Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default EDC votes to demo Tiger Stadium

Last edited by Lowell; June-05-09 at 02:03 PM.

Good riddance.

I think we know what is coming next, the Lafayette Building. DEGC has NOTHING on the boards and they have to justify their existence so they will start knocking down buildings to make it look like they are actually doing work. Once these buildings are knocked down, expect a vacant lot for the next 20+ years.

Yay! More vacant lots!

What happened to the 4 million that Levin was supposed to give them? 5 will get you 10 that the Tiger Stadium Conservancy Group, I think that's their name, will go back to City Council and ask for another deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    I think we know what is coming next, the Lafayette Building. DEGC has NOTHING on the boards and they have to justify their existence so they will start knocking down buildings to make it look like they are actually doing work. Once these buildings are knocked down, expect a vacant lot for the next 20+ years.
    Amen. Will someone please give George Jackson et al something productive to do?

It was a valiant effort by those trying to save part of the stadium. Unfortunately with the state of our local economy it was nearly hopeless.
    Actually, the Conservancy raised almost all of the money they need. One of the main reasons why they haven't been able to raise even more was that donors were reluctant to give when the City seemed determined to demolish the building no matter what.
    Get rid of it, Id rather look at an empty field than another half torn, totally worn structure/.
    Fine, then you pay for the demolition. I for one am getting tired of the City pissing away large chunks of cash on demolitions like this and then claiming that it's too broke to take care of other things.

I think it would be a huge step forward for Detroit if we made folks who want to demolish historic buildings raise the cash for those demolitions and use our tax dollars for fixing the existing ones up.
    As for your statement about the materials ending in a landfill, that is untrue. Over 94% of Tiger Stadium will end up being recycled.
    That still means that 6% of it will go into a landfill. In contrast, if we allow the Conservancy to do their job and quit drooling at the prospect of demolishing Tiger Stadium then none of the materials go into a landfill.

Fine, then you pay for the demolition. I for one am getting tired of the City pissing away large chunks of cash on demolitions like this and then claiming that it's too broke to take care of other things.

C'mon Frank, you're better than that. IF we believe the City's somewhat dubious numbers, the cost to sit and watch that building rot was about $250,000 per year. Roughly the same to, in the words of the great George Clinton, "Tear The Roof Off The Sucker".

about time, only in detroit would a sports team abandon their stadium and there would be a question about what to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post
    about time, only in detroit would a sports team abandon their stadium and there would be a question about what to do with it.
    Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens, Montreal's Olympic Stadium, and Houston's Astrodome are all former professional venues that are still standing without a professional team occupying them. Not saying they should be standing, but it is definitely not an "only in detroit" issue.
    Last edited by xD_Brklyn; June-02-09 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xD_Brklyn View Post
    Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens, Montreal's Olympic Stadium, and Houston's Astrodome are all former professional venues that are still standing without a professional team occupying them. Not saying they should be standing, but it is definitely not "only in detroit" issue.
    Lets not forget about our very own Pontiac Silverdome.

Good riddance to that eyesore! I can't wait for all the exciting development that will occur there, similar to what is going on next to the White Castle next door and the vacant lots next to the gas station!

They should knock down the MCS first. It is more of an eyesore.

It was a valiant effort by those trying to save part of the stadium. Unfortunately with the state of our local economy it was nearly hopeless. The downside now is that the price of scrap steel has plummeted since the prior demo contract, the work is going to cost the city a lot more this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    It was a valiant effort by those trying to save part of the stadium. Unfortunately with the state of our local economy it was nearly hopeless. The downside now is that the price of scrap steel has plummeted since the prior demo contract, the work is going to cost the city a lot more this time around.
    Hopeless? Saving it with the millions already raised is hopless?.... And demolishing it, costing the city millions of dollars isn't???

You are out of touch my friend.

so let's just leave it alone and save our demo dollars for another day. time for a cleaning out of degc leadership. this is ridiculous.

Personally I am glad its going down, the remains looks ridiculous, there is no money to go ahead with the proposed development and there will be groups for 20 years saying they are planning to restore,, Get rid of it, Id rather look at an empty field than another half torn, totally worn structure/.

What is the point of leaving it standing? A museum that nobody will go to? They could build a building nearby if they wanted to do this. The stadium seating is dangerous and serves no purpose. This failed and halfway demo is one of the more embarrassing things in the city, in my opinion.

And when it is finally razed, and the ball field is open, won't that be best for everyone? At least kids can play on it and nostalgic old folk can wander the same outfield as Ty Cobb... It will surely be better than a 10 foot high construction fence surrounding a halfway demolished stadium that was abandoned 10 years ago.

Terrible! So long Tiger Stadium and thanks are the 90 years of memories. Folks in Corktown may have to deal a big ole' vacant brownfield meant to become a big ole' parking lot for the Tigers, Lions and Red Wings games.

Isn't it hypocritical for someone with the name GREENTROIT, which implies environmentally consciousness to be pro-demolotion where the majority of the building materials will end up in a landfill?

I'm not sure my name implies anything. You are making assumptions.

As for your statement about the materials ending in a landfill, that is untrue. Over 94% of Tiger Stadium will end up being recycled. Concrete will be used as fill material, and steel is cut and melted before being remolded into other products.

http://www.greensportsvenues.com/200...gerstadium.php

Who's job is it to let Martha know??

Blarf Guest

Since I donated money to save it, and it's not being saved, when do I get my money back?

"Tear it down, I'm tired of looking at it, blah, blah, blah."
    What a terrible reason to drive public policy decisions. I'm tired of looking at a lot of things, like Walmarts, chotchy guys with goatees driving SUVs...I could go on all day.
    More than half of downtown Detroit has already been torn down within the past 50 years and at this rate the rest of it will be gone within the next 50. Decisions of public policy in this city need to be looked at in the bigger picture in terms of how it will affect things now and in years to come. Like selling off public parks or dissolving school districst. Issues like this seem to bring out the shallowest of the short-sighted folks. Ever been to Rome? I'm glad they didn't tear down the Colloseum when it was empty and being used as a motel by vagrants and prostitues.

“We’ve made so much progress. … I guess the DECG’s policy is to save the city by demolishing it,” Linn said.

perfect quote. omgggg. this is the status-quo in Detroit and has been for 40 years.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast