Gannon,

This is a most interesting thread. I'm 28 years old, a male, I lived in Clawson from 1983 to 2006, and in Warren from then on. We rarely leave the windows open at night.

I have never heard this noise you describe. I do hear the train that's 1.25 miles from my house. I also hear 696 which is 1.5 miles from my house.

The television sound you describe I do hear. It drives me nuts and other people can't hear it. I'm unable to sit behind or to the side of a CRT television because the noise gives me a headache and makes me nauseous. My friends think that I'm crazy because they are unable to hear it.

My wife and I did a hearing test once and the results were quite humorous. High frequency sounds would bring hear to her knees, but I was literally deaf to them.

Back to your original subject, this mystery noise, I feel that it's most likely some large industrial equipment producing low frequency noises that travel long distances, but I don't summarily dismiss some of the speculations here.

Out of curiosity, do you remember whether or not you heard the noises during the great blackout of 2003?

I am rather curious of all this!