at doing so and thus for the City to be saying that they have been given enough time is preposterous. The EDC knew it would be almost impossible and in my opinion it seems like they almost counted on them not being able to meet deadlines. I applaud the OTSC for doing as well as they have done and feel that the fight isn't over yet and hope that this careless decision can be reversed!

Like I said, it's an election year, so they have a shot. It probably wouldn't hurt if they could bring someone on board that had some real, practicle experience successfully taking on these type of projects.

Bulk of what cash, they don't have any.
    Oh, really???

Who was it then who paid the City of Detroit $350,000 as a security deposit to get the MOU signed in the first place?

Who is that has been paying $12,000 per month to secure and maintain the property for a couple of years now?

The OTSC has the cash in hand to complete this project, with the exception of the portions that are currently working their way through the federal bureaucracy.
    Ernie Harwell is the one that initially got City Council to convince the DEGC to hold off on demolition.
    Wow! You haven't been paying any attention to this project at all, have you?

It was the residents of the Corktown neighborhood - you know, the ones who vote in City Council elections - who convinced the City Council to put a stop to this madness. It was one particular member of the City Council [[JoAnn Watson, if I recall correctly) who convinced Ernie Harwell to get involved with the OTSC. Demolition was already held off long before Mr. Harwell had any involvement with the project.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    Oh, really???

Who was it then who paid the City of Detroit $350,000 as a security deposit to get the MOU signed in the first place?

Who is that has been paying $12,000 per month to secure and maintain the property for a couple of years now?

The OTSC has the cash in hand to complete this project, with the exception of the portions that are currently working their way through the federal bureaucracy.

Wow! You haven't been paying any attention to this project at all, have you?

It was the residents of the Corktown neighborhood - you know, the ones who vote in City Council elections - who convinced the City Council to put a stop to this madness. It was one particular member of the City Council [[JoAnn Watson, if I recall correctly) who convinced Ernie Harwell to get involved with the OTSC. Demolition was already held off long before Mr. Harwell had any involvement with the project.

So it wasn't S. Gary Spicer, who happens to be Ernie Harwell's attorney, who got Ernie Harwell involved, it was Joann Watson? And you're accusing me of not paying attention?

So, demolition had not been started when Ernie Harwell went to City Council and asked them to get DEGC to hold off and work with the Conservancy?

So, according to you, demoltion of 75% of Tiger Stadium is considered "holding off"?

You may want to think about hopping off that short yellow bus.

Less than 1% of a 33 million dollar project is nothing.