Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
I think it's fair with respect to the vast majority of Detroiters. The ones who don't go to preservation meetings or even know or care which building is which downtown. There are those in the city who care deeply about preservation but, like this forum, it's hardly a true cross section of the city. I don't agree with the decisions of the city regarding preservation but sadly I think they represent the citizens accurately on this.
This assertion, which claims that city government is just reflecting the anti-preservation wishes of city residents, is simply not true. To be sure. the vast majority of city residents do not care deeply about preservation, just like the vast majority of suburbanites do not care about preservation, just like the vast majority of Americans do not care deeply about preservation. However, this doesn't mean that these people are anti-preservation. It just means that they are much more concerned with other issues.

Dave Bing publicly [[in a mayoral debate) gave his support for the preservation of Tiger Stadium shortly before he was elected. There was no public outcry or voter backlash in response to his support of preservation, because most people simply don't care, one way or the other.

Detroiters are concerned with schools, crime, transportation, public services, and job creation, not anti-preservation crusades.

Most people don't care about preservation, but they would much rather see a restored Book-Cadillac or Fort-Shelby than another weed-filled empty lot like the Tuller or Statler.