Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Not right now especially in these economic conditions. Maybe if things improve. They always wanted to move it to Lansing, which kinda defeats the point of the state fair as a place where rural and urban come together. Who knows what the plans are for the fairgrounds regarding the light rail, and whether or not the Gateway Shopping thing ever turns into a reality. I'm sure when the time comes the property will sell very cheap though ;-) The Silverdome tried to have their version of an agricultural fair Labor Day weekend but I guess that has pretty much fallen apart this year.

I guess we'll wait and see. It was still fun while it lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    Not right now especially in these economic conditions. Maybe if things improve. They always wanted to move it to Lansing, which kinda defeats the point of the state fair as a place where rural and urban come together. Who knows what the plans are for the fairgrounds regarding the light rail, and whether or not the Gateway Shopping thing ever turns into a reality. I'm sure when the time comes the property will sell very cheap though ;-) The Silverdome tried to have their version of an agricultural fair Labor Day weekend but I guess that has pretty much fallen apart this year.

I guess we'll wait and see. It was still fun while it lasted.
    Well, there is a Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michig...ir/61190670070

I wrote to the Gov. about it last year and got no response, not even a form letter.

Been looking for this photo for a week. Better late than never, I guess.

Name:  stove.jpg
Views: 1598
Size:  40.5 KB "Sagebrush Shorty, favorite of young Detroit television viewers and supersalesman for Schafer Breads, receives a new 10 gallon hat from Jack Schafer. Sage won a bet with Schafer, head of the Detroit bakery, that he could sell 100,000 loaves of Schafer's new Kitchen Stove Bread within two weeks. Presentation was made at the site of the "World's largest Stove" now equipped with a huge loaf of Kitchen Stove Bread in Schafer's Outdoor "Spectacular" promoting the new loaf." Circa 1957

Months later and I'm up late thinkin' about this!! I wanna know who owns the stove. In 2009, the State cut the Department of History. Now, I believe the DNR stewards historical sites. I sent an email to confirm this, but no response. Anyone know for sure?
    Last edited by partystore; January-23-12 at 05:03 AM.

I'd like to see it rebuilt, but we'll probably get new Packards in the showroom before that happens. My great aunt always mentioned how she saw the oven go by on a flatcar en route to the 1893 Chicago Exposition, but then entertainment was harder to come by in those days

Default The Garland Stove

I hope this isn't redundant. Is it true that the stove burned down?
    Name:  GarlandStove2a.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  57.1 KB

Great thread MikeM - thanx. BTW how does one find buried threads? Is there a search box somewhere that I'm not seeing? I'm editing because I just found the search text.. I was looking for a box...
    Last edited by EZZ; February-03-12 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Found it

^Scroll up and look for "Advanced Search"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4