Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Biggest reason why this seems so fishy... from the Crains article...

{Now, the situation’s changed — the EDC approved the demolition at a cost of no more than $400,000.

And the price of scrap metal continues to fall, Guillebeaux said.

“I’m looking purely at the economics,” he said.}

Does he really think people are that dumb? If they are really looking purely at the economics, wouldn't it make more sense to keep the $400,000 for payment and transfer of the stadium to the conservancy? That is the most they would get for a cleared site for redevelopment anyway. Not to mention there are large sections of land that the DEGC could keep for development proposals [[large rectangular section of land to the north where the left field stands were, and large triangular section at the corner of michigan and trumble.) The DEGC's decision makes no economic sense, especially sense the conservancy is paying for security costs. Also, I would be interested in knowing how many DEGC board members live in the city?

I'm sad about how little the city has listened to the residents of corktown itself. There has always been a resounding unified voice from the community to keep the stadium.

Ultimately we are the ones who are going to have to live with the development whatever it may be and the mayor/EDC/CityCouncil has repeatedly dismissed us for the last several years.

THE LAST thing I need is drunken hockey fans peeing in the empty lot next to me and littering plastic solo cups throughout the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHabitater View Post
    I'm sad about how little the city has listened to the residents of corktown itself. There has always been a resounding unified voice from the community to keep the stadium.

Ultimately we are the ones who are going to have to live with the development whatever it may be and the mayor/EDC/CityCouncil has repeatedly dismissed us for the last several years.

THE LAST thing I need is drunken hockey fans peeing in the empty lot next to me and littering plastic solo cups throughout the neighborhood.

The mayors I can see. But are you being fair to City Council? They've voted in favor of the OTSC every time. As much as we all jump on them we may have to give them a little bit of credit.

Even as far as Mayors go, Kilpatrick and Bing I can see. However, Cockrel Has always been a supporter of the Corktown area and a supporter of the OTSC. Unfortunately, as I've pointed out before on this thread, the OTSC and Cockrel never hooked up and worked out a deal during the time he was the mayor. Oddly enough, the brief time that Cockrel was Mayor, also seemed to be the time were there was the least amount of activity by the Mexicantown/Corktown residents and the OTSC. It appears as though everyone was operating under the assumption that Cockrel would win and everyone had more time.

As far as Illitch taking over. He doesn't own any land around the Stadium, so far, so he may not be looking to put a hockey arena there. He does own almost all of the land around the Fox, and has wanted to put one there. Besides, it would be a bad PR move to piss off the very active residents of the area where you would want to locate your project when you're going to rely on public support to build a new hockey arena.

Of course, that being said and this being Detroit, the City does own a lot of land surrounding the Stadium and could be looking to sell the land to Illitch in the same manner that they sold a lot of the land he owns around the Fox to him. Which was 1.7 million dollars worth of land for 1 measly dollar. And that deal went through none other than the DEGC.