Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

She didn't see the order because she wouldn't open her door.

Giles had to say something to reason not prosecuting her so he agreed that the order wasn't valid because the judge's name was rubber stamped.

lilpup Guest

How about they try to prosecute and she turns to the Feds charging kidnapping?

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    So the state took her from her mother for not giving her this med that the state also did not give her and subsequently declared unnecessary. This case should scare every parent out there

Please cite the source of your stated information. Is this a statement directly from Child Protective Services? There is a lot of clamor in the rag papers like the Michigan Citizen and on the talk shows on this topic but they are always quoting family members and they never independantly verify any of the information or statements by family or friends.
    For example, there is a lot of foolishness about a warrant. There was no warrant because there was no search. There was an order by child protective services and that entity is at the top of the heap for authority to remove a child. Godboldo demanded to see it [[although she certainly had been warned that it was coming) but all hell broke loose before she was given a copy. Then her lawyer and friends like crazy Ron Scott who hates the police started to worry about whether the judge or magistrate's signature was maybe from a rubber stamp -something I imagine has been declared legal just as electronic signatures are legally binding.

All of this is smoke and mirrors from them. Godboldo herself maybe emotionally unstable - it appears so.

There was an article in either the News or the Freep that talked about this specific med that the child was not being given by her mother, which prompted the "warrant", and then that med was discontinued when she was taken into custody. I'll search and see if I can find that article, give me a minute.

There were other meds, of course, because apparently the child has a lot of other issues and medications, but this particular one is the one that the mother was protesting because of psychotic reactions and violent side effects.

The original story was in the freep and it is in archives now, but there are several duplicates of it across the web, with links back to the Freep.

Here's the story, and a link for verification:

Archived text: http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/freep/ac...Apr+14%2C+2011

http://holyhormones.com/sister_song/...eds-right-now/

Officials: Detroit girl taken in standoff doesn’t need meds right now

Posted by Leslie Carol Botha Detroit Free Press

April 13, 2011
    Authorities have determined there is no emergency need for a 13-year-old girl to be on medication, after the girl’s mother was accused of medically neglecting her by not giving her a psychotropic drug.
    The girl has been in state custody since Child Protective Services workers showed up to take her, prompting an hours-long standoff between her mother and police.

Judge Lynne Pierce said during a hearing in Wayne County’s juvenile court Wednesday that a jury trial in the case will begin June 8.

The girl’s mother, Maryanne Godboldo, is accused of firing a gun at officers when CPS came to her Detroit home take her daughter.

Godboldo has said she should have the right to decide treatment for her daughter, whom she was weaning off the drug in favor of holistic methods.
    Though officials said Wednesday that there was no immediate need to give the girl medication, Michigan Assistant Attorney General David Law said he may reintroduce the issue later if the need arises.

“They took her unlawfully,” Godboldo said after Wednesday’s hearing.

Godboldo has said she noticed changes in her daughter’s behavior after a series of immunizations in 2009.
    Mia Wenk, a CPS worker, testified earlier this month that she filed a petition containing multiple allegations of neglect, along with the order to take the child into protective custody, two weeks after she became involved in the case March 10.

An amended version of the petition was submitted to the court earlier this month.

Pierce will rule on emergency motions by defense attorneys on April 22.

Godboldo’s attorney, Wanda Evans, has filed motions to dismiss and to relocate the child from a care facility in Northville, where she has been since shortly after the standoff with police ended March 25.

No attribution for the assertion that "authorities said the girl didn't need medication" in this article. In fact, the family asserted that they had been told by someone unnamed that the girl didn't need those meds. Note that you never read a statement by another, more moderate side or by anyone from CPS - possibly because they are presenting facts in court about her status and responding there about the mother's Overwrought accusations. I don't know, but I do follow Ron Scott and I know that he has venal personal ambition and loves the media spotlight. He attracts mentally-I'll people to his crusades. I know from personal experience. If he's involved and issuing statements as here you better look somewhere else for the true story.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    That's bull or maybe that's how some people live their lives but that's not how most law abiding citizens live. Most people have respect for the law and expect it to work for them, not against them. If this woman had a problem with the social workers or the police there were other ways to handle them. Certainly, by firing a gun in a situation like that would be like igniting a fuse and getting the police in a protection mode and defensive mode. This was a matter of her child's medication....she knew that the social workers were coming because this was an ongoing problem.

Isn't there enough of this shit going on in Detroit already without some mother firing randomly at police? Nice example to set with a bi polar child, too. She's lucky she wasn't shot and that her daughter [[whom she was protecting) wasn't shot as well. Things could have gotten out of hand very quickly and the outcome could have been worse.

This "have gun, will shoot" mentality in Detroit has got to stop but she got away with it. I guess the City of Detroit has turned into the OK Corral in one sense of the word isn't it. Again, she must know someone in high places. Nice example to set!
    Totally agree with you BuyAmerican on this one. Cops knock at the door or pull you over on the freeway, you shut the fuck up and listen. Settle matters the smart way by avoiding any conflict.

Cops knock at the door or pull you over on the freeway, you shut the fuck up and listen. Settle matters the smart way by avoiding any conflict.
    I can't really agree with that. Some cops are just plain bullies and might need to be taken down a notch or two.

If one did to me what I've seen them do to others, I'd own their house, car, dog, and maybe their wife. Just because a cop says so, doesn't make it so.

Aside from all of the hooting and hollering, it appears the state, the cops, the doctors and child services were all wrong here and I imagine the taxpayers will be paying for their mistakes for years to come. I'm sure she'll sue and win.

Next time you wonder why there's a budget shortage and why there isn't money to pay for this or that, remember these bullies with badges that terrorized this mother.

I didn't know it was okay to fire a gun at police when you think they are wrong.

Whether the State or the Police were incorrect, she had no business shooting at police...PERIOD!

She was damned luckey!!!
    Justice, my foot. She should go to jail for shooting at police, period

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Aside from all of the hooting and hollering, it appears the state, the cops, the doctors and child services were all wrong here and I imagine the taxpayers will be paying for their mistakes for years to come. I'm sure she'll sue and win.

Next time you wonder why there's a budget shortage and why there isn't money to pay for this or that, remember these bullies with badges that terrorized this mother.
    If Godbolo sues and wins it will be another miscarriage of justice. You don't fire a gun at police when they come knocking at your door if you don't have anything to hide and you're not doing anything illegal.

Bullies with badges? Come on....instead of police handcuffing criminals these days, the handcuffs are on them. They were called by CPS to help serve a warrant and were fired upon. It's hard for me to believe that many on this forum feel this woman was justified in doing what she did. Is this the mentality that some Detroiters have today....shoot first and explain why later??? I can't believe that she got away with this and is a free woman. She doesn't need to get her daughter back either...her actions put this child in grave danger and taught this unstable girl how to react the next time someone comes knocking at her door. This isn't something she'll forget...and if she is bi-polar or has mental problems, isn't this a good lesson for her from her loving mother?

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    You cannot shoot at police; she should pay a steep penalty for this behavior.

If police enter illegally, you take it up in court.
    The US Constitution protects us from reasonable searches and seizures. The US Consitution also provides us the right to bear arms. So when they illegally tried to seize her daughter she use her right to bear arms.

SHe fired a warning shot against illegal tresspassers.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Totally agree with you BuyAmerican on this one. Cops knock at the door or pull you over on the freeway, you shut the fuck up and listen. Settle matters the smart way by avoiding any conflict.
    Why not just scrap the entire US Constitution?
    LET's MAKE OBAMA OUR RULING DICTATOR.
    Outlaw abortion.
    Outlaw guns.
    MAke Christanity a a state-run religon.
    ELiminate the armed forces.
    ELiminate a woman's right to vote.

Obviously, some people do not believe that we should Constitutional rights.

Police also have to follow the rule of law and the Constitution. This is America and not Iran.

They were called by CPS to help serve a warrant ...
    This is not a case CPS should have been involved in at all. This is not a case where the kid was being abused, assaulted, deliberately starved, pimped out, made to sell drugs or anything else. The mother disagreed with the doctor's treatment plan -- well within her rights. She claimed the meds made the kid sick due to side effects. Lots of people have adverse side effects and stop taking meds, or try something else.

Police never should have been involved in this either. At the most, this was a civil matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara_10 View Post
    Justice, my foot. She should go to jail for shooting at police, period
    There was no proof that she fired a shot. CIvilian witnesses indicate that Marianne did not fire a shot. NO bullet was found...therefore she goes free.

Innocent until proven guilty.
    Burden of proof belongs to the prosecuters.
    Therefore, justice prevails. SHe is a free woman.

Giles decision did not include a statement as to whether or not a shot was fired from the home so History's conclusion is not from the facts at all. Giles threw it out because he didn't like the procedure that the juvenile court has for allowing a stamped signature on CPS orders to remove a child. We shall just have to wait to see what the prosecutor does if indeed her office does appeal Giles.

If we can't protect ourselves against illegal intruders, we don't have much freedom left.

While part of me is glad there are so many people willing to wholly submit to authority, history and experience has taught me that cops aren't always right.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    If we can't protect ourselves against illegal intruders, we don't have much freedom left.

While part of me is glad there are so many people willing to wholly submit to authority, history and experience has taught me that cops aren't always right.
    You are right, police are wrong on occasion...but that still doesn't allow you to fire at them from your home when they are at your door, that is asking for disaster. There are other, reasonable, lawful ways to handle a situation that you feel is unjust. The police were not "illegal intruders", they were doing a job that they have been sworn to do and some innocent policeman/policewoman could have lost their life in this process. I have a gun, have a carry permit, but if I thought a traffic officer was stopping me "unjustly", does that give me the right to take my gun out and shoot at him? Absolutely not!
    Too many people, especially in Detroit, feel that the gun is the answer. Apparently, Godbolo felt that the gun was her answer. Those CPS people weren't there on a whim, they were there because they were convinced that she wasn't taking care of her child properly...CPS just doesn't show up at people's homes every day,..there had to be a lot of paperwork and doctors orders for them to do that. Godbolo shot a gun inside her home, with the young, mentally ill girl right next to her. What kind of example does that set?
    I can't believe there has been a two page discussion about this in the first place. She was wrong, she needs to be in jail, her daughter needs to be cared for properly...end of story. Of course, I'm sure Godbolo now feels that there are some deep pockets somewhere out there and she's entitled to a big payoff from someone, and unfortunately, she'll probably get it...at all of our expense.

You are right, police are wrong on occasion...but that still doesn't allow you to fire at them from your home when they are at your door, that is asking for disaster. There are other, reasonable, lawful ways to handle a situation that you feel is unjust. The police were not "illegal intruders", they were doing a job that they have been sworn to do and some innocent policeman/policewoman could have lost their life in this process. I have a gun, have a carry permit, but if I thought a traffic officer was stopping me "unjustly", does that give me the right to take my gun out and shoot at him? Absolutely not!
    Too many people, especially in Detroit, feel that the gun is the answer. Apparently, Godbolo felt that the gun was her answer. Those CPS people weren't there on a whim, they were there because they were convinced that she wasn't taking care of her child properly...CPS just doesn't show up at people's homes every day,..there had to be a lot of paperwork and doctors orders for them to do that. Godbolo shot a gun inside her home, with the young, mentally ill girl right next to her. What kind of example does that set?
    I can't believe there has been a two page discussion about this in the first place. She was wrong, she needs to be in jail, her daughter needs to be cared for properly...end of story. Of course, I'm sure Godbolo now feels that there are some deep pockets somewhere out there and she's entitled to a big payoff from someone, and unfortunately, she'll probably get it...at all of our expense.
    I feel that there's a difference between wrongly being stopped for a traffic violation and having multiple armed men attempting to break into my home.

If this was a legal and just situation, why did the judge disagree?

Obviously this isn't the "end of story".

During these SWAT-type raids, the identities of the officers involved is usually hidden by masks. Their affiliation by department and jurisdiction is often covered as well. The one raid I saw staged and launched near MLK and Cass one day had some fully uniformed officers, the State boys for sure...but the trend of black-suited non-identified officers in full riot gear with military weaponry is a dangerous one.

You must ask why they were called in against a mother with a dispute over what medication her daughter was being 'forced' to take...or even those protesters over at the academy for girls. At what point is a protest a riot, and how often do the authorities have to be busted infiltrating with their own 'agents provocateurs' who actually INCITE the violence the rest of the thugs then end up trouncing?! It is all too common, and if you don't notice it you are not paying attention!

Nah, it is time to reign all of this in...if some carry a hammer, the whole world begins to look like a nail. There is no reason for regular child protective services to ever get into this situation, ever. If there is true endangerment, there are many other venues for solution other than a full-bore raid.

Sincerely,
    John

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    I feel that there's a difference between wrongly being stopped for a traffic violation and having multiple armed men attempting to break into my home.

If this was a legal and just situation, why did the judge disagree?

Obviously this isn't the "end of story".
    From what I've read, the officers were not trying to break into her home. The officers were only called AFTER Godbolo fired a shot when CPS workers were at her door. The SWAT team never broke her door down....they stayed outside her home for 10 hours or more trying to negociate a safe end to her standoff.
    As far as I'm concerned, if people feel she was justified in firing her weapon at anyone from inside the house because she felt she was right, they are wrong. And, the traffic stop scenario is the same thing except you're in your personal car, not home. If a car like mine was used in a bank hold-up and the police stopped me because they thought I was a suspect, came at my car, guns drawn....wouldn't that give me the right to shoot back if I knew they were wrong? Or wouldn't it be better to raise my hands, cooperate with the police, do whatever they asked of me; then. when the time was right, take care of this injustice through courts and legal proceedings. Using a gun against the police isn't a good idea.

From what I've read, the officers were not trying to break into her home. The officers were only called AFTER Godbolo fired a shot when CPS workers were at her door.
    A while back you were fussing about her firing at officers. Now you say she fired at CPS workers who really have no authority at all.

From what I've read, the officers were not trying to break into her home. The officers were only called AFTER Godbolo fired a shot when CPS workers were at her door. The SWAT team never broke her door down....they stayed outside her home for 10 hours or more trying to negociate a safe end to her standoff.
    As far as I'm concerned, if people feel she was justified in firing her weapon at anyone from inside the house because she felt she was right, they are wrong. And, the traffic stop scenario is the same thing except you're in your personal car, not home. If a car like mine was used in a bank hold-up and the police stopped me because they thought I was a suspect, came at my car, guns drawn....wouldn't that give me the right to shoot back if I knew they were wrong? Or wouldn't it be better to raise my hands, cooperate with the police, do whatever they asked of me; then. when the time was right, take care of this injustice through courts and legal proceedings. Using a gun against the police isn't a good idea.
    How many shots do you think she fired?

CPS has tremendous authority! Just see whatever would happen to you if someone [[a teacher or neighbor) reported you to CPS as having a child in an abusive situation. The child is immediately removed and YOU have to prove that you are innocent and/or the situation does not exist. You will have to hire a lawyer. You may have to miss work. You may have to suspend your life - nothing matters to the state except the safety of the child. CPS orders are backed by a Judge and a court.
    In this Godboldo case, a Judge did back the order as a procedural matter - but Giles has trouble with using a form order rubber-stamped. That is the policy of the Judge who handles these juvenile matters that Giles protests. Possibly the Judge under whose signature the order was issued will re-think a new procedure.

But truly, if that form had been personally signed by a Judge, Godboldo was going to go off. If she had opened the door and seen a perfectly-signed order, she was going to refuse. Giles let her off on a technicality that her lawyers found and you have to understand that Godboldo and her vocal supporters are his constituancy and electorate. He was probably happy to have that technicality surface.

If it goes higher, we'll see.

But no one is saying that CPS doesn't have authority to remove a child.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    A while back you were fussing about her firing at officers. Now you say she fired at CPS workers who really have no authority at all.
    The above is a very petty statement.

It doesn't matter WHO she fired the gun at does it...the outcome could have been the same, a dead CPS worker or a dead police officer.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    How about they try to prosecute and she turns to the Feds charging kidnapping?

Funny you mentioned this. Girrrl, have I got a link for you:

http://legallykidnapped.blogspot.com/

I have been twisting around in my mind a way to post about this without writing a 10 page essay, but I can't. So I'm going to direct those who are genuinely interested in child welfare to google the only nationally recognized child welfare expert, at beverlytran.com.

Child welfare is the largest industry in Michigan, larger than automotive. The state pulls in literally BILLIONS of Medicaid dollars under the guise of protecting your children, and that is because there is no cap on funding and no oversight on how it's spent.

Mrs. Godboldo has just one of thousands of families that have been torn to shreds so that others could profit. But she is also one who decided that her family wouldn't be one of the victims, even if that meant risking her life.

Her childs life was put in harms way by the dozens of cops with automatic weapons who had every intention of performing a full blown raid before the sergeant in charge got a phone call from Judge Cynthia Stevens telling him to back off, after she questioned the legality of the warrant.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; August-31-11 at 06:15 PM. Reason: sp

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast