Hudson Site Proposal Interior
740 FOOT TOWER PROPSED FOR HUDSON SITE »


10 FUN THINGS TO DO IN DETROIT »



Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Default Metro Airport Shuttle Restrictions

    The company I work for is looking to have it's conference downtown. We just learned that Metro Airport restricts hotel shuttles to a one mile radius around the airport.

    This is pretty damn inconvenient. Why can't downtown hotels run shuttles to Metro? I mean, I can think of a few interested parties who would like to keep it this way, but is there an official line?

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    The company I work for is looking to have it's conference downtown. We just learned that Metro Airport restricts hotel shuttles to a one mile radius around the airport.

    This is pretty damn inconvenient. Why can't downtown hotels run shuttles to Metro? I mean, I can think of a few interested parties who would like to keep it this way, but is there an official line?
    The Metro Cars lobby, I bet.

  3. #3

    Default

    The only reason it's there is to protect the contracted transportation companies monopoly. I'm sure it's baked into Metro Cars contract with the airport. It adds value to the contract. It Allows the airport to charge more for that contract.

  4. #4

    Default

    Just our wonderfully interconnected, borderless metropolis at work again.

  5. #5

    Default

    I do a lot of travel for work, and I can't say I've ever seen a hotel more than a few miles from an airport offer a complimentary airport shuttle. Definitely not any 18-20 miles away.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ferndalien View Post
    I do a lot of travel for work, and I can't say I've ever seen a hotel more than a few miles from an airport offer a complimentary airport shuttle. Definitely not any 18-20 miles away.
    It'd probably be a pretty big sell for downtown hotels if they were able to provide shuttle service, considering how lacking the public transit is between downtown and the airport. Visitors to Detroit really only have two options: 1) an expensive ass cab/livery car ride or 2) an expensive ass car rental.

  7. #7

    Default

    Believe it or not, there is a bus that goes from downtown to metro, by a very slow, circuitous route, though.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    The only reason it's there is to protect the contracted transportation companies monopoly. I'm sure it's baked into Metro Cars contract with the airport. It adds value to the contract. It Allows the airport to charge more for that contract.
    I am totally opposed to exclusive contracts. There should be at least 3 un-connected limo/car companies providing service there and any hotel/motel/hospitality company should be able to provide free service if they choose to.

  9. #9

    Default

    I remember when you used to able to do that virtually to/from any hotel downtown in the mid 90s. You could even do it if you weren't staying at the hotel for a fee. Why this convenience went away still leaves me shaking my head.

  10. #10

    Default

    It's all about the money.

  11. #11

    Default

    SMART bus 125 (Fort Street) runs to/from DTW from downtown. I regularly take it during the winter time. (The rest of the year I ride a motorcycle. Gotta travel light.)

    Nonetheless, our airport transportation is a disgrace. Taxis or Metro Cars are really the only non-city bus options. Follow the money: airport parking makes DTW money. Contracts with Taxis and Metro Cars also make money.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Instagram
BEST ONLINE FORUM FOR
DETROIT-BASED DISCUSSION
DetroitYES Awarded BEST OF DETROIT 2015 - Detroit MetroTimes - Best Online Forum for Detroit-based Discussion 2015

ENJOY DETROITYES?


AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »





Welcome to DetroitYES! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
DetroitYES! is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to DetroitYES! [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.