Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Who's going to the Music Model D Speaker Series 8/25/2011?!

http://www.modeldmedia.com/features/...series811.aspx

This looks interesting...but as usual, it seems, not comprehensive enough to fully encapsulate the entire Detroit Music Scene. Similar to the music sector thinktank group from three years ago, they want to figure it out though. That other one leaned too heavily on academics, and had two heavy-hitting entertainment attorneys with a vested interest in maintaining the ugly corporate status quo.

It is curious to see who they've put on the panel...and what the stated aims are for this talk. The below is copied directly from their page.

Sam Fotias, Paxahau; Piper Carter, The Foundation of 5e Gallery; Paul "P.J." Ryder, PJ's Lager House; Nadir Omowale, Distorted Soul; Carleton Gholz, H.E.A.R. Detroit; Dave Feeny, Tempermill; and Josh Epstein from Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. The discussion is moderated by Jon Moshier, host of Modern Music on WDET
    Join us Aug. 25 for a talk about the state of the local music industry. What's the Detroit sound right now? How has the scene changed over the last decade? What is music's role in our local economy and cultural tourism? Detroit hosts a lot of big music events -- Movement, Blowout, Jazz Fest -- but is it sustainable for musicians to perform and live here year-round? How do we build a stronger infrastructure to promote and support local talent?
    I've seen too many of my artist friends suffer in a hand-to-mouth struggle...some getting sick and a few dying due a lack of proper health care. Too many of the venues have horrible acoustics and/or sound gear...and even the ones that have both, their sound quality is usually lacking. There is no reason why Detroit couldn't have the same tourist draw as New Orleans around the diversity of our music creativity and collaboration amongst genres that can happen in no other place in the world.

The pieces are slowly coming together...see y'all tonight, we'll see if we can do any good!

Cheers,
    John

It was a decent turnout for this discussion group...and while we certainly didn't come to any conclusions...the dialogue seemed to spark a few new friendships...and furthered the collaboration which I feel is the true basis of the brilliance of Detroit Music.

Huge props to Jon Mosier for handling the MC duties, and keeping the panelists in line. I keed, I keed...there were no negatives during this wonderful Model D sponsored talk.

Tomorrow, I'll try to assemble my notes and post anything remarkable. Right now, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the night at the new uDetroit Cafe. That place has more than a hint of promise to fulfill their founder's desire to create a focus for the creative genuii of this city.

Caught a number of acts, but the main event for me was a short burst of Sartori Circus. I was chatting up a young hip-hop/rap artist and his producer, and we were all caught without breath during his first piece. I thought it was the perfect Detroit music experience...the artist immediately began considering some form of dual performance...not only crossing genres, but perhaps creating an entirely new one.

This is why I so fully believe that the future of this city belongs to the arts...and the farmers. They truly tickle my soul.

Cheers!