Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I live in Corktown, I'd love to have a brewery nearby. Go for it!

If you contact Connor realty, you will get info on who to contact since that web site isn't working.

Hey 7/D, you sound very excited about your idea, and it seems folks around here are also supportive of the brewpub notion. And while I wouldn't want to spoil your dream, I think you might want to re-think the plan.

Running any kind of biz is tough, but a restaurant is really tough. Triple tough if you never done it before.

What you might want to do is dovetail your dream of being a brewmaster with someone who is already running a restaurant. I would hate to see your dream fail just because you couldn't brew the beer, handle the books, manage the seating, make the sandwiches and bus the tables.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Hey 7/D, you sound very excited about your idea, and it seems folks around here are also supportive of the brewpub notion. And while I wouldn't want to spoil your dream, I think you might want to re-think the plan.

Running any kind of biz is tough, but a restaurant is really tough. Triple tough if you never done it before.

What you might want to do is dovetail your dream of being a brewmaster with someone who is already running a restaurant. I would hate to see your dream fail just because you couldn't brew the beer, handle the books, manage the seating, make the sandwiches and bus the tables.
    Wasn't really planning on running a restaurant. More of a taproom/production brewery only. I don't think I ever said I was going to open a brew pub. I've worked in far too many restaurants to want to run one of those and brew beer.

Too bad its already taken - the metal artist Kristyn Koth makes her home in a funny old building near the Coktown Hostel. I asked her what it had been and she said that it was an early Vernor's Bottling plant.

Quote Originally Posted by 7 & Van Dyke View Post
    Wasn't really planning on running a restaurant. More of a taproom/production brewery only. I don't think I ever said I was going to open a brew pub. I've worked in far too many restaurants to want to run one of those and brew beer.
    In order to sell your own beer on the premises, you have to offer food as well. It's the law in Michigan for some reason.

popcorn, a panini press and some carry out menus should cover that.

I'm on the Corktown Citizens District Council. Message me and I'll hook ya up with some people to talk to. I'm sure the community would love to have you, and I know plenty of locals who'd be drinking your locally brewed goodies...

Can't wait till you open. I can drink a lot of beer in the 2 hours I'm waiting for a table at Slow's. lol

Dragonmeade doesn't, or didn't, offer food, but you could bring in your own carryout from elsewhere. Did the rules change recently? I don't think the brewery out in Webberville offered much in the way of food, or the one in Warren. Oh, yeah, Malty Dog, too, no real food. I remember this, because my husband loves brew pubs, and I don't like beer, so I like them if they have food.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; August-04-11 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Dragonmeade doesn't, or didn't, offer food, but you could bring in your own carryout from elsewhere. Did the rules change recently? I don't think the brewery out in Webberville offered much in the way of food, or the one in Warren. Oh, yeah, Malty Dog, too, no real food. I remember this, because my husband loves brew pubs, and I don't like beer, so I like them if they have food.
    It's true, some brewerys work around this law by selling pretzels and other junk as food. Like Kuhnhenn's offers pizza which I'm pretty sure is just frozen pizza, or MCB who used to just have a cheese platter.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I was thinking of the idea of just having carryout menus or getting together with the local restaurants and setting up some type of carryout or delivery service. It could be a way to help everyone in the neighborhood out.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Can't wait till you open. I can drink a lot of beer in the 2 hours I'm waiting for a table at Slow's. lol
    I've have not been to Slow's yet but my sister has told me that the waits can be ridiculously long. They have a great beer selection that I have seen on their web site.

Quote Originally Posted by ResurgetCineribus View Post
    In order to sell your own beer on the premises, you have to offer food as well. It's the law in Michigan for some reason.
    Giant fresh German Pretzels and spicy mustard.

Haha! Here's what you do. Just offer Slow's carryout and you can get all of the people that don't want to wait to dine in at Slow's.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    Haha! Here's what you do. Just offer Slow's carryout and you can get all of the people that don't want to wait to dine in at Slow's.
    Everyone on this message board beat's Slow's down for the long waits and some on the food. I can't say anything about either facet because I haven't been. Personally, I don't wait longer than a half hour for food. There are a few breakfast places in Philly that people start lining up at every day and wait for 2 or 3 hours for brunch. That's just pointless. Sorry, but no food is worth a 2 or 3 hour wait.

Nobody goes there anymore, it is too crowded...

Quote Originally Posted by jsmyers View Post
    Nobody goes there anymore, it is too crowded...
    Reminds me of this recently published ditty:
    “It's becoming a bar town,” said Dolores Davis, who lives in a condominium on Penniman. “People don't go downtown now because it's [[crowded) with people in the bars.”

Here's a new website that sounds like something you would be interested in since it's about starting up a business and offering $$$ www.hatchdetroit.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2