Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I love the martini on the Stott building. With the upper tiers of buildings being lit up in Detroit; it is starting to lok like a city that isn't half empty.

I think the Martini on the Stott is really tacky... it looks like a lopsided badly-done strand of christmas lights.

Penobscot lights were back on last night around 11 as I drove into town from work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    I think the Martini on the Stott is really tacky... it looks like a lopsided badly-done strand of christmas lights.

Penobscot lights were back on last night around 11 as I drove into town from work.
    Gsgeorge... have you ever been to New York? Take a drive down 42nd street... you'll see tacky in abundance!

But look at the bright side... having the building lit is better than not having it lit...

I think the Martini on the Stott is really tacky...
    I agree! It looks terrible and it's a shame because the Stott is such a nice building.

50+ years ago my Mom worked at the Penobscot Building. It was a real treat on the occasion that Dad took us with him to pick her up. We were always craning our necks looking up for the red light! Fond memories....

I think it looks pretty retro, circa 1960. I picture Don Draper looking out a window just below with a scotch and soda in hand!

BTW, who is responsible for the Martini anyway?

So, did we ever really find out why the beacon on the Penobscot was off? Was it simply down for repair, or was it at first because of a change in ownership?

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ismoakrack View Post
    Duh. Building occupancy must be considerably down.
    Not in the Guardian. I believe it is considerably up.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The fountain at Campus Martius wasn't running around 4pm this past thursday. I was wonder was the city cutting back on the amount of power it uses to run it. There were paper and other litter in the fountain when it wasn't running. God forbids what it would look like if it was to stop running permanentely.
    Although it would be cool to see God's reaction to such a forbidden act, I am sure there is a cut-off date for running the fountain at Campus Martius. We are in October.

The fountain in Campus Martius seems to always be on. When the christmas tree is put up on top of the foutain, the rolling water on the sides of the fountain still run.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    The fountain in Campus Martius seems to always be on. When the christmas tree is put up on top of the foutain, the rolling water on the sides of the fountain still run.
    I am certain I have seen it off at times, but come to think of it, it has been on in the winter. Perhaps no cut-off dates, just certain times.

Name:  penobscot_noir_COPY-.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  20.7 KB

This is from about 1995 - 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    I am certain I have seen it off at times, but come to think of it, it has been on in the winter. Perhaps no cut-off dates, just certain times.
    Yes, that is what I meant to say. That while I am sure the city shuts the fountain off at times, it tends to be on throughout the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Gsgeorge... have you ever been to New York? Take a drive down 42nd street... you'll see tacky in abundance!

But look at the bright side... having the building lit is better than not having it lit...
    That's for sure. 42nd St. has to be one of the ugliest places in the country. Lively yes, pretty no.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    So, did we ever really find out why the beacon on the Penobscot was off? Was it simply down for repair, or was it at first because of a change in ownership?
    Dexlin, the Penobscot while under receivership was basically in "maintenance mode", but with Capmark, the lender on the building, taking it back this past year, you're seeing resources finally find their way to projects such as the restoration of the marble in the lobby and work on the beacon. I'm hoping to talk to some of the electricians that worked on the restoration work next week - I'll try to get some more specifics.

I do know that a lot of the beacon's restoration work was on the balusters and transformers...

From Crain's Detroit Business, October 21, 2011....

Lighting up the Penobscot

How else to kick off a set of renovations at the Penobscot Building? Light up the iconic red ball on top of the building for one thing.

The ball -- unlit, dim or not working right -- for the last four years, is a symbol of the building, with the new ownership/management team hoping to send a message that things will be better there.

A party is set for Thursday [[the 27th) for the tenants of the building to show off the spruced-up lobby, fully restored elevators and cleaned-up exterior.
    It's also part of the marketing campaign to sell the building by Farmington Hills-based real estate firm Friedman Integrated Real Estate Solutions, which is managing the building for owner/lender, Horsham, Pa.-based Capmark Financial Group.

continued at: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...G08/111029980#

It was a great night... I'll have photos from the night on our Facebook page shortly, but here's the video we made for the event that was playing in the lobby for the ceremony:

Went down to the Wings game last night and the Penobscot looked great with the lights on. Downtown in general looked good. Now we just need to get the Book tower on track.

detroiter79 [[or anyone) do you know the name of the tune featured in the video?

Guideboat,

It's stock music, I'll PM you the info once I'm in the office tomorrow. Can't remember where I purchased it from...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2