Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

We're about 7 weeks from getting an answer.

Interesting that Duggan wasn't even a mention in the thread originally.

We're also likely to get a hispanic and a white [[maybe 2) council persons this year.

With the outcome of last months primary [[November be damned), combined with past races in Baltimore and New Orleans I don't fucking EVER want to hear about how black people won't vote for white candidates.

That is at least one stereotype that should be dead, set on fire, buried and pissed on.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    We're about 7 weeks from getting an answer.

Interesting that Duggan wasn't even a mention in the thread originally.

We're also likely to get a hispanic and a white [[maybe 2) council persons this year.

With the outcome of last months primary [[November be damned), combined with past races in Baltimore and New Orleans I don't fucking EVER want to hear about how black people won't vote for white candidates.

That is at least one stereotype that should be dead, set on fire, buried and pissed on.
    To go one beyond that, just shoot that out to orbit. It is the biggest misconception ever perpetuated by the race baiters.

Duggin is the front runner and is the ballot so the others are rhetorical mentions I suppose......

Quote Originally Posted by 7 & Van Dyke View Post
    Are those serious candidates?

Yes. That's where I am coming from...

Quote Originally Posted by D_Town View Post
    White mayor??? How about the RIGHT mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by econ expat View Post
    Dennis Archer is Catholic
    Kwame was the first non-Catholic mayor in a long time. Even Young was Catholic. He was an alter-boy at Old St. Mary's in Greektown.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Even Young was Catholic. He was an alter-boy at Old St. Mary's in Greektown.
    No doubt, that's where he learned to swear.

Lol, looking back on old posts. Funny to see how differently things have turned out from the original predictions. I hope Duggan runs for a 4th term...

Quote Originally Posted by KnnNike View Post
    Lol, looking back on old posts. Funny to see how differently things have turned out from the original predictions. I hope Duggan runs for a 4th term...

Yes, informative and entertaining thread indeed.

white candy, white paint, white Christmas, white rabbit, white flag, white lie, white lightning, white bread, etc all sound OK but "white Mayor" just sounds wrong somehow??

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    white candy, white paint, white Christmas, white rabbit, white flag, white lie, white lightning, white bread, etc all sound OK but "white Mayor" just sounds wrong somehow??
    You had 9 years to complain about it... but didn't...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    You had 9 years to complain about it... but didn't...
    Oh no no, that’s not what I meant. It sound wrong to me that we need to identify the color of a mayor in that way. I’m not naive enough to think that the race of the person running for mayor doesn’t matter, it’s just something about it that I can’t explain. I’m a former Detroiter and I think he’s done a great job. The mayor when I moved out was Gribbs who created STRESS. “Plans for STRESS coalesced in the winter of 1970. Out of a department of 5,000, only some 80 officers were recruited to join the clandestine unit.” The New Republic.

Interesting retrieve for sure. Fascinating how just a decade ago a political office in Detroit could be discussed here by the race or fame of the occupant and not by the political party affiliation. Today in the current climate in the country and on this board that would not last 3 posts before the political party attacks started to land all over the thread for 10 pages from out of state posters spewing often repeated common opinion TV channel talking points like they where some sort of epiphany.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; March-14-22 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Interesting retrieve for sure. Fascinating how just a decade ago a political office in Detroit could be discussed here by the race or fame of the occupant and not by the political party affiliation. Today in the current climate in the country and on this board that would not last 3 posts before the political party attacks started to land all over the thread for 10 pages from out of state posters spewing often repeated common opinion TV channel talking points like they where some sort of epiphany.
    How is that any different when locals do the same thing you are accusing others of doing,nobody brought the political party aspect into it but you,notice that you and the other one did not participate in the beginning,maybe that is why it was not so divisive.

There has to be some kind of script being handed out at meetings,it keeps getting repeated as if nobody can come up with new material.

Or maybe they are the ones spewing often repeated common tv channel talking points.

That’s as bad as telling somebody they had 9 years to complain about something and did not,when they had a lifetime of opportunity to help change things in the city in a positive way and did not.

Thats the problem,some spend more time looking for ways to disrupt instead of channeling that energy into a positive way.

Dugan seems to be one of those that was in the right place at the right time,rare for most politicians.
    Last edited by Richard; March-14-22 at 10:22 PM.

Now repost this using a black man as your object of racist rant and lets see what reaction you get.

Black balled, black out, black jack, black hole, black light, black top, black tie, black cherry, black board, black ops, black eye, black bird, black mayor.

...It sound wrong to me that we need to identify the color of a mayor in that way.
    If you're saying that we should be color-blind, I agree with you.

Look at Detroit before Duggan had gotten in and look at it after. Detroit is more ready to host another Superbowl than we were in 2006 under a Black Mayor. Let us not forget that many city employees had lost their pensions under a Black Mayor, Council, and Black Emergency Manager. DPS fell to ruin under Black leadership with wasteful spending, books sitting inside warehouses not given to students, school board members being chauffeured to work in limousines, and money not being spent on upgrades until the 90s and a few of those new school buildings are now closed

Color-blind? Hah. That was the talk of MLKing and he was killed for it.

Further, racial essentialism, ally-ship and assigning [forcing] everyone to their group of oppressor vs. oppressed group per their birth, attributes, etc fits a narrative well beyond Detroit! It's an old story - being repeated - an inversion to fix former race based-assumptions. So we're persuaded.

These are the days of control - what better means of such than pitting everyone against each other. Race is the new power-broker and money maker. The politicians and policy-makers LOVE IT. Sad truth, but truth none-the-less. The US is being watched in our folly for what's coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    If you're saying that we should be color-blind, I agree with you.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-20-22 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Sad truth, but truth none-the-less. The US is being watched in our folly for what's coming.
    Firstly, what is truth?

Secondly, what exactly is coming?

^ Firstly, what is truth?

The sentence stated prior:

'....days of control - what better means of such than pitting everyone against each other. Race is the new power-broker and money maker. The politicians and policy-makers LOVE IT.'

What's coming?

China's response to the United States. At multiple levels: including our weakening as a super-power; our how increasing divisions within our own nation compromising us socially, and at the level of sound decision making -- including our response to global conflicts.

Not to mention our dept and increasing dependence on China even at the level of core medicines, technology and minerals. What'll happen when they dictate what they will and won't supply for example?

Detroit will indeed be impacted.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-20-22 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^ Firstly, what is truth?

The sentence stated prior:

'....days of control - what better means of such than pitting everyone against each other. Race is the new power-broker and money maker. The politicians and policy-makers LOVE IT.'

What's coming?

China's response to the United States. At multiple levels: including our weakening as a super-power; our how increasing divisions within our own nation compromising us socially, and at the level of sound decision making -- including our response to global conflicts.

Not to mention our dept and increasing dependence on China even at the level of core medicines, technology and minerals. What'll happen when they dictate what they will and won't supply for example?

Detroit will indeed be impacted.
    You're describing the end of globalism, not the end of the U.S.. All that happens is the U.S. retrenches as a protectionist nation...there isn't an industry out there that the U.S. could not become proficient in within 5-10 years.

And more manufacturing back in the U.S.? Detroit would boom again.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    Only slightly better than the chances of a Jewish person becoming the pope.

Even if there was some way that a white person could get elected the criticism that he/she would face would be unbearable. The black community seems a lot more comfortable with a black person screwing them over than a white person. Actually, I think way too comfortable.

I don't think a white person could be appointed to run DPS or be the financial manager of Detroit if it ever gets to that point. There's no way one is going to get elected based on the racial makeup of the city as it stands now.

That post aged like milk.

^ Yeah. The superintendent [after that carousel of emergency financial managers] of DPSCD is not black.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-13-22 at 08:46 PM.

Gotta jump in here with a simple observation.

Since moving to southern Nevada when I retired from DPD in 1984, I've rarely observed/read about racial problems here. Not to say there are not occasional conflicts, but God, nothing like back in the tri-county area of Detroit.

Can't we just all get along? [[Apologies to Rodney King, of Los Angeles.)

^ That [getting along] is not expedient now to the powers seen, and not. Sadly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3