Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The garage and that part of the structure is already there, so it would save time and money for whoever develops it. I think it's possible that they would have to go back and modify parts of it, but that part is basically already built.

so is it official that the developers have killed the plan to develop the Monroe Block?????

Quote Originally Posted by Junkin4Life View Post
    so is it official that the developers have killed the plan to develop the Monroe Block?????
    A salesperson employed by City Slicker Shoes had informed me that the parking structure that is above the shoe store is outdated and in dire need of repair. The whole block will be razed. City Slicker Shoes is relocating to Greektown on the corner of Monroe and Randolph

That garage is an eye sore, but its better than another vaccant chuck of land in the heart of downtown. I sure hope something is planned for the site!

Default This.^

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Detroitbob sez..... "Target is developing a new concept, "City Target" at the old Carson Pirie Scott Store on State St. in Chicago [[1 So. State) no parking and wide open spaces there. This design is for urban dwellers who either live in or commute into the area. Would work well in downtown or midtown."

Not going to happen in Downtown Detroit. Not in 25 to 45 years. Downtown Detroit need some people walking, eating and shopping around first before some developer want to put a upscale fancy clothier or dept store.
    City Loft would and any prototype upscale retail bazaar experiment would be a great ideal and taking small steps to lure shoppers and develop exotic retail in Downtown Detroit. Putting a Target Store in Downtown Detroit without any people walking around and free parking would be an investment disaster! Small mom and pop shops first, corporate retail later. When Downtown Detroit was being developed after Judge Augustus Woodward, " Pre-Washingtonian" design in early to mid 1800s, mom and pop stores comes first. When Downtown Detroit grew through the age of the automobile, Corporate based retails from J.L. Hudson to S.S. Kresge pop up like mushrooms. So in Downtown Detroit today I see mom and pop retail and few exotic stores and restaurants being developed. and some of them are doing well without a supercenter.
    There's nothing wrong with dreaming. But if the supply and demand isn't there, companies/businesses won't waste their time.

I'm not sure what that proposal for the Monroe Block was supposed to be. I don't think very many people took it seriously when it was announced and since then it's faded away. And wasn't it the Northern Group which was doing it? And since then they've ran all their buildings into the ground and have all kinds of problems now so yeah.

Cadillac Centre [[Monroe Block) has been dead since October 2008. It was indeed the Northern Group that wanted to develop it, and it was no secret about what it was supposed to be. In fact, it was rather detailed. It was a mixed-use proposal with two residential towers atop a retail/office/parking podium. What happened was that it was proposed literally a few months before the economic collapse which ended up killing a lot of big projects in city's all across the country. By the end of 2008, the proposal had gone from a $150 million mixed-use project to something little more than a $40 million parking garage, and the DEGC rightfully said "no dice" to it, especially considerinng what happened to a lot of their other properties, downtown.
    Last edited by Dexlin; November-20-11 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Cadillac Centre [[Monroe Block) has been dead since October 2008. It was indeed the Northern Group that wanted to develop it, and it was no secret about what it was supposed to be. In fact, it was rather detailed. It was a mixed-use proposal with two residential towers atop a retail/office/parking podium. What happened was that it was proposed literally a few months before the economic collapse which ended up killing a lot of big projects in city's all across the country. By the end of 2008, the proposal had gone from a $150 million mixed-use project to something little more than a $40 million parking garage, and the DEGC rightfully said "no dice" to it, especially considerinng what happened to a lot of their other properties, downtown.
    I am glad that Northern Group wasn't able to develope anything in the city. The 2008 economic downturn was a blessing in disguise only in stopping Northern Group from going on with their would had been failed venture. Many people who live in Lafayette Towers would be glad if Northern Group was to release their grip from that apartment complex.

Had a phone conversation about the construction industry back in Detroit with a former colleague and he is working on budget pricing for this site. He mentioned that there would be an additional half dozen or so levels of parking, then would be residential on top of that. Something to the extent of 15-20 stories tall is correct. Would also assume retail on first floor similar to cmpuware and book cadillac garages.

book cadillac garage has retail? 1001 woodward and yes compuware.
    is the national theatre going to survive? is the townsend still involved in this block?
    when will cadillac square apartments get renovated?

The parking garage does indeed have retail space.

http://g.co/maps/zutzd
    http://g.co/maps/7k5nc

Whether or not any of it has been occupied since the timing of these photos, I'm not sure.

I think it's an odd parking garage. All the top levels are valet only parking spots and originally there was plans for condos on top of it. I know parking garages can be ugly, but this one from street level really looks unappealing for retail. And condos on top really wouldn't make it look any better. Just...ugh.

i don't recall even one 'for lease' signs there...why?

I dunno. Could be looking for high-end retail or restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by michigansheik View Post
    i don't recall even one 'for lease' signs there...why?
    Somehow I don't think that big time developers will need to know that it's available... they already do.

As for the National Theatre. My feeling is that if the building does not survive into the future, that the Superbowl funded cleaned facade may survive. While the auditorium of the 900 seat National has plasterwork in very rough shape [[equal to the United Artists).... the building is structurally sound. The city put a new roof over it many years ago [[after the plasterwork was already ruined), and the seats are still intact. Preservation Wayne volunteers removed about 20 tons of fallen plasterwork back in a 2000 weekend cleanup to make the building supposedly easier to market. But it's a long way from the theatre district.. although its' proximity to Campus Martius [[you would think) would be a plus.

Former Exectuive Director of Preservation Wayne Katherine Clarkson mentioned back during the 2000 cleanup that the facade is the jewel of the building, and that if the building could not be saved, the Detroit Historical Commission should push to save the facade [[look how well that's working for the Fine Arts Building up on west Grand Circus Park).

Also, the small outer lobby of the National Theatre is lined with Pewabic Tiles.

I walked by the Book Cadillac retail a week or two back and peered through the glass - there are no floors or finished walls within the retail space; its totally raw.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    The parking garage does indeed have retail space.

http://g.co/maps/zutzd
    http://g.co/maps/7k5nc

Whether or not any of it has been occupied since the timing of these photos, I'm not sure.

I think it's an odd parking garage. All the top levels are valet only parking spots and originally there was plans for condos on top of it. I know parking garages can be ugly, but this one from street level really looks unappealing for retail. And condos on top really wouldn't make it look any better. Just...ugh.
    The structure was poorly designed. Why did the Kilpatrick administration allowed this structure to go up is beyond me. Those pillars are safe havens for the homeless to sleep behind and for somone to hide behind waiting to mug or attack someone walking past there at night.

I'm not sure that it's dark enough for someone hiding there to not be noticed. Michigan Ave is pretty well lit up to Washington. Even so, there's still enough foot traffic for there to be other people on the street to discourage would-be attackers.

However, it's still ugly and compared to other garages with street retail, this one looks horrible. It'd look better if the wall was up to the pillars and had awnings overhead.

I would agree with the assertion that the design is at least unsafe feeling to walk along, if not downright uninviting. The shadows and darkness in the area with the overhang is definitely habitat for homeless or someone who might want to do harm to passersby.

Maybe if/as retail spots go in [[I thought there weren't any either), they will add lighting in the overhang area to brighten things up. I'd have preferred having the windows up to the front of those pillars or at least up to the back of them.

Quote Originally Posted by cramerro View Post
    I would agree with the assertion that the design is at least unsafe feeling to walk along, if not downright uninviting. The shadows and darkness in the area with the overhang is definitely habitat for homeless or someone who might want to do harm to passersby.

Maybe if/as retail spots go in [[I thought there weren't any either), they will add lighting in the overhang area to brighten things up. I'd have preferred having the windows up to the front of those pillars or at least up to the back of them.
    Another hopeful could be that these could become outdoor cafe areas. That would do a lot to address safety issues. In fact the collumns would be a barrier for street folks to hassle folks sitting in the cafe.

Its not like that area had narrow sidewalks to begin with. The pedestrian capacity is not needed.

I saw a property/land surveyor crew at the old Hudson site around noon yesterday.

The were there again tody.

I wonder if something is finally going to be constructed on that site

Maybe they're getting ready to do some more urban garden planting.... maybe the Lafayette location wasn't big enough for Compuware employees....

Hmmm....exciting stuff...

And buy more buildings? Yes, and more. In remarks Thursday to the annual meeting of the Detroit Metro Convention and Visitors Bureau, Gilbert said his real estate company is exploring the prospect of building a 350-unit apartment complex on the Hudson's site just north of Compuware Corp. headquarters, a plan envisioned to include two levels of retail shops, a parking deck and living space above.

"There is a huge need for it," Gilbert said, buttressing his point with the simple fact that occupancy rates for residential rental units in Midtown and downtown are running north of 95 percent. "There's demand for new construction and rehabbing old buildings."

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

One article I read said that Gilbert briefly showed a picture of a proposed building. Did anyone snap a shot of it that they will share with us here?!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast