Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Milwaukee Junction turning into Detroit's Design District

Long read, but a really good writeup of all the development happening in Milwaukee Junction.

Detroit district builds around design

Then Detroit-based Method Development stepped in to create what it calls the Detroit Design District. The company purchased the entire block in 2019 with an ambitious redevelopment plan. “This block was basically a barren wasteland of obsolete buildings enclosed in a fence with barbed wire,” Method Development co-founder Amelia Patt-Zamir said. “But we really felt palpable vibes in the neighborhood of artists being in here … and we really thought that this was the right home for the Detroit Design District. And that was our vision. So that's what we were hoping to curate.”

After undergoing $12 million in redevelopment, the former auto center and an adjoining building now house 15,000 square feet of occupied retail space and 18 loft apartments. Method Development’s work isn’t done. It plans a $15 million second phase that includes rehabilitating buildings on the block.

The project is among the latest to emerge in the Milwaukee Junction neighborhood in recent years. Down the street, there’s the Platform’s Chroma building and other business ventures, such as the neighborhood bar Kiesling and Milwaukee Caffé. It all sits near other upcoming projects, such as the Platform’s redevelopment of the Studebaker building into the Piquette Flats, expected to meet the demand for workforce housing. In the distance, one can see the former Fisher Body Plant that's slated to become a mixed-use development.

The businesses join others with long tenures in the neighborhood, including Tangent Gallery on Milwaukee and Parks Old Style Bar-B-Q on Beaubien.
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...n/70913998007/

Great idea to make the area a design district. It should also be a garment district for clothing designed by local seamstress and designers that are not just limited to branding Detroit by the old English D or Detroit labeled on the clothing. Fashionable street wear and dressy wear could be designed in the district. As far as the Fisher Plant renovation is concern, I don't see any success in the development of that building by the group whom had purchased it

The Piquette Plant, home on Henry Ford's first factory, is also a terrific place to visit there. The large warehouse next to it is currently undergoing conversion into lofts, but the Fisher Plant is a much, much bigger building.

Quote Originally Posted by expatriate View Post
    The Piquette Plant, home on Henry Ford's first factory, is also a terrific place to visit there. The large warehouse next to it is currently undergoing conversion into lofts,....
    This recent tour just happened to appear today:

This 1904 Automobile Factory In Detroit Still Has Cars That Were Originally Built There Inside It!
    It's hard to imagine that the original Model T Factory is still standing let alone some of the cars that were actually built there inside it today, but it's true. Take a look inside and you can see how the Henry Ford's Piquette Plant still managed to survive even after Ford sold it!

I thought the North End neighborhood was being used as the new art design district?

I questioned why The Vault of Midnight had decided to move to this location. Now I see that this location is coming up with great potential

Very encouraging signs in Milwaukee Junction and North End. Lots of houses and buildings being rehabbed, new businesses and restaurants too. Homes are selling easily within the $200K range and above, something unheard of 10 years ago as the city went bankrupt.

My hope is to see new construction start to re-densify and diversify the North End/ Piety Hill neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Very encouraging signs in Milwaukee Junction and North End. Lots of houses and buildings being rehabbed, new businesses and restaurants too. Homes are selling easily within the $200K range and above, something unheard of 10 years ago as the city went bankrupt.

My hope is to see new construction start to re-densify and diversify the North End/ Piety Hill neighborhoods.
    I love the enthusiasm, BUT I have to temper it when it comes to the purchase prices of the homes nearby. This is partly due to the state of the housing market. Unfortunately the fall from a rise this high can be catastrophic.

People are currently stuck in a cycle of extremely high mortgage rates and inflated home prices. This tends to not end well. I hope this won't be the case. The inflation crisis could be damning for so many cities in America.

People walk when they go underwater on mortgages. A correction in home values will start all that.

Fingers crossed its avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post

Piety Hill? Almost all Detroiters from there and surrounding neighborhoods call that area “3rd Street” since at least the 60’s. Some realtors call west of Woodward “The North End” in order to sell homes. Greed is still amongst us.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    Piety Hill? Almost all Detroiters from there and surrounding neighborhoods call that area “3rd Street” since at least the 60’s. Some realtors call west of Woodward “The North End” in order to sell homes. Greed is still amongst us.
    This area has been known as Piety Hill since the 1880s...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pi...7q69?entry=ttu

According to this map, Piety Hill and North End are on either side of Woodward. Like "Cass Corridor"... area names change all the time...