Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Chub View Post
    How about just making guns illegal in Detroit with heavy punishment if found to posses one? I'm talking about everyone, even cops. It would never happen, I know but the thought excites me.

It against state law for any municipality to enact any gun control laws. It has to be done at the state level.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    [B][I]Yes, they did. Please do some further research on the WSU's Center of Urban Studies M.I.M.I.C. demographic maps on Professor Jason Booza's master Thesis on Detroit's ethnic white flight and black growth in Detroit's neighborhoods from 1950s to 2000.
    I don't need to read about anything because I lived there and experienced it firsthand. The realtor's example you cited happened from the 50's through the early 70's, and certainly not at 7 & Gratiot in the late 80', early 90's because we never had thugs riding around our street until they started to move there.

MojoRacer Guest

I have a new zip code to use when the cashier at the store asks for one! I will say 48205 with pride!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I don't need to read about anything because I lived there and experienced it firsthand. The realtor's example you cited happened from the 50's through the early 70's, and certainly not at 7 & Gratiot in the late 80', early 90's because we never had thugs riding around our street until they started to move there.
    I didn't wrote about real estate schemes involving black kids riding their bikes to scare white Detroit in the 1980s. I wrote about real estate schemes during the 1960s as researched. The scheme was over by the mid 1970s pending on HUD investigation. Plus there was black kids riding hired by real estate brokers to ride their bikes in most Detroit neighborhoods to push for suburban occupancy.

There were thugs in your former eastside Detroit neighborhood during the 1980s The black gang called the Best Friends along with " White Boy Rick" were pumping drugs into that area. It quickly dissapeared in the 1990s. Best Friends Gang suddenly vanished after White Boy Rick went to prison.

There was a shooting incident on the corner of Peter Hunt St. up to Conner Rd. and E. Outer Drive and Gratiot Ave. involving Best Friends Gang and Everance Terrance Brown. They also killed his brother Gregory 'Ghost' Brown after his funeral near Harper Rd. and Gratiot Ave in 1986.

The Best Friend's Gang had a special agent named "White Boy Rick". It one time He was with the Curry Brothers when they were childhood friends. He was flowing drugs on Hayes St. from E. 8 Mile Rd to Chalmers St. in 1986. At one time while he was dealing drugs at the corner of Dickerson St. and E. Outer Drive some informants approach him, pulled up and AK-47's. But the guns frozed. White Boy Rick quickly got away. Later he became the whistleblower against the Best Friends Gang, got in the FBI's witness protection program. He testify agaist them and later he too was sent to prison where he remain there to this day. He suppose to get paroled in 2010, but never got through.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET!

You may have grew up in 48205, but I know what's in the ghettoes of Detroit.

Neda, I miss you so.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaddik View Post
    It is with sadness I note that 48205, or as my parents would recall it, Detroit 5, has become the most crime ridden area of Detroit. My grandparents resided on Hazelridge from the mid-1920's to late 1970's. My grandfather was a sergent in the 9th Precinct. He died several months before he was eligible for a pension with the Detroit Police Department. My grandmother never worked, so she never received any social security after his death. I moved from Detroit with my parents in 1976. We grew up behind the Grotto and were members of the Assumption of our Blessed Virgin Mary[[Grotto) parish. I am uncertain if Father Marx or Msgr Sawyer held the post of pastor longer. We grew up with Sunday Mass, followed by a sundae at Alinosi's. Every Saturday night, my aunt and uncle would drive over to the Ramona to pick up Sunday's newspaper. We shopped at Wrigley's until that closed, then Chatham until that closed. My paper route was west of Gratiot to Schoenherr, from Greiner to Linnhurst. I was looking at statistics regarding income, as well as crime. Within a 1 mile radius of Gratiot and Seymour, the average disposable income of the area population is about 250.00 a year. I remember when the Tubby's was called Monte's and Reimer Pharmacy use to deliver. Thomas Wolfe was correct; you can't go home again. I have faith that if a carpenter can rise from the dead, so too can a city. Detroit will never again be what any of us remember, but if we all work hard at resurrecting Detroit, perhaps we will be able to create new neighborhoods with new memories as cherished as the past.

You should see what happen to those homes at Hayes St. from Seymour to E. 7 Mile Rd. 'White Boy Rick' did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    You should see what happen to those homes at Hayes St. from Seymour to E. 7 Mile Rd. 'White Boy Rick' did it.
    There were more factors than White Boy Rick that caused that area to decline.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Problem now is that 48205 is also now home to Detroit's largest share of poor people. So they tend to make it bad for the areas that are still ok and salvageable.
    Many among the very poor. An unhealthy mindset seems to have befallen this area. The thing about it. Even if the economy was firing on all cylinders. Would the area rebound as well?

Buy American Guest

Being poor is no reason to let your home and neighborhood go to $hit. My family was poor, no money, week old food from the grocery store, but we were clean and kept our homes as neat as a pin. You never saw trash, broken windows, cars parked on lawns, overgrown lawns...why you ask...because we took pride in ourselves and our homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Being poor is no reason to let your home and neighborhood go to $hit. My family was poor, no money, week old food from the grocery store, but we were clean and kept our homes as neat as a pin. You never saw trash, broken windows, cars parked on lawns, overgrown lawns...why you ask...because we took pride in ourselves and our homes.

Unfortunately, taking care of your own home will only go so far nowadays. It does nothing for the other houses on the block that have been abandoned and/or burned up. It also doesn't help that the City has not been putting resources into cleaning up the city owned areas, fix the non-working streetlights or turn off the water to abandoned houses were the plumbing has been stripped and the water is flooding the streets at times were it hasn't rained for days or even weeks. And on top of all of that, Mayor Bing's plan is to provide even less services to the area.

At this point it's not even an issue of white flight or black flight. It's an issue of having the means to leave and the common sense to do so. No one with any sense wants to live around that type of shit if they have options.

My family was definitely blue-collar, working class and our neighbor's were lower-middle class. But we all had our pride. We kept our property and houses clean. Maybe we didn't paint the homes every year, maybe we didn't drive the newest cars, or have the latest technology, but we still had pride in our neighborhood.

We still swept our streets along the curb. We still cut the grass in the alleys behind our houses, we still kept an eye on our neighbors who were elderly and needed help, in short, we were an old fashioned neighborhood.

That was until blight, thugs and drugs took over and drove the last of us from the area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2