Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast

John, do you wear hearing protection on the firing range?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    John, do you wear hearing protection on the firing range?
    I cannot remember the last time I was at the range. I just got my weapon back from the W. Bloomfield police...it's been in their possession since I caught someone stealing from my trunk and chased them down, maybe six years ago.

I don't think I've pulled the trigger on that since 2003, tops.

But when I DO go...I'm kinda freaky with keeping my hearing intact, since it is so much of my professional career. I wear double-protection. In-ear and Over-the-ear. If you are wondering if this comes from hearing loss or ringing from high-level percussive sounds.

If that were the case, a whole boatload of Windsor folk would have to be there, too! You know what gunslingers those Canadians are, LOL!!!

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; August-16-11 at 11:41 PM.

I hear you, gunzerfun! LOL

<bump>

John Gallagher from the Freep did a lame story on the hum that ended up on the first page of their on-line addition this morning.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011082...text|FRONTPAGE

I believe he is wrong with this statement, "So far, the hum doesn't seem to be an issue in Detroit."

But of course, I also believe that we've gone a long way towards proving that there may indeed BE a complex answer to this vexing problem...happening all over the world, but worse in certain places.

Where can I find the geological survey data on the depth of ground cover over bedrock?!

Cheers,
    John

This past weekend I was south of Kalamazoo near the Indiana border for a few days...and they've got the hum, too. Very similar to what I heard up in Petoskey, just off Crooked Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    <bump>

John Gallagher from the Freep did a lame story on the hum that ended up on the first page of their on-line addition this morning.

I believe he is wrong with this statement, "So far, the hum doesn't seem to be an issue in Detroit."

But of course, I also believe that we've gone a long way towards proving that there may indeed BE a complex answer to this vexing problem...happening all over the world, but worse in certain places.

Where can I find the geological survey data on the depth of ground cover over bedrock?!

Cheers,
    John

This past weekend I was south of Kalamazoo near the Indiana border for a few days...and they've got the hum, too. Very similar to what I heard up in Petoskey, just off Crooked Lake.
    I was hearing it loud and clear this morning. It's weird, because before I woke up I was dreaming about hearing it [[this has never happened before) and in my dream I was holding this strange metal cup-like object which was being vibrated by the hum to create a higher pitched hum. It was deafening.

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
    I was hearing it loud and clear this morning. It's weird, because before I woke up I was dreaming about hearing it [[this has never happened before) and in my dream I was holding this strange metal cup-like object which was being vibrated by the hum to create a higher pitched hum. It was deafening.
    Curious! I'm no stranger to learning from dreams...and it seems something is trying to get through to you as well.

This was a great example of sympathetic resonance...everything has its own 'sound' or resonant frequency, and when outside energy at the right frequency excites it...things can get quite interesting. Think of that suspension bridge that dissolved during one of the San Francisco earthquakes...or a crystal glass broken by a soprano's voice.

Most engineering of the past 100 years has been studying ways to tame or avoid resonances...when in reality, the opposite is where all the fun stuff resides.

This morning, I woke up at 3 and tried to finally get back to sleep around 5...but it never happened. I noticed the hum, and again caught it increasing in intensity...but no longer get bothered by it. LOL...

Cheers!
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; August-25-11 at 06:43 AM.

After reading today's paper, Gannon isn't seeming as crazy as I first believed.

Don't let a little data sway you, Sport! LOL...

Ravine Guest

Surely, a considerable number of public officials and other assorted suit-wearing persons are now aware of the fact that a significantly large group of citizens are quite certain that they are hearing whatever this "hum" is and that those citizens are significantly disturbed, either physically so, as in sleep-disturbance, or in the sense of being just plain weirded out by it.
    Also, I cannot help but think that some of those persons are quite able to-- at the very, very least-- do a much better job of producing a possible, or even flatly factual, explanation than are folks like us, here, and I will say that it is way past High Time that somebody owned up to knowing something about it.
    It could not be more evident, now, that this issue is not merely [[HAR!!) some goofy aural phantasm produced within the confines of Gannon's skull.
    Last edited by Ravine; August-25-11 at 08:11 AM.

Curious! I'm no stranger to learning from dreams...and it seems something is trying to get through to you as well.

This was a great example of sympathetic resonance...everything has its own 'sound' or resonant frequency, and when outside energy at the right frequency excites it...things can get quite interesting. Think of that suspension bridge that dissolved during one of the San Francisco earthquakes...or a crystal glass broken by a soprano's voice.

Most engineering of the past 100 years has been studying ways to tame or avoid resonances...when in reality, the opposite is where all the fun stuff resides.

This morning, I woke up at 3 and tried to finally get back to sleep around 5...but it never happened. I noticed the hum, and again caught it increasing in intensity...but no longer get bothered by it. LOL...

Cheers!
    John
    Yes, it was a very interesting dream. It makes sense that I would dream about it last night because when I woke up this morning it was louder than usual. It actually sounded more like how so many other people seem to be describing it - like bass from a loud car stereo. Usually I don't hear it so loud and clear and I am sure that anyone could have heard it if they were awake this morning at around that time. It came in waves and actually stopped altogether for a few minutes and then started again. And this time there was also a higher pitched overtone which was giving me a really bad headache.

I am also no stranger to learning from dreams. Actually, last night I took a large dose of vitamin B [[http://b6dreams.com/), which probably had something to do with the clarity of my dream last night. It was interesting, because I was standing there and holding this cup for a very long time and it seemed like I was using it for something, but I am not sure what.

Some Windsorites say the hum grows louder after a rainstorm, leading to much discussion about the conductivity of sound in moist air. Skillings finds the sound louder as she jogs nearer the Detroit River.

I have also noticed this on multiple occasions. Rain and snow definitely seem to make it louder.

LOL, you just HAD to add that last bit, didn't ya Ravine?

I almost took the first paragraph as an endorsement, so glad you specified clearly in the second one. I am sure I couldn't handle the shock much longer.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany View Post

I have also noticed this on multiple occasions. Rain and snow definitely seem to make it louder.

I've noticed that, too. Thought at first it was from a corroded ground wire on my honey's old house...but it was quite annoying up north last year and down south of Kalamazoo last week. Both of those places were on lakes...again, near water.

Cannot say why the amplification, except to float a guess that if there is any purposeful excitation of the human perceptual system...via HAARP or something similar...perhaps they have to use frequencies which also affect water molecules. We are all >60% water.

I need to find the old Popular Science magazines from the 50s where the capabilities of the Tesla power ray were postulated. They said the device could super-heat or super-cool water molecules to affect the weather, at the very least. Vibrating we mere humans en masse would not be too difficult.

A few of the folks on the Windsor/Essex Facebook page...the edited and filtered one...have talked about seeing the water vibrate in their ponds. Everyone seems to agree it gets worse during rain...and I've also noticed it during snow, too.

Cheers,
    John

Ravine Guest

LOL, you just HAD to add that last bit, didn't ya Ravine?

I almost took the first paragraph as an endorsement, so glad you specified clearly in the second one. I am sure I couldn't handle the shock much longer.

Cheers
    Yeah, yeah, a little bit of snark in there, sure, but seriously, I sincerely mean it: Despite the reasonable thought that maybe, just maybe, you attended the same Cobo Hall performance by Deep Purple and the same Masonic Temple performance by Weather Report as did I, thereby permanently mashing down those little fibrous thingies within one's ears and causing one to forever doubt the veracity of that which one's sense of hearing reports to one's brain-- as well as any other *ahem* little issues which may, or may not, be applicable in your, my, or our mutual case-- it's awfully goddam evident that this particular phenomenom is being experienced [[in ways which are, basically, close enough to "the same") by a rather noteworthy amount of folks, and that is as close as we can get to being able to qualify it under the terms of the Generally Accepted Concept-Definition of "Reality."

Still, man, you understand enough about Logic to realize that the above declaration does not mean that you aren't nuts.

Having read John Gallager's article in the Freep this AM the first thought that crossed my mind was how chuffed Gannon must feel. ha ha.

Of the many postulations, the salt mines which underlie both sides of the straits is quite intriguing. In a sense they can be thought of as constituting a huge drum with, albeit, a thick drum skin. What could vibrate that skin, such as seismic activity, is open to speculation.

Other links of interest:
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/WindsorHum/

http://www2.canada.com/windsorstar/n...6-2afeb95879c6

I'm just happy to know I'm not losing my mind. I live near 9 & I-75 and I've heard that annoying humming at night for years. I thought it was my sump pump stuck on run, but it's not inside the house, obviously. I'll need to read through this long thread this weekend.

Just glad to know I'm not crazy, because my husband can't hear it, and it wakes me up and keeps me up every single time.

I know what the hum is. There's an unchartered island in the pacific ocean that keeps disappearing. On this island, there's a code that has to be punched in every 88 minutes. But then this guy named John wouldn't let the code get punched in and then.........! Hold on, I'm confusing this with Lost.

I hope they figure out what this is soon. The only thing new around there is thr drilling for the new bridge and it's been documented that there may be some problems with the designated areas ability to support a foundation. If those concerns are coming to fruition, that may spell the end of the DRIC/NITC. As this would be the second, and most literal way, that it won't be able to support itself.

"Ontario's Ministry of Environment has begun an investigation to rule out possible industrial sources causing the mysterious vibrations."

That was reported in the Windsor Star. It's very disconcerting when an investigation is being conducted to "rule out" as opposed to" discover" what's going on.
    Last edited by kraig; August-25-11 at 01:55 PM.

I can't hear it so I can't judge, but could this possibly be an elaborate prank? Some of those mobile bass speakers can put out some mighty nasty sounds. [[Also, I have memories of turning our dormroom walls into giant bass speakers as a prank.)

Shouldn't this be easy to solve with some kind of acoustic direction finder? Or does the low frequency make that impossible? Or are there multiple sources?

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    I know what the hum is. There's an unchartered island in the pacific ocean that keeps disappearing. On this island, there's a code that has to be punched in every 88 minutes. But then this guy named John wouldn't let the code get punched in and then.........! Hold on, I'm confusing this with Lost.

I hope they figure out what this is soon. The only thing new around there is thr drilling for the new bridge and it's been documented that there may be some problems with the designated areas ability to support a foundation. If those concerns are coming to fruition, that may spell the end of the DRIC/NITC. As this would be the second, and most literal way, that it won't be able to support itself.

"Ontario's Ministry of Environment has begun an investigation to rule out possible industrial sources causing the mysterious vibrations."

That was reported in the Windsor Star. It's very disconcerting when an investigation is being conducted to "rule out" as opposed to" discover" what's going on.
    Couldn't agree more. Hope that's just a wording choice by the journalist, not the Ministry,.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Still, man, you understand enough about Logic to realize that the above declaration does not mean that you aren't nuts.
    Point taken. LOL...it is not easy being stuck in this skull.

Given the momentum and direction the world is going, it may soon be very vogue to be insane.

I've had so many people contact me privately about this hum now...it is becoming a full-time job. I forgot what those were like.

Lowell, I feel sorry for the Freep writer...not sure how they got assigned this story, nor how enthusiastic they are about it...but the FB page for the Windsor/Essex Controlled Group has links to here. A search on hum and Detroit MUST yield a link to this discussion...9200 hits isn't something that google misses often. Plus, I've also been talking with people worldwide on another forum...a conspiracy site, oddly enough. It shouldn't have been very hard for him to discover that indeed people are experiencing this phenomenon on our side of the river.

But, I'm sure if he's a good journalist...with the resources available to them, he should be able to find something out that will please those who demand official explanations over everything else.

Any good word on the weirdness with the post counters, btw?!

Cheers,
    John

Oh, and I talked with our next-door neighbor this afternoon, asking if anyone has trouble sleeping. She said, oddly, that everyone in the house likes to sleep with 'white noise'...fans running...all year long. Since that would trigger that auto-masking trait of our hearing mechanism...it actually is a positive data point. Luckily, her husband is a wild conspiracy theorist...which I didn't really know until today...who'da thunk it. Of all the neighbors in GPP, I'm living between a government drone and a conspiracy guy who may eclipse my theories!

While trying to find other info out there about this problem, I ran across this site with a possible explanation.

This is his post, and the link to the site with various maps and theories.

Chris February 10, 2011 at 9:13 AM
    Mate I live in Adelaide Sth Australia. Got a hum in my house and took me years to understand it. Sleeplessness, headaches and sometimes minor migraines [[which makes me run around and unplug all electrical items out of socket in a craze), leaving me generally unhappy. Thinking it was the fridge I passed it off. Then I thought I could hear the electricity, it made sense to me, but others thought I was going mad. The source turns out to be a power station about 500 metres down the road. On the exact angle my house is to it [[slightly elevated) there is a valley like shape to the area. Standing next to the power station on the angle of my house it is very loud. Move over a few metres and it decreases. There are certain points where the humm seems to be sent out louder than others. Sadly the humm travels up the valley into my house, I think more so than my other neighbors, and hits my front door/bedroom and almost resonates. I showed a friend, who from outside my front door swore it was the fridge. He now also shares my thoughts that it comes from the station. The humm varies depending on weather, wind, background noise [[drowns it out) and temperature. How I am not sure. I have even moved to the far side of the house when it has been bad, only to find it penetrates the whole house. I suggest looking at power stations and angles and your answer will be there. What exactly it is that produces the humm though I dont know as the razor wire fence kept me out. Best time to check the humm is in the quiet of night. I had no luck recording it, but maybe my video camera is not suitable for that. Feel free to get back to me. Perhaps I can be of help.

http://www.unsolvedrealm.com/2010/12...und-the-world/

http://www.unsolvedrealm.com/2011/06...-english-town/
    Last edited by Bigb23; August-25-11 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post

Well, it is necessary to rule out the culprits that one group was targeting for their class action lawsuit. They are the only ones getting press, at the moment.

The hum is apparently an issue down in the Salt Mines, too. Through contacts on that FB page, they've heard that workers in the mines are greatly affected by it, and the cause is definitely not them.

As far as I know, this predates the drilling for the Bridge stuff.

Jimaz,

As much as I'd like to believe in something as simple as that...unless they chased me up to Petoskey last summer, and down to nearly Indiana last week...there is no way it could be local pranksters.

As far as I know, there are few ways to discern the direction of a tone with that low a frequency. Heck, in a home theater, the fine folks at THX say that anything in the bottom two octaves can be reproduced by a single subwoofer in a room...because we feel the pressure but cannot localize the source, because our ears are too close together.

I think it reflects off of bedrock, and that is why it is more apparent in some places. I don't know the source yet, but highly suspect something like the HAARP array or those Iridium satellites. Anything that the oil industry has used to do geological surveys from afar, perhaps. It could be an increasing Schumann Resonance, the heartbeat of the Earth. The cellular system. The AC power grid [[which is the highest likelihood, since we've proven that MK-Ultra testing had been done locally, with results similar to the effects on some people, and I know the guy who was warned off of marketing a certain feature of his power conditioner...never forget him!). Or any combination of these.

Cheers...

BigB,

That dovetails with the AC grid theory...but does NOT exclude possible nefarious uses of it. This fellow may also be proving out my proximity to bedrock postulate, too.

Cheers

Interestingly, there's a company called Tessonics, Inc. near the center of the area in the Freep's map:

But they seem to be more into ultrasonics. Maybe they're branching out into other frequencies?

This is a bump, to see if anyone has had any experiences lately.

I've been quite busy, and have been sleeping like a deadman at the end of the days.

Stress may mask the sensitivity to this noise, the more high-strung I get from the busy-ness of my business...the less this seems to affect me.

Cheers

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast