Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I drove by the building this morning to see one of the painted windows on the facade removed and work going on outside. I was hoping they would remove those and replace with windows like it was when it originally opened. I will try and get some photos this weekend.

They have it covered up with plywood but here is a picture...

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 2029
Size:  32.7 KB

Detroitnerd/ What? No jokes about "Eat here. Get gas."?

Eat here. Get Gas.

There's a great example of a successful restaurant in this type of space in the Bucktown neighborhood of Chicago called Big Star. Now, it's near a very busy and foot-traffic dense intersection, but it's definitely unique. I think it excels at being very minimalist, as opposed to some of the auto-themed spots referenced earlier in the thread. Great indoor/outdoor space, very group-friendly, and good food as well. Here are some pics, the one being the original building...Name:  3850126497_00cbd01314.jpg
Views: 1992
Size:  17.2 KBName:  photo[[13).jpg
Views: 1892
Size:  35.5 KBName:  bigstar.jpg
Views: 2247
Size:  72.0 KBName:  20091116_chicago_bigstar_sj11.jpg
Views: 2985
Size:  28.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mmmm big star.....

The front windows are in and they were "sanding" down the concrete floors this past week.

There is a new car show on Velocity Channel called
    "Autoweeks Vinsetta Gararge" linked to this.

www.vinsetta.com

Paint is being taken off the building exposing the brick. And they have been hiring for the past couple weeks. It looks like they turned a garage in the back into the actual kitchen?? Can't confirm that but the few times I have walked by there are massive exhaust fans and other stainless steel pieces of equipment back there.

When is the joint going to open -- I am getting very hungry!

I was thinking the same thing driving by there yesterday. About a month ago I saw Curt Catello at a local watering hole and he told me they would be open by the end of the month. Fingers crossed X

Well all of the paint is scrapped off. They were painting trim yesterday. The black construction fabric is off the fence. Last weekend there were lights and a TV on inside. Looks like it should be any day now...

Opening up at 4pm today!

Shhh, I was told by one of the employees it was a "secret opening".

I wonder what will be on the menu. Interesting. Urban Detroit also could use some more more unique restaurants.

Too bad they didn't think of something like this for March's Mobil on Gratiot in Clinton Twp when it closed. Vintage building leveled without a word. Bastards...

Quote Originally Posted by tvaspen View Post
    Shhh, I was told by one of the employees it was a "secret opening".
    Not too secret!!! From Thursday's Free Press: http://www.freep.com/article/2012060...-open-Thursday

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Not too secret!!! From Thursday's Free Press: http://www.freep.com/article/2012060...-open-Thursday
    Thrillist sent out a notice of the opening, too.

We went there at 8:00 last night, we were told an hour and a half, we left.

Quote Originally Posted by tvaspen View Post
    We went there at 8:00 last night, we were told an hour and a half, we left.
    Rumor in the neighborhood here is that there were up to 3 hours waits if that is possible....Haven't been in but it sure does smell good!

Have to use the Suppino rule. Get there when the doors open!

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    Rumor in the neighborhood here is that there were up to 3 hours waits if that is possible....Haven't been in but it sure does smell good!

Have to use the Suppino rule. Get there when the doors open!
    How are the neighbors reacting to their street being fully parked up? Driving by on Woodward, I can see cars everywhere for a couple blocks either side and up the streets off Woodward.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiogoon View Post
    Too bad they didn't think of something like this for March's Mobil on Gratiot in Clinton Twp when it closed. Vintage building leveled without a word. Bastards...
    I couldn't agree with you more... now we know why there are historic preservation ordinances and districts.... because some people don't give a rats ass about our historic legacy. That was a beautiful building with the glazed ceramic coated metal sheets and the wonderful Mobil "Pegasus" winged horse painted on the facade. A beautiful historic relic that was butchered and then razed...

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    How are the neighbors reacting to their street being fully parked up? Driving by on Woodward, I can see cars everywhere for a couple blocks either side and up the streets off Woodward.
    I live one block away from where the real thick parking is so I haven't heard of any issues yet. I'm sure someone will be complaining soon enough though. I must say with Berkley always having on street parking people shouldn't be too surprised that people are parking on the street.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2