Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post
    He called himself a thug and lumped himself in with those who are the topic of discussion. I call it as it is presented to me. Why call yourself a thug if you aren't one?
    Thug Life
    A word Evolved by the late Tupac Shakur. Commonly mistaken for a Criminal. Thug Life is the opposite of someone having all he needs to succeed. Thug life is when you have nothing, and succeed, when you have overcome all obstacles to reach your aim.
    "When my heart beats, it screams THUG LIFE."
    THUG LIFE
    1) acronym for "The Hate U Give Little Infants Fucks Everyone". This acronyn was made popular by American rap artist 2Pac.
    Last edited by rajdet; May-28-09 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rajdet View Post
    Thug Life
    A word Evolved by the late Tupac Shakur. Commonly mistaken for a Criminal. Thug Life is the opposite of someone having all he needs to succeed. Thug life is when you have nothing, and succeed, when you have overcome all obstacles to reach your aim.
    "When my heart beats, it screams THUG LIFE."
    THUG LIFE
    1) acronym for "The Hate U Give Little Infants Fucks Everyone". This acronyn was made popular by American rap artist 2Pac.
    thug 1810, "member of a gang of murderers and robbers in India who strangled their victims," from Marathi thag, thak "cheat, swindler," Hindi thag, perhaps from Skt. sthaga-s "cunning, fraudulent," possibly from sthagayati "[[he) covers, conceals," from PIE base *[[s)teg- "cover" [[see stegosaurus). Transferred sense of "ruffian, cutthroat" first recorded 1839. The more correct Indian name is phanseegur, and the activity was described in Eng. as far back as c.1665. Rigorously prosecuted by the British from 1831, they were driven from existence, but the process extended over the rest of the 19c.

I'm afraid Tupac can't lay claim to that one. A couple hundred years too early for him.

Quote Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post
    Start at birth to teach children how to treat others.

I'm afraid this current generation is a total loss.
    Well since you stated that this current generation is a "total loss," then later described them as thugs, I called myself that.

Relax old lady, I don't want highjack this thread away from what it was intended to be about, but please keep in mind in every illegal crime organization its usually someone old orchestrating actions carried out by the young. So each generation would be at fault.

You gotta love the blue hairs that are preoccupied with only three things:

1. Everything was good back in my day.
    2. Things aren't as good as they used to be.
    3. Back in my day, things were better than they are now.

There are some gangs in Detroit, but they are dormant due to lack to community cultural revolution. Various community social service organizations vowed to put a stop to the growing number of Detroit street gangs. However Detroit street gangs are still involve with the flow of drugs, prositutions and quick gun fights at local Detroit Public School buildings. Most Detroit street gangs have move on to hid themselves in various suburbs to get the flow of drugs to white kids. I have seen the event happen in Garden City/Westland border when a couple of 12 to 14 year old white kids have require weed to make their homemade blunts in their parents homes while they are work. Now the flow of street drugs from various Detroit street gangs are everwhere in the suburbs and tagger their territories as they go. Don't believe me go to all the way out of Sterling Heights, West Bloomfield, Canton TWP. Livonia ect.. and see for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    It apparently came from a mishearing/misspelling of the name Corleone from the Godfather movies.

Hey, it's Detroit, we all know how to spell "coney," don't we?
    True. I was told back then that it was, indeed, a mishearing/misspelling of Corleone, and also that it was a reference to a particular Coney Island restaurant located in the neighborhood where the gang originated. Maybe there is a middle aged former member here who can enlighten us!

Quote Originally Posted by ruxy17 View Post
    the Dexter Boyz [[with a "z," mind you) have given me quite a few headaches. They've stolen my brother and my boyfriend's cars from our gated parking lot, and my brother's friend's car twice, and I'd venture to guess at least 40 other cars from our lot and guest lot in the 3 years I've lived there [[M-10 and the Blvd, roughly). my brother's car was found in pretty bad shape with "dexter boyz" carved in every panel. the night they took that, they took umpteen catalytic converters from our lot. When gas prices were extremely high last year they punctured a lot of gas tanks.

the funny thing is that they all have myspaces. when my brother's car was stolen we looked and found all of them online, most of their profiles bragging about crimes they had committed.

Interestingly enough, Dr. Luke Bergmann [[Director of Research at the city's Health and Wellness Dept and husband of my lovely urban anthropology professor) spent 2 years doing fieldwork with the Dexter Boyz as research for his book "Getting Ghost." Very good read.
    Some of that just seems particularly malicious. Was this some personal vendetta against your family?

DetroitDad Guest

Danny is right. Most of the drug lords live in the suburbs, and many of the buyers are suburban youth who get bored when their parents aren't home.

no, not at all. beyond sharing physical space, i don't share much else with the "Boyz," so i can't imagine them having any idea that i exist, let alone having a personal vendetta against me. as much as it seems high for my family, it seems to be in keeping with the average theft rate around my building. my neighbor had the exact same car stolen 4 times within 3 weeks. each time they'd find it in a few days, and within days it'd be stolen again.

pretty much all the cars that are stolen are found in a few days and within blocks of my apartment. once they caught two young kids [[13ish) during a rash of break-ins. i have a feeling the theft is a part of initiation; used for joyriding then dumped.

The initiation angle makes sense.

Check this article out from Wayne County Sherriff Warren Evans.

Law enforcement agencies join forces to take on subculture of guns, drugs and street gangs

[FONT=Book Antiqua,Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua,Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]
    A task force of 140 local, state and federal law enforcement officers has joined forces in an unprecedented and multi-faceted effort to go after individuals who are committing the largest percentage of violent crime in Detroit and surrounding communities, Wayne County Sheriff Warren C. Evans announced today.
    The Guns, Drugs & Gangs initiative officially began on May 1 and is culminating this week with dozens of arrests, search warrants, and unannounced visits to the homes of parolees and probationers. With one day left in the operation, officers had arrested more than 70 suspects – including the suspected gunman in a double murder – and at least 12 other gang members. Officers also have confiscated significant amounts of drugs and several weapons, including an assault rifle and a tech-nine automatic handgun.
    The effort is being led by the Wayne County Sheriff’s Office and includes significant federal involvement from the FBI, ATF, DEA, US Immigration & Customs Enforcement, US Marshal and US Attorney’s Office, as well as the Detroit Police Department, Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office, Oakland & Macomb County Sheriff’s Offices, Michigan Department of Corrections, Michigan State Police, Detroit Public Schools, and others.
    The project first began in early April, when Evans’ staff began cross referencing its own warrant files, with FBI data on known gang members. What Evans learned, he said, was eye-opening: nearly 25 percent of those wanted on serious gun, drug or violent offenses also had known gang affiliations. When the gang data was compared against active parolees and probationers in Wayne County with convictions for similar offenses, the gang connection rose to more than 50 percent.
    It is believed that gang-related activity is responsible for the majority of fatal and non-fatal shootings in the city of Detroit, most of which take place in outdoor neighborhood settings where the possibility for innocent bystanders to be struck is extremely high.
    "Although they are not highly organized like ones found South Central L.A., for example, these neighborhood gangs still wreak havoc on the communities they operate in," Evans said. "This operation goes to the heart of violent crime in our area by focusing on who are known to be committing it."
    #more#
    -2-
    According to the FBI, there are approximately 50 loosely organized neighborhood gangs in Detroit and surrounding communities. Included among them are the A-Team, the Detroit Thug Lords, the Zone 8 Gang and the Schoolcraft Boyz, all of which deal drugs and guns.
    "We have to attack gun, drug and gang violence on all fronts with a coordinated and organized response," said Prosecutor Worthy. "It just makes sense that we can maximize our ability to combat crime when we pool all of our resources."
    Among those arrested so far was one of two gunmen in a September 2007 shooting that left two people dead and two others seriously injured on Walton Street in Detroit. The 18-year-old suspect is a member of the A-Team gang, which operates in the area of Tireman and Livernois and deals in drugs. The shooting is believed to be related to a feud with another gang in the area.
    The suspect is one of more than 80 known gang members with active warrants who have been targeted during this operation, along with another 80 who are on parole or probation and being subjected to unannounced home checks by Sheriff’s Deputies and Michigan Department of Corrections agents. Planners also identified an additional 250 wanted felons whose criminal history also includes gun, drug or violent offenses but have no known gang affiliation.
    Andrew G. Arena, Special Agent in Charge [[SAC), Federal Bureau of Investigation [[FBI), Detroit, Michigan advised, "Enforcement operations like this highlight the great successes that can be realized through the collaborative efforts of local, county, state, and federal law enforcement agencies which ensure the safety and security of all citizens."
    Since many of the offenders are juveniles, the County's Department of Children & Family Services, which funds a violent juvenile apprehension unit. Also joining the GDG team is the Detroit Public Schools Department of Public Safety, which has been identifying current and expelled students engaged in suspected gang activity on school grounds.
    Evans said that based on what already has been learned, each agency will benefit from debriefing interviews of each the suspects, which already is generating new leads in major cases.
    "ATF is always proud to work with one of our favorite law enforcement partners like the Wayne County Sheriff's Office. Supporting efforts like the Guns, Drugs and Gangs Enforcement Project helps to make our neighborhoods safer one arrest at a time," said Thomas E. Brandon, Special Agent in Charge, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Detroit Field Division.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET!

Watching the Gangboys packing heat!

BET's "American Gangster" documentary series had an episode on the Chambers Bros.
    History' Channel's "Gangland" series had an episode on 'Maserati Rick' and the 'Best Friends' crew..
    ...production values may drastically vary, but there are also various 'street' dvd documentaries about past & modern detroit criminal outfits.. "Murder City" may be the most recent.. [[check Amazon.com)

Bill Moyers, interview with The wire creator, about urban crime/culture issues..
    http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/04172009/watch.html

a Nolan Finley/Detroit News Editorial from a month or so ago--
    http://tiny.cc/B6wu6

Law-enforcment experts on ending the prohibition--
    http://www.leap.cc/cms/index.php

legalization, followed up with strict taxation/regulation would go a long way in disrupting most of the mayhem that's taking place when these drug-crews [[and assorted independent knuckleheads) enforce their turf/rules with violence... the legal age for marijuana can be 19 [[keep most high school seniors from feeling entitled); everything else the age can be 21.. schools/workplaces can still have anti-drug policies, testing, etc...
    it could be purchased from licensed dispensaries [[who pay fees like a liquor license); this could be where independent pharmacies could re-build a niche, since they’re losing against the Walgreens, CVS, Wal-Mart, Rite-Aid, Target and grocery chain pharmacies.
    tax revenue can go toward rehab programs, among other things..

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by michael View Post
    What can we all do to put an end to this?
    Hold parents responsible.

"Coney"? It was Sconyonlys from what I remember, referred to as the Sconies. Then there was the Errol Flynn's. Detroit was never known for catchy gang names. The "Purples"?

I love interactive maps...
    [[edited)
    Does that link work?? it doesn't for me for some reason. The map is at the-murder-city[[dot)com's website.
    Last edited by izzyindetroit; May-28-09 at 05:00 PM.

Blarf Guest

Legalize drugs and prostitution.

The gangs aren't going to be very powerful if they don't have money/power.

I agree but it will probably never happen.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    Legalize drugs and prostitution.

The gangs aren't going to be very powerful if they don't have money/power.
    Quote Originally Posted by chitaku View Post
    I agree but it will probably never happen.
    What? They lied to us when they told us this was a government for the people, by the people?

Some 60% of Americans under the age of 50 have tried drugs....
    Last edited by DetroitDad; May-28-09 at 05:51 PM.

Per Ray's statement: "...And....lizaanne....don't be so pessimistic. I watch the kids on the National Geography Bee and the National Spelling Bee; and I watch them on Jeopardy! during the teen and college tournaments. America's future is still bright, trust me."
    I am watching the spelling bee, and four of the seven finalists appear to be of Indian descent. Any suggestions why? I am thinking that there might be a tendency in this population to encourage education more than in other populations.
    I apologize for straying.

Retroit Guest

Well, Bobl, you obviously must be a racist.

[[I don't really think so, but since I'm always called one when I point out cultural differences, I thought I'd carry on the DetroitYES! tradition.)
    Last edited by Retroit; May-28-09 at 08:39 PM.

MIRepublic Guest

Detroit is infested with cliques that run some linear streets, but in terms of highly-organized, large gangs they are much fewer and far between in the city. Now, down the road in Chicago is a different story.

In many ways, it's been the lack of major gang activity that actually leads to Detroit having a higher homicide rate. If couple of large gangs could ever take over the drug trade in the city, you'd see the rate drop as many of the drug-related homicides [[70% of the city's murders) are from hundreds of little squirmishes between between cliques.

There are no real gangs in Detroit.
    That depends on what you define as a "real gang". Detroit does not have the generational gangs that Los Angeles has, were you are born into a gang and the gang is essentially your family. However, we do have groups that are:

• At least somewhat organized;
    • Are involved in illicit activities [[narcotics, auto theft, etc.);
    • Operate within a generally defined territory; and
    • Are willing to use violence to repel any potential rivals.

This certainly sounds like a gang to me.
    Police also take gang activity very seriously in Metro Detroit.
    Police take gang activity very seriously in every jurisdiction in the U.S. and Canada. In spite of this, gangs continue to operate.

In Detroit, we have the added problem that a series of Mayors and City Councils have made public safety a low-priority item when it comes to the budget.
    What can we all do to put an end to this?
    First, I recommend hiring enough police officers for a city of Detroit's size, giving them the resources they need and holding them accountable for getting the job done properly.

Second, I believe we need to make sure that there are legal jobs that these individuals can turn to as a productive alternative.

During my 3 yr stint around the 75/GreenSt neighborhood. I would have to say there was a gang problem around there and that would be backed up by my "Gramps" who was in the Mich/Livernois area for the first 62 of his 68 yrs.
    Gramps used to tell stories of the BagleyBoys and the Stilettoes. Names I have heard from other family members and friends parents. Personally if I were a gang member I would not try to overly promote it. The RICO laws are in my mind cracking down on alot of this activity. As a youngster around 7/Evergreen I can remember the BK tags on the garages in the allyways as well as the WK tags over them.

Quote Originally Posted by MIRepublic View Post
    Detroit is infested with cliques that run some linear streets, but in terms of highly-organized, large gangs they are much fewer and far between in the city. Now, down the road in Chicago is a different story.
    I always had the impression that they are mostly cliques in Detroit, you know my boys against your boys. I don't see the Bloods, Crips type mentality in Detroits gangs. I don't think too many Detroit kids were seriously restricted from wearing certain types of clothing and colors, or were kept from walking in certain areas. I think the worst gangs in Detroit are the ones that came together for the sole purpose of moving drugs and protection. I have heard that they are the ones that were some of the most organized and dangerous in the country. The Chambers bros and Best Friends are two of many that come to mind.

MIRepublic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I always had the impression that they are mostly cliques in Detroit, you know my boys against your boys. I don't see the Bloods, Crips type mentality in Detroits gangs. I don't think too many Detroit kids were seriously restricted from wearing certain types of clothing and colors, or were kept from walking in certain areas. I think the worst gangs in Detroit are the ones that came together for the sole purpose of moving drugs and protection. I have heard that they are the ones that were some of the most organized and dangerous in the country. The Chambers bros and Best Friends are two of many that come to mind.
    To be clear, most all urban cliques and gangs exist solely to move drugs and for protection. But, yes, Detroit's street culture is ridiculously cliquish and fractured for a city of its size save with a few exceptions, though, the cliques may call themselves 'gangs' all-the-same. Lately [[this decade), the DoJ has been clamping down on the cliques on the Westside and in the northwest.

There are exceptions, though. Some well-known Latino gangs [[the Kings and the Counts) have taken over, and are warring it out in, Southwest Detroit. And, there are some Bloods and Crips that control the northern edge of the city [[7 Mile, in particular).
    Last edited by MIRepublic; May-29-09 at 01:56 AM.

Sludgedaddy Guest

To solve this problem of gang warfare and dis-unity, I suggest that Cyrus call for a meeting somewhere on an urban prairie near Chene St. Get the Moon Runners next to the East Side Rangers..Get The Punjabi Rogue Elephants to sharpen the spelling ability of the Coney-Oneys and the Earl Flynns...and The Warriors to come out and pla..ay...ay..ay. Can you dig it?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast