Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Does it ever occur to anyone when you're asked for a few dollars [[for dope or booze), that these folks forget to ask if you know of any jobs? If I was out on the street, I'd be looking for a job, first and foremost priority.

I'm all for helping someone, but not those who do not wish to help themselves.

Days of the helpless homeless are gone
    Not really. I think most of the long term homeless have mental illness, some kind of addiction or both. It's not so simple to say "they should do this or that" with no treatment for the underlying problems.

You know what would be a good thread? "What would you do if you were homeless?"

Or

"What are you doing now that your homeless?"

I want those people who commented on my post to view this thread:

http://detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=1892

Things are not always the way they seem!

-Tahleel

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Sad really that you have no heart to share with the down and out homeless. Sadder even, that you are doing so well but can't even spell. Go figure. Ignorance, must indeed be bliss
    Sumas,

I feel like this is a personal attack. But since you chose to say that, I must say this.

In your earlier post, you misspelled one word wrong in a 190-word comment. This means that you spelled 0.5% of the words wrong.

In my post, I misspelled three words wrong in a 419-word comment. This means that I spelled 0.7% of the words wrong.

Both you and I misspelled less than 1% of words. Scientifically and statistically speaking [[significant figures), you and I misspelled the same amount of words wrong. Thus concluding if I need a dictionary like you so eloquently said, you need one too, sir!

Not trying to make this a personal attack. I'll let the numbers speak for themselves.

-Tahleel

Bobl,
    I will reply to your comment:

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    T:
    Your post: "...Now, more than ever, it has been easier for people to find jobs..."
    amused me. Anecdotal entries are easier to submit than factual arguments, so I will ignore the unemployment statistics and the state of the economy, both of which can be quantified, and offer an anecdotal rebuttal:
    Bobl,
    I was not referring to the statistics. I was referring to the availability of access to job databases. 10-15 years ago, if you wanted a job, you bought a newspaper and looked for one. Now, anyone can go to the library, Michigan Works, or any public computer terminal for that matter, and go to sites such as Michigan Talent Bank, Monster, Hotjobs and etc.

It took me many months to find employment. Found a job recently that pays about what I made 25 years ago. If I did not have the good fortune to have been able to save a "crisis fund", and have good health, I might be homeless, like thousands of others.
    In the past, it never took me more than a few weeks to find employment. In my most pessimistic assumptions, I never thought that it would be as difficult as it was to find employment this year. Several friends are in a similar situation.
    Bobl,
    Do you not agree that because YOU created a rainy-day fund, you were able to survive the storm? YOU took the initiative to help YOURSELF out! You proved my point, "if you cannot help yourself out, I surely cannot do it for you." Or as the old saying goes, "you can take the horse to the water, but you cannot make him [[or her) drink!"

Your attitude toward those less fortunate than yourself is not at all amusing, though. Real people are suffering real hardship. It does not require a lot of effort to show a little respect for people. Get off your high horse, and purchase a dictionary!
    Bobl,
    Why don't you take some time and read this thread I wrote. Maybe it will change your mind.

http://detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=1892

-Tahleel

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Does it ever occur to anyone when you're asked for a few dollars [[for dope or booze), that these folks forget to ask if you know of any jobs? If I was out on the street, I'd be looking for a job, first and foremost priority.

I'm all for helping someone, but not those who do not wish to help themselves.
    I completely agree with you Sstashmoo.

I was leaving my old apartment one day. It was by a party store that the homeless like to hang around. A person was walking by, and asked the person for money. The person turned around and said, "If you didn't want something from me, would you have talked to me?"

Just some food for thought.

-Tahleel
    Last edited by tahleel; July-28-09 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tahleel View Post
    Sumas,

I feel like this is a personal attack. But since you chose to say that, I must say this.

In your earlier post, you misspelled one word wrong in a 190-word comment. This means that you spelled 0.5% of the words wrong.

In my post, I misspelled three words wrong in a 419-word comment. This means that I spelled 0.7% of the words wrong.

Both you and I misspelled less than 1% of words. Scientifically and statistically speaking [[significant figures), you and I misspelled the same amount of words wrong. Thus concluding if I need a dictionary like you so eloquently said, you need one too, sir!

Not trying to make this a personal attack. I'll let the numbers speak for themselves.

-Tahleel
    that was a mighty shutdown, Tahleel. LOL!

Ravine Guest

This is like the Anti-Perfect thread for DetroitYes!, because the entire subject of "homeless citizens" is one which should be treated with recognition of the truth that we should not judge people about whom we know nothing.

Fat chance of that, here.

Sorry you need to recalculate your figures. I had one spelling error, one failure to capitalize and one repeated word.

At issue here, is not egos but stark reality. As we speak our friend is now hospitalized. He hasn't had access to health care. He has high blood pressure and no meds for over a year. He fainted and fell down a long flight of stairs. He has bleeding on the brain but they can't operate until his blood pressure is under control.

Tahleel,

I read your story on the other thread. You have accomplished quite a bit and to a degree have the right to be proud of yourself. But do not try for even a fraction of a second to pretend you can even begin to understand the circumstances that can lead someone to become homeless.

I can agree with you that there are many more opportunities today to look for work. There are also many educational options available. But I know two people, friends of mine, who if it were not for help from their families, could end up homeless. Both of these people have been actively looking for work for nearly a year. They do not qualify for the educational grants because they have degrees in a field where supposedly jobs are available. They cannot use those grants to 'retrain' themselves in a more lucrative field. Even if they took minimum wage jobs, they still would not be able to pay all of their bills for the basic necessities. These are healthy, intelligent, able-bodied people. What if their families were not able to help them? Or, suppose they had some issues, health or whatever. Do you suppose they can just walk into the SS office and claim a disability and 'poof' a check would appear?

Gosh, I'm glad I don't live in your glass house.

Please excuse any spelling or grammar errors as I am writing this in a very emotional state and can barely see straight much less process the fundemental language skills.
    Last edited by Maxine1958; August-04-09 at 06:33 PM.

Maxine, Thanks for helping me put a new face on homelessness. I am truely sorry about your friends and glad they have a family support network. Even if one looks at the traditional perception of the homeless [[drunks and drug addicts) so many are Vietnam Vets and our society ignored their needs too.

The old adage, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, holds so true. Had any of our friends health issues been addressed this accident would not have occurred. He has now been close to a month in the hospital at a hugh cost and the hospital has no way to recapture these costs. This is a hugh problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2