Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    lilpup Guest

That's basically a great, big F YOU to the media that deserves it.

Asked why he won't use his own car, Roberts said, "I would if they paid me like they pay other superintendents."
    As far as I can tell, at $250,000, he is by far the highest paid superintendent in the state.

Does he mean "they" should reduce his salary in order for him to provide his own transportation?

lilpup Guest

Ann Arbor is paying their new superintendent $245,000 base salary and there isn't anywhere near the hassles [[nor size) in Ann Arbor as in Detroit. You also seemed to have missed the closing paragraph:

Roberts is paid $250,000 a year and is taking a 10% pay cut along with the district's other 10,000 employees. The prior two DPS leaders earned from $280,000 to an excess of $400,000. The DPS leader is typically driven around in a DPS vehicle by an armed DPS police officer.

I guess the real question is, "what does Ann Arbor pay their EFM?"

lilpup Guest

DPS is paying their current EFM over $150k/year less than their last hired super - soon to be $175k/year after the 10% cut takes effect. You think that can't cover the cost difference between a Dodge Durango with 110k miles on it and a new Chevy Tahoe over the years the Tahoe is used? [[current amortization for public use/commercial vehicles is 3-5 years)

A tempest in a teapot. The job comes with a car. The guy needs a bodyguard or two because many citizens threaten him. The vehicle he inherited too well-used. He needs a big vehicle. My little car cost $20,000 a few years ago. This is nothing.
    And remember, the problem with the Red Navigator was that it wasclandestinely purchased from DPD funds and outfitted, not for the Mayor [[who had already spent $1 million on his fleet of Navigators after refusing to use Archer's Lincoln) but for his wife's use.

lilpup Guest

AND the Navigator was a lease at just under $25k PER YEAR

[[The base price alone on the Navigator was $57K)
    Last edited by lilpup; August-11-11 at 06:04 PM.

lilpup Guest

Hey, Buy American, do you have ANY business experience?

Here's what Roberts had to say about the SUV purchase. Funny, my truck has over 150,000 miles on it and runs like a top. Perhaps DPS should look into a mechanic for some preventative measures? Does he really need an armed driver? At 250 grand a year, I'd be able to drive my own vehicle...he's just ripping us off.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011081...xt%7CFRONTPAGE

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Hey, Buy American, do you have ANY business experience?
    It doesn't take business experience to know when something isn't right, common sense would be more like it.

lilpup Guest

There's been a 44% base pay reduction between the last superintendent and the current EFM. Perhaps THAT'S what the rest of the staff deserve, too.

I don't count "donations" from corrupt people as a salary and it shouldn't be counted as such when determining what Roberts is getting paid compared to Bobb. Bob wasn't the super...he was an EFM.

There's been a 44% base pay reduction between the last superintendent and the current EFM. Perhaps THAT'S what the rest of the staff deserve, too.

lilpup Guest

Even Calloway was making $280,000 base.

OK...so how is that 44%? I'm no math teacher but even I know that 280 down to 250 isn't 44%.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    Here's what Roberts had to say about the SUV purchase.
    OK, so one vehicle died and would be expensive to repair. I'm sure the school system has another decent vehicle in their fleet he could use. And if not, there are much less expensive vehicles on the market.

lilpup Guest

44% from the previous leadership high of $400,000 down to the $225,000 Roberts will get with the 10% cut in place

almost 11% cut between Calloway and Roberts - over 19% cut between Calloway and Roberts once the 10% cut takes effect

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    OK, so one vehicle died and would be expensive to repair. I'm sure the school system has another decent vehicle in their fleet he could use. And if not, there are much less expensive vehicles on the market.
    as if a former GM exec is going to get anything other than a GM product

Maybe of the previous vehicle hadn't been a piece of shit Dodge it would have been more cost effective.

I'd be pissed, too, if a company vehicle broke down on the way up north to a major conference.

Bobb's 400 grand was half paid with "donations". DPS wasn't paying him that. You can't count something that DPS wasn't paying.

44% from the previous leadership high of $400,000 down to the $225,000 Roberts will get with the 10% cut in place

almost 11% cut between Calloway and Roberts - over 19% cut between Calloway and Roberts once the 10% cut takes effect

Why do some folks [[lilpup) yell and scream that teachers should take one for the team yet they defend a stupid purchase of a vehicle? Some staff in DPS are going to have to file for food stamps with the pay cuts and yet, it's OK for Roberts to drive around in luxury with an armed driver? I just don't get it.

The job came with a vehicle. If he didn’t like it, he could have provided his own transportation.

DPS has an Emergency Financial Manager, not a superintendent.

The former vehicle had 111,000 miles on it and needed a $1000 repair, so what? 111,000 isn’t a big deal these days for vehicles. For him, it is. He’s not accustomed to using older model vehicles. He *needed* a new one.

He’s a retired GM executive. He’s used to rolling around town in brand new shiny vehicles. He’s also used to getting those vehicles at no cost to him.

Why should taxpayers have to maintain the level of comfort to which he is accustomed?

Sorry buddy, you don’t like the vehicle that comes with the job of Emergency Financial Manager of DPS, then get your own.

I hope his office furnishings are acceptable to him, but something tells me they won’t be.

as if a former GM exec is going to get anything other than a GM product

Maybe of the previous vehicle hadn't been a piece of shit Dodge it would have been more cost effective.
    Irrelevant. Where you used to work has no bearing on what kind of vehicle your new employer provides, if any.

lilpup Guest

I suppose it's a good thing you people work where you do. You'd never cut it in the real world.

Buy American Guest

It was pretty "real" where I worked as I'm sure it was for most on here. You certainly have a different "slant" on things. Where do you work that's so "real"?

lilpup Guest

not some cushy, taxpayer-extorting unionized government job

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast