My brothers and I are planning for the eventual death of our Mom. Mom is 80 and was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease two years ago. Mom has other health problems that are complicated and exacerbated by the Alzheimer's.

Mom has consistently stated that she wishes her body to be cremated after death. Beyond that, Mom has not made any requests about arrangements after her death. To discuss the topic with Mom now is not possible because of Mom's cognitive deficits.

My brothers and I are opposed to the idea of strangers in a funeral home taking care of our Mom's body after she dies. We are also opposed to the idea of a visitation being held someplace other than in the familiar surroundings of Mom's home. Because of that, we are researching the possibilities of after death home care and home visitation.

What are the Michigan laws regarding disposal of cremated remains? Is it lawful to scatter ashes on land or over water? I cannot find any laws in MCL or elsewhere. I have a feeling I'm not looking in the right places.

Thank you!