Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default HELP! I've forgotten how to make a Boston Cooler

Specifically, what is the preportion of ice cream to Vernors? 1 scoop to 12 oz.?

Sorry, the original recipe calls for Stevia as the sweetener, you'll have to lobby whatever large international soda company owns the Vernor's name first.

Depends if you like them thick, then more ice cream. Less ice cream makes for a thinner drink. Damn, you got me wanting one now. I might have to run to the store. Another great drink is Vernors mixed with chocolate syrup. Sounds bad and looks weird but tastes great.

I agree with Downrivera, whatever makes your palate happy. I did a bit of online searching, but everybody seems to have a different idea.

I did run across a Vernors Slurpee at a 7-11 this evening. It was pretty good, but did not want to flow through the straw without practically sucking the wax off the bottom of the cup.

If it has Vernor's in it, why is it called a "Boston" anything?

A true BC has to be made with Strohs vanilla ice cream. Why?

Ah, it is a bit of a tale, but the short version is that it was invented on BOSTON Blvd.

The Sander's stores call them Detroit coolers, but it's the same thing as a Boston Cooler. So Prof. Scott get yourself over to your nearest Sander's store & get a Detroit Cooler!

I have been drinking BC's for many many years especially when Vernor's was on Woodward. But I have never measured the ingredients nor have I ever thought about measuring the ingredients. When DPS kids used to go on field trips the Vernor's plant was on the list. The best part was at the end of the trip we were all given huge souvenir glasses with the Vernor's Gnome to make ourselves BC's that we would eat on the way back.

Here's my recipe, and it's stood the test of over 20 years of delicious summer Boston Cooler drinking:

Two scoops vanilla ice cream in tall glass tumbler
    Fill glass 3/4 way with Vernors
    Stir and drink.
    When glass is half empty, add Vernors to thin or more ice cream to thicken.
    Repeat until you run out of ice cream or Vernors.

Yum. Make sure to go and run 5 or 10k the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    If it has Vernor's in it, why is it called a "Boston" anything?
    Because the Vernors factory was near Boston and Woodward

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    A true BC has to be made with Strohs vanilla ice cream. Why?

Ah, it is a bit of a tale, but the short version is that it was invented on BOSTON Blvd.
    Funny, I was just at the Stroh's in downtown Wyandotte yesterday enjoying a boston cooler! My kids wanted to trade me their ice cream for it, it was that good.

I suggest purchasing a Boston Cooler at the Dairy Freez in North Ridge, Ontario [[just outside of Essex). It would be a way better experience than actually making one yourself [[and yes they use Vernor's).

For awhile in the 70s, Sanders used to make a Vernor's flavored ice cream that my grandmother would use in her Boston Coolers along with the original tickle your nose Vernors pop. It was quite a gingery overload.

Fill a blender up with French Vanilla ice cream. Add enough Vernors to get your desired consistency. Personally, I like 'em thick. I love Boston Coolers....I can drink the blender full in short order.

Try a Boston Creamer too. Pour Vernors in a large glass and add half & half or full cream. NOM NOM NOM.

I think it is best to use the 'densest' ice cream, too. Not the whipped bullshit they pass off as ice CREAM nowadays. There is a figure in the nutrition listing of grams per serving or something like that.

But I'm still waiting for the Vernors people to try their original formula, like Faygo did. It took a moment to catch on, and those folks almost cancelled a great thing, but it got me back to being a Faygo fan.

Vernors would have me back in a MINUTE if they stopped using that High Fructose Corn Syrup poison. Stevia is even legal to use again...it was classified as a medicinal additive by the FDA, after they were bribed by the corn lobbyists in the 80s. Silly shit...

Cheers!

According to the ice cream soda wiki, no one really knows why the Boston Cooler got that name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_...#Boston_cooler

a poor man's boston cooler was just mixing milk with Vernors - it took the tickle out and made the ginger ale go down smoother. I'm old, we didn't always have room in our little freezer for ice cream.

Yes, that's what we had, milk and Vernor's poured into the glass together, that is, both at the same time.

I have to do a Boston Cooler recipe. How about two scoops of Strohs vanilla, Verner's to the top, a stick blender, and Ginger Snanpp's, Like a kick in my froth.

The Boston Cooler inspired my all-time favorite cocktail before I started downing whiskeys on the rocks.

2c. Vernors
    1 1/2 oz. Vanilla Stoli Vodka
    Add ice and stir.

Yum.

Vox Guest

I'm going to try this. Just for fun.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=meP...recipe&f=false

3 1/2 cups water
    4 inch long piece of ginger peeled and chopped
    2 tablespoons vanilla flavoring
    3 teaspoons lemon flavoring
    1/2 teaspoon Stevia powder

See above for the rest of the directions.

i thought a boston cooler was a sex technique.....

Only if you're doing it right.

I agree with the Stroh's ice cream but why not the Sanders vanilla?

BTW, another one of my personal favorites is Faygo cream soda and chocolate syrup, a chocolate soda.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    i thought a boston cooler was a sex technique.....
    Don't make me google that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast