Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Occupy Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    it's a ragtag bunch of losers who; for some reason, despite their total disorganization, could destroy our way of life.
    Which is what?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/1...at-MWRO-office

Warren Tea Party president and proud racist Evan Thomas Kuettner was spotted at the Occupy Detroit rally. He had a photographer with him.

Make no mistake, Kuettner's only reason to be there is to take pictures that paint these people in as bad of a light as possible.

Kuettner is also an active racist that the city of Warren refuses to even let get past the primaries even as a measly council district candidate.

Should be interesting what the racist leader of the Warren Tea Party will come up with from his journey.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Which is what?
    A total contradiction in terms?

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferL View Post
    I was neutral enough that I considered going down there at one point. But the more I see and hear from the Occupy movement, the less I like it. The Tea Party had the exact same effect on me.
    Well, I'll just tell you what my mom told me. In 1968, she thought a lot of those kids protesting were awful, un-American, privileged and wrong, wrong, wrong. By 1974, she realized that those kids had been right all along...

Another thing.

About this people's-mic-crowdnet-PA system they've been using: It does add the psychological drama of instantaneous public affirmation but it's totally unnecessary with today's technology. So why do they bother? They're using technology for what it's worth but they're also sending out the preemptive message that they've prepared a communications plan B should the technocracy pull their plug. I sense the influence of Anonymous here.

This has been very shrewdly planned. They have built resilience into their movement. That's not an amateurish act. They're in it for the long haul, I'd say.
    Last edited by Jimaz; October-17-11 at 07:45 PM.

30 years ago, applicable to today

http://youtu.be/RWsx1X8PV_A

What are you talking about?
    I don't want to put words in Jimaz's mouth, but I think she was trying to articulate what Gandhi said more eloquently as:

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win"

I wish these losers would get out of our park. Get a job you assholes!

Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    Just for that I'm taking the day off work and going down there tomorrow.

Occupy Movement explained: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcjeU...&feature=share

I have a hunch that many of the folks on this thread who take pleasure in marginalizing the millions around the world involved in the Occupy protests will be the first ones in the unemployment line with their hands out after Daddy sells the store.

What makes you think that they don't have jobs? Some of them are working at the encampment and then going to work AND school on top of that... and it isn't easy. A lot of these people haven't even really slept because they are working so hard. This is hardly a lazy group of people. This is just a group of people that are passionate about informing the public and making change and if you think that it is easy to do what they are doing, maybe you should try it out for your self and witness it firsthand before talking crap.

I was just on Facebook and saw an announcement that Occupy Detroit needs medical personnel to volunteer at one of their tents. Until now, my feelings about the Occupy movement were sort of neutral. But now they're pssing me me off! Those campers are already eating donated food and sleeping on donated blankets and now they want donated medical care??? If sleeping outdoors in October has given some of them the sniffles, why don't they just go home? I think it is downright shameful for those middle class people to accept freebies when the bottom one percent is a few blocks away in the Cass Corridor.
    What a lot of people don't seem to realize is that they are doing a GREAT DEAL to assist the homeless by feeding them, clothing them, and providing medical assistance. They need help because a lot of people need their help. They are really putting a lot of effort into this.

I don't want to put words in Jimaz's mouth, but I think she
    Jim is a he.

There are two types of people here ,one the folks who understand the protesters. two the folks who never will, arguing is useless .

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Jim is a he.
    And thanks for the Gandhi quote. That is exactly what I meant.

I was just on Facebook and saw an announcement that Occupy Detroit needs medical personnel to volunteer at one of their tents. Until now, my feelings about the Occupy movement were sort of neutral. But now they're pssing me me off! If sleeping outdoors in October has given some of them the sniffles, why don't they just go home?
    Yeah! If something you care strongly about is hard and uncomfortable, why not just quit??? What a bunch of lazy...oh wait.

[[Seriously, who do you think is donating the food, blankets, and medical care? The same people camping out in the park and attending the general assemblies.)

It's *their* park, too. That's how public property works.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    It's *their* park, too. That's how public property works.
    doesn't mean they are allowed to camp in it.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    doesn't mean they are allowed to camp in it.
    They got a 60-day permit. So, yes, if you are a member of the public, and you want to get a 60-day permit to camp in the park, you can do it.

They got a 60-day permit. So, yes, if you are a member of the public, and you want to get a 60-day permit to camp in the park, you can do it.
    It was my understanding that no permit has been issued. In fact they had applied and were refused. Did that change?

on a side note, iirc, last summer there was some heated debate about grilling in GCP. again, iirc, it was soundly and roundly rejected as behavior not appropriate for such a location as GCP. Are you really saying that I should be able to camp there for 60 days if I wanted to, but I can't grill out there?

It was my understanding that no permit has been issued. In fact they had applied and were refused. Did that change?

on a side note, iirc, last summer there was some heated debate about grilling in GCP. again, iirc, it was soundly and roundly rejected as behavior not appropriate for such a location as GCP. Are you really saying that I should be able to camp there for 60 days if I wanted to, but I can't grill out there?
    I heard they have a 60-day permit for what they're doing. I thought it odd, too, because most of these "occupations" are permitless. Anyway, just regurgitating what I heard. I have heard no more on that.

I think your second point may be a fine difference between public space and recreational space. As far as I know, they are allowed to use public space to make a very public point. Not sure what your statement would be if you were poaching brats in beer and then finishing them off over a hardwood-coal fire. I guess if you could think up a convincing political point best made with sausage ...

I heard they have a 60-day permit for what they're doing. I thought it odd, too, because most of these "occupations" are permitless. Anyway, just regurgitating what I heard. I have heard no more on that.

I think your second point may be a fine difference between public space and recreational space. As far as I know, they are allowed to use public space to make a very public point. Not sure what your statement would be if you were poaching brats in beer and then finishing them off over a hardwood-coal fire. I guess if you could think up a convincing political point best made with sausage ...
    Well, on 30 degree nights, it would be a lot nicer than some luke warm top ramen, that is for sure.

Well, on 30 degree nights, it would be a lot nicer than some luke warm top ramen, that is for sure.
    "Well, you see, officer, these Oktoberfest-infused brew brats represent the people. This glowing hardwood-coal fire, carefully pushed off to one side of the grill basin, represents the special interests. Now, this lightly toasted sourdough bun represents ... "

They have a permit, a cordial relationship with the city government never hurt anybody.

The food served is mostly being brought by the Wobbly Kitchen, who cook and feed homeless people regularly. Vegetable soup, rice and beans. They are awesome people, the kind you want as your neighbors.

Please return to sniping at things you don't understand.

ehhh, late to this party -- and --- already have a job. But I'll sign up for this one: Washing your Mom's mouth out with soap for not teaching you better manners.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast