Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I hear you. I'm not sure what they do or don't care about. What I do know is that there is a contingent of cops that liase with DTE to look for electricity theft. What's to say they don't look for unusual energy usage, especially when it's for such a large amount?

While theft may not have been happening in this case, having a building of that size with what I'm sure was a bill in the 15K range, at least, is going to get you on the radar.

Yes it's all true. Detroit Police bust what is called a "Pot Growing Factory" inside a 4 story old manufacturing building in Detroit's lower east side. It's the largest marijauna factory in all of Metro-Detroit. Police so far arrested 5 people in the operation. The Marijuana grown in 4 story factory is would a street value of 10 million dollars.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET!

Where its easier to grow pot in the ghetto before you all get caught more harder

Neda, I miss you so.

Mayor Bing had a smirk on his face during the whole interview. He knew this bust would do nothing to stop people smoking, buying, wanting marijuana. He probably burns a fat one every once in a while himself. I don't mind him being at the bust at all. If I were mayor I'd be there too, with a big smirk on my face as well.

There are no three or four story buildings at Chene and Mack...but there was some camera mounted, I thought...perhaps they are scouring the mourners for potential new leads.

Oh shit...another list I'm on now.

Steve bennet Guest

I have always wondered if the cops/agents who are busting these pot farms have a voice in the back of their head saying "this is really stupid and a complete waste of my time. I'd much rather be doing something productive with these resources and my life."

The city of Detroit needs downtown to turn around and thrive for anything good to happen here. One of the major complaints during the past couple years has been the club disturbances/violence, which isn't good for attracting residents and investors.

Instead of busting pot farms, why aren't these police officers planted outside of these clubs downtown that have a reputation of alcohol-fueled violence?

Steve, because now the police can auction off all the equipment and make
    A good chunk of cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    What a waste of resources. When the city finds something legit to bust thats when I want to see him gloat. Ive got nothing against Bing but damn. That op probably brought in millions of dollars to the city to be spent on electricty, water, growing supplies not to mention taking care of a building.

I knew this building before it was sold to the apparent growers and it was kickass, hydronic heating in the floors, wide open loft space, elevator, all mechanical gate and garage door, it was my Barbie Dream House.

So what? I don't think it's a waste of resources. The building can still make money for the city legitimately. The bust brings money to the city and the sale of the building brings money to city. I'm sure these illegal operations aren't paying income taxes. A legitimate operation would. Turning a blind eye to these operations also does nothing to lower the crime rate. And, like the video said, this bust will also provide a lot of leads, which will ultimately help to lower Detroit's high crime rate.

Hopefully, the building is properly secured so that scrappers don't get in there and it can be auctioned off or there's a request for proposal to put some urban farmers or florists in there who can grow legitimate crops like hydroponic roses, flowers or lettuce instead of it getting stripped and knocked down like the old Cass Tech. As long as there are weddings, funerals, and special occasions, there's always a demand for expensive flowers.

If you don't like the laws, contact your congressman. But, I don't see any waste of public funds here and I just don't see how this bust will make the city any worse off.

More on this bust today in Detroit News.

http://detnews.com/article/20110826/...and-speculator

I doubt the guy was paying for his utilities, paying taxes, etc. He's the subject of a property tax expose earlier this year.

And there's this odd tax entry for that site . Could the annual tax bill have been just a hundred dollars [[or is this some remmnant that he didn't pay?:
    Municipality Parcel ID Property Type 01 - DETROIT 09003863. REAL Property Address 3631 CHENE, 48207 Taxpayer[[s) TATARIAN, MATTHEW M HANKS, GERALDINE Tax YearTax Interest
    & Fees
    Amt. Due Status 2009 $103.02 $247.93 $350.95 FORFEITED TOTAL TAX AMOUNT DUE
    if paid on or before 8/31/2011
    $350.95 ADDITIONAL TAXES OR ADJUSTMENTS MAY BE DUE FOR THE CURRENT YEAR. PROPERTY TAX INFORMATION IS VALID AS OF BUSINESS DAY 8/25/2011. PER OUR RECORDS THERE ARE NO OTHER OUTSTANDING DELINQUENT TAXES FOR
    THIS PARCEL.
    Last edited by SWMAP; August-26-11 at 09:18 AM.

More jobs lost to Mexico. Fucking idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    So what? I don't think it's a waste of resources. The building can still make money for the city legitimately. The bust brings money to the city and the sale of the building brings money to city. I'm sure these illegal operations aren't paying income taxes. A legitimate operation would. Turning a blind eye to these operations also does nothing to lower the crime rate. And, like the video said, this bust will also provide a lot of leads, which will ultimately help to lower Detroit's high crime rate.

Hopefully, the building is properly secured so that scrappers don't get in there and it can be auctioned off or there's a request for proposal to put some urban farmers or florists in there who can grow legitimate crops like hydroponic roses, flowers or lettuce instead of it getting stripped and knocked down like the old Cass Tech. As long as there are weddings, funerals, and special occasions, there's always a demand for expensive flowers.

If you don't like the laws, contact your congressman. But, I don't see any waste of public funds here and I just don't see how this bust will make the city any worse off.
    It is a waste of resources when there's so much violent crime going on. I am saying it's not illegal, but I don't think this bust is going to lower the crime rate in the city at all. As reported, most of these people didn't live in the city.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    It is a waste of resources when there's so much violent crime going on. I am saying it's not illegal, but I don't think this bust is going to lower the crime rate in the city at all. As reported, most of these people didn't live in the city.

I'm not talking about you, Islandman, but sometimes I question the motives of some when it comes to the "legalize drugs" crowd.

Anyway, it appears that this MAY become much bigger than just a drug bust:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...and-speculator

[[Ooops, sorry SWMAP.)
    Last edited by bartock; August-26-11 at 11:08 AM.

Understood. My thing is this is what the DEA is for. While yes, I'd rather it be legal, I think our local resources [[DPD, WCS) would be better utilized elsewhere, and that this is a purely political motive. While I'm sure a lot of dominoes will fall due to this, there are plenty more.

I wonder if they are going to allocate more resources to check all of this guy's properties, him being the third largest property owner in the city and all.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Understood. My thing is this is what the DEA is for. While yes, I'd rather it be legal, I think our local resources [[DPD, WCS) would be better utilized elsewhere, and that this is a purely political motive. While I'm sure a lot of dominoes will fall due to this, there are plenty more.

I wonder if they are going to allocate more resources to check all of this guy's properties, him being the third largest property owner in the city and all.
    The whole thing was rather Elliot Ness-ish.

Drugs/blight/crime, crime/blight/drugs, blight/crime/drugs; I'd bet that if the city would put more into the blight and absentee owners, it would improve the other two issues.

Possibly this was an action against a known blight producer. Maybe they went after that land speculator big-time as soon as they something to hang their hat on that would bring him down.

Steve bennet Guest

But, I don't see any waste of public funds here and I just don't see how this bust will make the city any worse off.
    I don't see how this bust will make the city any better.

With all the violent crime in the city and unsolved murders, you seriously don't think that using police to bust people for growing plants in a waste of funds and resources?

Since the most medical marijuana stores are closing down due to lack of showing their licenses, setting up more pot factories illegally will be the next trend. Back in 60s to 90s marijuana was just in the illegal trade and traffic from cartels of Pan-America to the U.S. now everyone can grow pot from their very own home. We have tried to legalize pot for over 50 years but lawmakers refused because marijuana can leave people stoned for life and sucking up money from insurance companies and corporations.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

You can thank the hippie movement for making pot available to anyone who loves to smoke and get high.

Neda, I miss you so.
    Last edited by Danny; August-26-11 at 02:11 PM.

I thank my hippie ancestors every chance I get.

Danny, sometimes I think you actually make this stuff up as you go along.

Do you honestly believe what you said here?!!!

We have tried to legalize pot for over 50 years but lawmakers refused because marijuana can leave people stoned for life and sucking up money from insurance companies and corporations.
    I've really TRIED to be 'stoned for life', and I suck up nothing from any insurance company or other corporation...or even the government, for gosh sakes.

Some of the most successful people I've ever known are at the very least cannabis-friendly...and many are regular users. Even the first person to ever pass me a joint went on to a fine career in the NFL.

You believe way too many of the lies they feed you. While I most often respect and occasionally fear your stance on some issues...while being bewildered by others, including this obsession with Neda Soltan...whom I'm quite sure you've never met, so I cannot imagine how and why you miss her...this one regarding cannabis is simply too much for me to bear.

Please, take off your blinders...you are saying God made a mistake by letting this herb grow ubiquitously everywhere on the Earth.

Cheers, anyways,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; August-26-11 at 02:31 PM. Reason: (spelled Neda's last name incorrectly)

Sure the building can still make money but I doubt it, not 18 million in two years anyway. How much of that 18 mill was spent here in the city? Dont get me wrong, Id rather see small mom and pop type grow ops rather than this big greed type operation but still I find it a waste of time.
    I rode by today and found about a dozen cop cars and city vehicles, all of whom could be out fighting violent crime. BTW, what crime are you talking about? Legit crime or BS crime like growing pot?

This bust was a waste of public resources like I said. Id rather see those cops out on the street tracking down who broke into my Ex's house the past three times, or who the hell cut up my friends in the Corridor last month.

Keeping drugs illegal just keeps their sale dangerous when it could be regulated. I mentioned in another thread this month about the two kids I know that were shot in the face and killed, one of them 16 yrs old because they were selling dope out of a house the next block over. My point is, more ppl die over drugs than by drugs.

They knew they should have turned a blind eye but they couldnt help themselves from getting in the spotlight.

Did the barbershop next door have any problems with them? I highly doubt it, and they didnt mention any.

Its not clear yet if this was a legal grow which dealt with dispensaries or not, but if it was they would be paying taxes. I am curious to know how the electric bill was dealt with. If they stole the electric they should be charged with doing so.
    As far as contacting my congressman, I do, I do a lot more than that when it comes to fighting the war on drugs.

Steve bennet Guest

Gannon, I think Danny is confusing marijuana with alcohol.

All the burnt-out bloated lazy worthless losers I know are alcoholics, not potheads.

Gannon sez... "Please, take off your blinders...you are saying God made a mistake by letting this herb grow ubiquitously everywhere on the Earth."

God did not make mistakes of his creation. When the knowledge of good and evil posseses into makind [[as sin), the matter of making choices whether we can pure or poison ourselves comes to being.

People from long ago and today who smoke weed and do other drugs to get high is their choice of their own free will. There will be a consequence after those choices. Therefore we can do whatever we want until the end of the world. Human beings can love, hate, do good, do evil, put clean things or dirty things into bodies and like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve bennet View Post
    Gannon, I think Danny is confusing marijuana with alcohol.

All the burnt-out bloated lazy worthless losers I know are alcoholics, not potheads.
    Anyone who takes poison will be poisoned. I don't care it's pot, PCP, crack, heroine, alcohol or LSD!

Danny, Really?

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Gannon sez... "Please, take off your blinders...you are saying God made a mistake by letting this herb grow ubiquitously everywhere on the Earth."

God did not make mistakes of his creation. When the knowledge of good and evil posseses into makind [[as sin), the matter of making choices whether we can pure or poison ourselves comes to being.

People from long ago and today who smoke weed and do other drugs to get high is their choice of their own free will. There will be a consequence after those choices. Therefore we can do whatever we want until the end of the world. Human beings can love, hate, do good, do evil, put clean things or dirty things into bodies and like it.

Of course, you are assuming that pot is an "evil choice". I think you could not be more wrong.
    I do agree that you need to remove your blinders - on a variety of subjects.

Steve bennet Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Anyone who takes poison will be poisoned. I don't care it's pot, PCP, crack, heroine, alcohol or LSD!
    Well good. Putting poison into my body is fun and it makes me feel good. What's your point?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve bennet View Post
    Well good. Putting poison into my body is fun and it makes me feel good. What's your point?
    And I enjoy coffee, chocolate and McDonalds sometimes, all poison. Am I goin to hell with you Steve?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast