Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

How about: Dick Purtan, J.P. McCarthy, Gordy From ABC Warehouse, Sam Bernstein and Andy[[1-800-LOAN_YES) Jacobs.

Thought of a couple more today.

WABX Air Ace, TV show host and WDET afternoon spinner Dave Dixon. He ruled the late 80's and 90's at WDET for better or worse, and deserves his own thread. I remember he got a sponser for his TV show selling "sheet suspenders".

Mark Scott on 1270 talk radio. If you listened to his show for 3-4 hours you would head home, put on the tin foil hat and scan the horizon for black helicopters. He was the original teabagger, hours of Ayn Randian rants.

One more, Peter Worbe's Nightcall show on WRIF Sunday nights. I tuned in every week. Any anarchists on DYes? This could also bring up discussion of the "Fifth Estate" newspaper, I still have old copies in the personal archive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    John DeLorean

For daring to dream the Great Detroit Dream
    ... and smuggling cocaine to save it
    ... and beating the rap.
    John Delorean is such an interesting persona in Detroit history. From rags to riches and back again. The rise and fall of John Delorean encapsulates so many Detroit stories. From the fall of Packard and Studebaker to the growth of General Motors into the largest corporation in the world. WWII and Detroit as the Arsenal of Democracy. The birth of the American muscle car. Politics, business, and Hollywood socialites. Not to mention Delorean's personal life, which is just as interesting. His father was a union organizer turned reclusive alcoholic. Delorean's rapid rise to power at GM. Four marriages, a futuristic stainless-steel car company built in Ireland, a federal indictment for drug smuggling, the entrapment defense and an acquittal, to Delorean's personal bankruptcy.

It's no wonder that George Clooney is considering doing a movie based on the life of John Deloreon. Hope it gets made. There's so much substance to work with. Could be awesome.

James Riddle Hoffa.

Milky the Clown. Say the magic word: "Twin Pines!"

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    James Riddle Hoffa.
    IMO Hoffa belongs in The BIG Hall of Fame. He was a huge figure and a national household name.

I thought Eli Zaret would have come up by now. Please consider him officially added to the mix. DJ, sports broadcaster, laser eye surgery commercials, you name it!

And don't forget Emily Gail, Paul Carey and Tom Barrow and the corporate couple Mary Cunningham and William Agee. Maybe James P. Hoffa should be in there - I think because of the name he gets confused with James R. Hoffa.
    Last edited by Orthophonic; August-08-11 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Serendipitous inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by detroittrader View Post
    ...One more, Peter Worbe's Nightcall show on WRIF Sunday nights. I tuned in every week. Any anarchists on DYes? This could also bring up discussion of the "Fifth Estate" newspaper, I still have old copies in the personal archive.
    detroittrader - I'm pretty sure I have an old tape recording of a late '70s Nightcall show. If still playable I can probably make an MP3 of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthophonic View Post
    I thought Eli Zaret would have come up by now. Please consider him officially added to the mix. DJ, sports broadcaster, laser eye surgery commercials, you name it!
    So, will Eli be inducted with his pre-lasik bespectacled face, or post-lasik sans specs? It's the fat vs skinny Elvis all over again.

Leon the Barber, he of heckler fame at the Pistons games going back to their days at Cobo.
    You know you were a good heckler when some of the NBA greats recognized you as one of the best and most effective.
    The words he used would make the most hardened sailors blush.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    Leon the Barber, he of heckler fame at the Pistons games going back to their days at Cobo.
    You know you were a good heckler when some of the NBA greats recognized you as one of the best and most effective.
    The words he used would make the most hardened sailors blush.
    Now if you want to talk about Detroit cheerleaders, let's not forget to include The Brow aka. Joe Diroff. Always campy, always cheesy but such enthusiasm at all of the sporting events. In this HOF, we should have a bronzed version of his brow just for all to marvel at.

Alex Karras
    Kelly Harmon

Jack Schafer, the Dossin Brothers, George Simon, Fearless Freddie Alter.....
    Last edited by douglasm; August-08-11 at 01:04 PM.

Oopsy the clown.
    Arthur Penhallow
    Mickey Shorr

I would take 2 people off the list already mentioned.... Jimmy Hoffa and Soupy Sales... they were known nationally.

Add to it ..... Captain Jolly and Poopdeck Paul....

I would add to it one non-human name.... Joe Mendi..... the Detroit Zoo Chimp who had previously been famous as being dressed up by his previous owners and paraded around at the Skopes Monkey Trial. Joe Mendi was the early Detroit Zoo's most famous animal in the late 1920s and 1930s. When he became ill, he got over 500 "get well cards" from the Detroit public.

How about a couple more...

"You've got an uncle in the furniture business" Joshua Doore....Joshua Doore

Or how about "Shorty" the groundskeeper at Tiger Stadium? Remember him? The guy that would drag the rake around the infield and tip his hat to everyone and dance with the bases in his hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Now if you want to talk about Detroit cheerleaders, let's not forget to include The Brow aka. Joe Diroff. Always campy, always cheesy but such enthusiasm at all of the sporting events. In this HOF, we should have a bronzed version of his brow just for all to marvel at.
    How about Emily Gail and Pooh? How about Emily's brother Max who had a long standing role in Barney Miller?

Gus - the guy who danced in the gold seats at the Pistons' games at Cobo.

Fat Bob [[Taylor), The Singing Plumber

Winky and Wanda

W&W are the last two on the below link.
    Winky died in 08, but it appears that Wanda is still good.

http://www.pawsweb.org/meet_elephants.html

Quote Originally Posted by Orthophonic View Post
    detroittrader - I'm pretty sure I have an old tape recording of a late '70s Nightcall show. If still playable I can probably make an MP3 of it.
    That would be awesome. I would love to hear that, hell I would even wait until 10pm on a Sunday to listen

Quote Originally Posted by detroittrader View Post
    That would be awesome. I would love to hear that, hell I would even wait until 10pm on a Sunday to listen
    No worries, you won't have to wait until Sunday! I did find the old open reel tape that someone recorded and it still played fine. So I have an MP3 of about 40 minutes worth of a 1979 Nightcall show hosted by Sheila Rushlow with guest Char Margolis and various callers. I'm pretty sure it is Char Margolis - she only goes by Char in the show but the interview is all about spiritualism and psychic readings, and she makes various predictions, etc., for the callers. I'm not familiar with Char except for a brief web search but she is a Detroit-born "Intuitive-Medium." See char.net and charmargolis.blogspot.com. I think DYes has a "private message" function so contact me off-list & I will set up a way for you to get the file [[37 MB, too big to e-mail). Anyone else who wants the MP3 also let me know via private msg.

And I nominate both Sheila Rushlow and Char Margolis to the DHOLF.

List of Nominees to date. *Indicates ascended National Stage.

Who is still missing?

Al Ackerman
    Al Nagler
    Alex Karras
    Andy Jacobs [[1-800-LOAN_YES)
    Arthur Penhallow
    Bill Bonds
    Bill Cunningham
    Bill Kennedy
    Bob Talbert
    Bozo the Clown
    Captain Jolly
    Char Margolis
    Count Scary
    Dave Dixon
    Denny McLain*
    Dick Purtan
    Dossin Brothers
    Eli Zaret
    Emily “Say Nice Things About Detroit” Gail and Pooh
    Fat Bob [[Taylor), The Singing National Anthem Plumber at Tiger Stadium
    Fearless Freddie Alter
    Fred Wolf
    Friend Palmer
    Geoffrey Feiger
    George Pierrot
    George Simon
    Gordy From ABC Warehouse
    Gus – dancing fan at Pistons game
    Harry Heilmann*
    Hermie – dancing grounds keeper at Tiger stadium
    J.P. McCarthy
    Jack Schafer
    Jackie Feigenson
    James Riddle Hoffa*
    Jean Dishong
    Joe Falls
    Joe Mendi - the Detroit Zoo Chimp
    John DeLorean*
    Johnny Ginger
    Joshua Doore
    Kelly Harmon
    Larry Santos
    Leon Czolgosz*
    Leon Spinks*
    Leon the Barber - of heckler fame at the Pistons games
    Lou Gordon
    Mark Scott
    Mary Morgan
    Mel Farr*
    Mickey Shorr
    Milky the Clown
    Mr Whodini
    Mr. Belvidere
    Nat Morris
    Ollie Fretter
    Oopsy the clown
    Orville Hubbard
    Paul Williams
    Peter Werbe
    Poopdeck Paul
    Ray Girardin
    Rita Bell
    Rob Parker
    Ron Coden
    Sam Bernstein
    Shania Twain
    Sheila Rushlow
    Silas Farmer
    Sir Graves Ghastly
    Sonny Elliott
    Soupy Sales
    Stu Klitenic
    Van Patrick
    Winky and Wanda
    Woodrow W. Woody
    Yolanda Williams

Hmm.. I don't see Gar Wood and Mark the Bird Fidrych* [but his story is all here],

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast